shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Which frames look best for new glasses?

Help me pick new glasses

• Pair 1

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Pair 2

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Pair 3

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Pair 4

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • keep old pair

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • None of these

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello PSers :)

I'm due to get new glasses soon and I hate picking out frames. I'm very indecisive and never quite sure what looks good on me and it takes forever. I finally took a trip to check some out and I found a few that were okay. 2 of the pairs are the same but different colors. The photos aren't very flattering but at least you have an idea of what they look like.

Up here glasses are expensive (well they are everywhere) and I haven't had a check up in over 4 years and am due for a new pair. However I only need them for seeing far away (such as driving) and my eyes are terrible so I *could* keep my current ones if I don't find anything I love enough to drop 300-500.00 on with lens and the new glasses. I'm going to try and get them online if I can-but I can't quite figure out the sizing aspect of the glasses but I just looked up one pair and they are almost 100.00 cheaper to get just the frames online-I'm not even sure about the lenses themselves. Most of the glasses come in different colors as well if the style looks good but not the colors.

When you get a prescription do they have all the sizing info on it? Or just the lens prescription?
My current glasses photo was taken when I was pregnant and I had a little more weight on me so my face is a bit thinner but I can't find another photo of me wearing my glasses-I usually take them off for photos.

Contacts aren't an option since I hate them :???:

Thanks!

p1030551.jpg

p1030552.jpg

p1030553.jpg

_5998.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my current pair

p1010997.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love pair three on you, they look very elegant

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, you're so pretty! I don't think I'd ever seen a photo of you before!

I really like the first pair. That little tile at the end, the almost cats-eye thing? Very flattering, very cool and unusual.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boy... the first ones look so "heavy" to me... I acutally like the ones you have already the best of the choices.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I always tend towards darker glasses too. We have similar coloring and I recently had the realization that lighter colors look better on me for glasses.

I agree that I like your current glasses best the others seems a little too dark/heavy

For more affordable options, does replacementlensexpress.com or zennioptical.com or framesdirect.com or costal.com ship to Canada? If so, those might be a lot more affordable...I am waiting on a pair right now from replacementlensexpress.com and went with this frame:http://www.vogue-eyewear.com/us/product/detail/vo2764/2017/

I'll let you know how they turn out:) I tried the frames on in a lenscrafters and loved them. I'm a little nervous b/c I have thick lenses (I am nearsighted) and am worried there will be a lot of distortion, but I am hoping that it will be ok. The frames just looked so nice I threw caution to the wind...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today the trendy frames are horizontal slits.

I'm not sure why but I run away from trendy.
I voted 1.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't LOVE any--I like the width of the first two on you, and the height of the latter two. And I like the blue and the black and the brown a lot on your skin.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pick would be your current.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1367517750|3438893 said:
My pick would be your current.

I agree. Do you have a shop in the area that can put your new prescription in your old frames? We have one in the area (at least) that can do that. The only warning they give is that they aren't responsible for any damage.

Of the selection posted, i like 3 and 4.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm going with #1. I have a similar pair and was afraid they'd be too trendy (hipster/geek chic), but I actually like the larger frames because my field of vision is wider. My old pair is similar to yours (smaller, rectangular frames) and I never wear them anymore.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Pairs 3 and 4 look too wide for your face, but they may come in a smaller size as most glasses have more than one size. I think pair 2 fits your face shape the best, but I don't like the color as well on you as the others. I actually like your present glasses the best. And in answer to your question for ordering online-is all the info you need on your RX? - no,it's not. You also need a couple of other measurements for frames which are usually done by the optician at the optical shop.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 is nice but too wide. I .i,e your current ones better than any of your choices.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
See, I LOVE 1, but I don't think it flatters your face shape. I actually have similar frames that I realy love on. I voted for 3, but I also like your original pair. That shape seems to flatter your face more..to me, anyway :)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to thank everyone for their time (feel free to still chime in!) and I also wanted to add an even OLDER pair of glasses to the choices since I do still have these from when I was a teenager. I actually liked them so much I replaced them with the same pair (I got the first pair in middle school, then these again when I was graduated, then the ones I currently have). I could get a new script for these I'm sure as well if these look better.

I'm going to go to a larger store I think since the one in my town is super small. I am really grateful for all the thoughts/advice/opinions thus far though!

