shape
carat
color
clarity

possible to find?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

susana0207

Rough_Rock
GIA, 1.6 carats, F or G color, VS1 or VS2 clarity, excellent or very good cut around $12,000 -$13,000?

Agent3Civ

Shiny_Rock
have you searched sites with that criteria?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a few listings with GIA reports on the 'virtual' list that meet the criteria, and I would not shy away from one as long as the proportions are available (i.e. the lab report is of the new kind with cut grades on) and sound nice.

There are a couple with 'Very Good' and 'Excellent' finish grades that sound tempting, but there is no copy of the the lab report online
38.gif

For example... between the two listed by 'Agent3Civ'

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00357988&filter_id=0

This one has 'strong blue' fluorescence , and while I wouldn't say that is a hard to love feature, you might want to see if it is good or bad for you. Many like the slight 'glow' of these diamonds. However, 'strong blue' is not a very tight range, and a small minority of these stones take up a chalky haze when the fluorescence is 'turned on'.

The proportions are listed on the lab report:
Weight: 1.52cts
Size: 7.62-7.71 <--- not 'oval', but most are tighter.
Depth: 59.2
Table: 62
Finish (Good/Good)
Girdle: very thin - slightly thick <--- wish "very thin' wouldn't be there
crown angle: 30.5 <--- see below..
pavilion: 41.8
star:55
lgf: 80

IMO, relatively shallow crown angle and thin girdle are not a happy combination - even if there will be insurance, who cares for a chipped diamond? (below 30 degrees crown angle, GIA would make a note on the lab report, because of the said durability issue - this one is just a hair above that!)

The other buddy sounds better, IMO.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00451525&filter_id=0

Weight: 1.58
Size: 7.51 - 754
1.gif

Finish: (Good/Good) <--- it looks like this is the thing that made the cut grade 'VG' rather then 'Ex', for what tha's worth.
Crown: 35
Pavilion: 40.6
Star: 55
Lgf: 85
Girdle: very thin - slightly thick <--- same as above, but... the crown isn't shallow anymore. 'Extremely thin' would go out of
the running IMO, this... maybe worth checking in, because everything else sounds good?

The SI1 at James Allen (same as above) sounds like a safer bet, IMO - with pictures present. And the slightly larger size doesn't hurt either. Clarity doesn't seem to be a problem judging from what and where those inclusions are.

Btw. Did you give a try to the Cut Adviser ? At least among the GIA certified stones, I find the tool useful to judge what those proportions mean. E.g. this time, the shallow fellow got a HCA score of 3.5 (not great), the nicer one from Blue Nile came in tops (0.9 'Excellent Tolkowsky Ideal range). etc.

I wish there were pictures of this better stone from BN, because of the VS clarity grade (even if both this and the SI are eye clean etc... why not). The existing info doesn't tell me if this stone is H&A or near (as the one from James Allen looks like), and would want to know before deciding
38.gif
- somewhat a matter of opinion, I guess.

My 2c

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I have read and reread these posts..but didn''t see anywhere where the op said what shape diamond they were looking for.

I''m sure it''s there somewhere, I''m just not seeing it.

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
The diamond Virginia posted from James Allen looks very sweet.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen THIS ? H&A ''A Cut Above'' and a lucky G/SI1... sound good to me.

There''s something else, a general search among the database listings here, turned out quite a few D-F / VSs with GIA reports, medium or less fluorescence and Vg-Ex finish... but no further information. It can''t hurt to ask about one of these - without calling them or getting details about proportions etc. otherwise I don''t know how to compare them with the stone listed with better info. The difference of grades seems worth a question or two.

The search I run was for:

"Round shape, 1.5–1.6 cts, D–E color, VS1–VS2 clarity, 59–62% depth, 53–58% table, $100–13500, GIA & AGS certified"

It return 29 listings (probably a dozen stones each with multiple listings), among which most ''strong blue'' and ''very strong'' blue fluorescence that lowered the price tag a bit, and THIS - 1.5 D/VS2, medium fluorescence...

Also, one E-SI1 that may be AGS0 (only the ''Ideal'' finish grades show in the listing).

The H&A are meant to be a very safe bet shopping online (and exquisite diamonds, regardless). If you only had a day to put together a ring, well... WF did the work making a tight selection. Otherwise, if there is more time and patience available from our part.... it may not be a waste of time to look into other options with higher grades that would take time to call in and take a look at etc. Especially if the H&A status is not an absolute requirement.

Just an opinion.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results