shape
carat
color
clarity

Posting Gemstones to US

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I recently purchased a gemstone which I didn''t quite love, so I intend to return it to the cutter. I went to the post office in my country, they accepted it and the next day, they returned the package and postage to me, saying that gemstones are prohitbited/restricted import items in the US?

I have returned a couple of gemstones a couple of years ago without problems. Anyone with similar issues shipping gemstones from outside of US into the US? When you do ship the gemstones, what do you declare them as? Gemstones? Minerals? Jewelry?

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/9/2009 7:49:39 PM
Author:simplysplendid
Hi,

I recently purchased a gemstone which I didn''t quite love, so I intend to return it to the cutter. I went to the post office in my country, they accepted it and the next day, they returned the package and postage to me, saying that gemstones are prohitbited/restricted import items in the US?

I have returned a couple of gemstones a couple of years ago without problems. Anyone with similar issues shipping gemstones from outside of US into the US? When you do ship the gemstones, what do you declare them as? Gemstones? Minerals? Jewelry?
What is the source country and what type of gemstone is it? The US doesn''t have import restrictions on unmounted gemstones, unless it''s a Ruby.

--Joshua

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been told to declare them as "craft supplies," but that is more to deter theft. Still, it may work for you...

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/9/2009 7:49:39 PM
Author:simplysplendid
Hi,

Something''s wrong here. I import cut and rough gems into the U.S. all the time from many points in the world. There are no restrictions (except on Burmese ruby and jadeite) and little or no Customs duty depending on whether the items are set in jewelry. More information is needed, especially the country you''re shipping from and how the item was described for Customs purposes. I have a hunch the problem may lie with your own postal people who may not be sufficiently familiar with U.S. regulations.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 11:19:43 PM
Author: Richard M.

Something''s wrong here. I import cut and rough gems into the U.S. all the time from many points in the world. There are no restrictions (except on Burmese ruby and jadeite) and little or no Customs duty depending on whether the items are set in jewelry. More information is needed, especially the country you''re shipping from and how the item was described for Customs purposes. I have a hunch the problem may lie with your own postal people who may not be sufficiently familiar with U.S. regulations.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

ditto Richard. That was also my understanding re. importing gems to the US.

Sending gems from Australia (both for returns or sending out for projects), I have never encountered this issue.

Mostly, I will declare mine as mineral sample to deter theft.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All, thank you very much for your input, it is very helpful. I will try to send mine via express courier/UPS tomorrow. Rich, I thought that it has to do with the lack of awareness on the part of my postal service too.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 11:19:43 PM
Author: Richard M.
There are no restrictions (except on Burmese ruby and jadeite)

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

hi Rick
I am curious
Is the restrictions in the form of heavy duties that need to be paid and tedious paper work or are the rubies and jadeite outright banned from being shipped/imported into the USA?

Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies and Jadeite are banned outright from being imported from Myanmar.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/10/2009 12:54:25 PM
Author: Chrono
Rubies and Jadeite are banned outright from being imported from Myanmar.
... and there must be documentation if you plan on importing those stones from another country as to where they were mined showing they were not mined in Myanmar.

--Joshua

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS are you in the UK? I send gemstones to the US all the time. Just don''t write gemstones or rubies or topaz or whatever on the packet. Put something like craft supplies as suggested above.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone.. yes Lovingdiamonds, I will be putting it down as craft supplies..

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/10/2009 12:32:17 PM
Author: haagen_dazs

hi Rick

I am curious

Is the restrictions in the form of heavy duties that need to be paid and tedious paper work or are the rubies and jadeite outright banned from being shipped/imported into the USA?

Thanks

The Tom Lantos Block Burmese JADE Act of 2008 was enacted by Congress supposedly as an economic retaliation against the oppressive military dictatorship in Myanmar/Burma. The effect against the generals has been nonexistent. But it''s really hurt small miners and gem traders in Myanmar and in other countries as well. It''s virtually put several U.S. companies out of business.

Worse, it put the burden of enforcement on postal and customs authorities who don''t know anything about gems. They tend to confiscate any parcel with the words "Burma" or "Myanmar" even if the contents are non-ban items like spinel, maw sit sit, etc.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS - use International Signed for post (available from the Post Office). You can get added insurance in case your parcel is lost but can put whatever you want on the customs label including value.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results