shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Which terms do you use to refer to the diamonds in the two PS forums?

Which terms do you use to refer to the diamonds in the two PS forums?

• natural diamonds

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • mined diamonds

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • earth grown diamonds or EGD

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • earth mined diamonds or EMD

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • earth diamonds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lab diamonds

Votes: 31 37.3%
  • lab grown diamonds or LGD

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • man-made diamonds or MMD

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • lab created diamonds

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • synthetic diamonds

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bouncing off a side discussion in the falling prices thread... please select one of each type.

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Does natural = EMD? There is a fair amount of processing (color enhancement, inclusion treatment) that can occur to mined diamonds that would cause them not to be "natural" in my eyes.

I look forward to the days when we have moon mined or Venus mined diamonds.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I have used the phrase type 3 diamonds when referring LGD. Garry had explained about Type 1 diamonds and Type 2 diamonds in the thread about falling diamond prices and I thought that calling Lab diamonds Type 3 diamonds would be a better way of marketing them. It sounds classier to me.

I also liked that DeBeer named their collection "Lightbox diamonds." I thought that was good marketing.

I have used EMD, LGD. I really like Type 3 Diamonds the best.

Annette

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I choose the ones I used the most but I will use various names on various threads...I guess I'm not very consistent (yet).

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’ve learned that some people are sensitive about this. Including me:)
I don’t like the term “synthetic “ referring to LGDs.
Other dealers who don’t sell lab stones have objected to the term “Earth Mined Diamonds “ because they felt the association with mining was negative to a sizable segment of buyers

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I use anything other than mined and mmd it is because I went back and changed it.
In my mind they are mined and mmd.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
OEC or Transitional.

Are there really any other options? :lol-2:

I never say “fake” cause lab diamonds are equally gorgeous. I just personally fall for the romantic history behind antique diamonds. My phone recognizes OEC. My husband still doesn’t speak Pricescope.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Poll participants need to be able to select more than two terms as many of us use more than one for each kind of diamond. I was not able to cast a vote because of this.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poll participants need to be able to select more than two terms as many of us use more than one for each kind of diamond. I was not able to cast a vote because of this.

I get that, but I was trying to see the results for which two terms each person used most often. It might have been harder to interpret the results if everyone selected all the terms they ever used.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does natural = EMD? There is a fair amount of processing (color enhancement, inclusion treatment) that can occur to mined diamonds that would cause them not to be "natural" in my eyes.

I look forward to the days when we have moon mined or Venus mined diamonds.

If there is any treatment other than cutting and polishing then it is picked up by labs and declared. the reusltant diamonds are discounted severely.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use natural diamond vs lab diamonds

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The term that is missing is "diamond" being the correct legal term for a natural untreated diamond.

I agree. I wonder if lab diamonds had been given a different name—as in not using the term diamond at all—maybe called Diamonique—would people still purchase them? Would they be as popular if they were completely disassociated from diamonds?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It would only let me select two, but here's my full list.
"Other" being Human Grown Diamonds

Screenshot_20230926-112107-698.png

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I agree. I wonder if lab diamonds had been given a different name—as in not using the term diamond at all—maybe called Diamonique—would people still purchase them? Would they be as popular if they were completely disassociated from diamonds?

IMHO this right here was the LGD victory.

It would only let me select two, but here's my full list.
"Other" being Human Grown Diamonds

+1 for human.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results