I'm not going for trendy since I really don't care much for trends. I have a unique personality and LOVE rainbows and things that are unique and want to expresses myself that way. I personally really liked pair 1 but my husband said they make me look like a nerd :rolleyes: but said I'm the one wearing them so get what I want.

here are the older pair that I have. I like these still am and wearing them now since my vision hasn't changed a ton.

_6012.jpg

_6013.jpg

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
I think your current pair looks the best!
500$? Wow, I'd find out if Zenni delivers to where you are!!
I tend to be really cheap on my glasses since I'm really rough on them (horrible I know!)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like your current pair the best. I voted 3 and then saw it was the closest option to what you already have!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your current pair best too.

It's HARD to pick out glasses I think! Takes my husband like...10 minutes *maybe* and he always gets ones that look so nice on him. I'm in there trying everything on hemming and hawing and anxious. I feel your pain.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still vote current pair.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One is my least favorite, while I really like #3, and your current pair best. As others have noted, lighter frames.

My suggestion based on what I've noticed about the frames that look good on me - and it's borne out by the fact that so many people like your current frames, is to get frames that don't obscure your eyebrows and that also follow the line of your eyebrows as closely as possible. It seems to work every time, for me at least.

And consider rimless. I resisted them for a long time because I just like frames, but I confess I've adored my rimless glasses - light and almost not there with no lines in your peripheral vision. Just something to think about...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going w the current pair as well. They seem to suit the size of your face very well and don't extend beyond. I like a softer colour on you, not the harsh strong colours. You have a great face shape!

I've ordered twice from Zenni optical and their prices were very good. I uploaded a full face shot and tried on virtual frames and narrowed down from there. Nothing is cutting edge or new trends, but good product for the price. Good luck!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do really like #2 on you, I like the color, the shape, the width, and the more narrow nose bridge... they just seem very well-proportioned to your face shape and to your eye structure - and I think the blue would play very well with your coloring.

[eta: why do I think the #2 frames are blue? I don't know.]

To me, #1 seems too heavy, and while #3 and #4 are okay, I'm not sold on the frame colors.

I do like your current frames - I think they look nice on you. And I'm not a big fan of your older pair.

* For glass prescriptions, I think you just get the lens numbers... I believe all the measurements relating to frame fitting are only taken if you are getting your frames made by that vendor.

(I recently had my eye exam at LensCrafters and also had them do new prescription glasses for me (regular and sunglasses). The person helping me took all kinds of manual and digital measurements re: eyes, pupils, face width, etc., to determine frame size/width and lens orientation - he put all this info into their computer under my customer profile. When I walked out the door after paying for the glasses and exam, I had my receipt and also the prescription for my lens... but nothing written as to my face/eye measurements. I will tell you the one time I had prescription glasses filled/made for me by an online vendor, I later found out that the orientation of the prescription lens was off-center in the frame... that was some years back, and I don't recall the vendor, but that incident did put me off trying online again.)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!

Thank you all SO VERY VERY VERY much for all the advice and detailed information. At this point I'm going to keep my current frames but still pop into a shop or two and check out new ones.

I also checked out that online shop that you guys said to check out-and under 20.00 for a pair of frames! I plan on uploading my photo and "trying" on glasses to find a couple of pairs to buy. I don't plan on having them fill my prescription though-but I can take the frames in to some place that *will* fill them if I like them enough to do so.

I'd take the time to respond individually but my son is awake and needs to be paid attention to-he's almost 7 months old now and really interacting.

Again thank you guys SO much-you've been SO helpful! Thank you all for the compliments too-it's good to hear that I'm pretty since I was like omg I can't believe I'm uploading these horrible freaking photos to PS. I look like a blob! I look like that everyday pretty much now-I no longer really wear make up and my hair is so stinking long and I have ZERO hair skills it's just in a long pony every day.

I'll keep you up to date on my glasses-thanks SO SO SO much everyone for your time/advice and honesty :)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I think that Pair One is in perfect proportion to your face, width-wise and length-wise.

And also, you look like Courtney Cox!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I like frames #2 the best on you. The 1st pair look too big and 3 and 4 look too wide and short. I do like your current pair as well.

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
I'm late to the party! I like your old glasses the best. I actually just picked out new glasses for myself so I feel your pain. I prefer square type of frames but shops are full of the heavier style like you posted.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I like your current ones the best. And I just wanted to say that I am seeing more and more big frames, like the '80s frames, or round or cateye or horn rim '40s and '50s frames cropping up here and there.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like your current ones the best on your face. I say stick with those or that same shape if
you want to upgrade. You might consider a pair the same shape but with a wider ear piece.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results