shape
carat
color
clarity

Politically incorrect or not?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deia|1327933258|3114803 said:
I find it rather offensive when someone is right in front of me, sees that I am going to walk through the same door they are going to, and that someone walks through it and does not at least push it back open a little bit 0 just lets it slam in my face. Man, woman, whatever, Idon't like it. I always hold the door for anyone, whether you have bags or not.

That woman seems to have issues that probably do not relate to a door...or a man holding it...maybe she does not get the respect she deserves from the men she works with and took it out on your husband, I dunno.

One thing I am now used to which I used to find a bit awkward is how pretty much every single time I take the elevator at my office to go to the ground floor, all the men in the elevator going to the same floor all wait inside so I can walk out. I found it so weird...but it seems to be a British thing. Now I am used to it and actually think to myself "pfft you have no manners" when one of them just walks out in front of me lol.

I'm British and most of the men in elevators where I live don't let me out first. Maybe i'm not ladylike enough :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For her to react that way there must be more to the story that we are not privy to.

I also try to be gender neutral in how I treat others in the workplace.

Woman's lib killed chivalry.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Deia|1327933258|3114803 said:
One thing I am now used to which I used to find a bit awkward is how pretty much every single time I take the elevator at my office to go to the ground floor, all the men in the elevator going to the same floor all wait inside so I can walk out. I found it so weird...but it seems to be a British thing. Now I am used to it and actually think to myself "pfft you have no manners" when one of them just walks out in front of me lol.
The men in my office do this in the lift too! I hadn't really come across it before, or at least I hadn't noticed. We have a building of very polite men :bigsmile:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I ride the elevator with men, they almost always give me the "after you" treatment and I politely thank them. When I'm passing through a doorway, often times people of both sexes will hold it for me, and I do the same - depending on who reaches the door first. Today I was going to lunch with a former colleague (male) and he consistently held the door open for me and made sure to reach the door first. He was being polite and it's just the way he was raised - it wasn't something he thought about - you could tell it was just a natural reaction and I've seen him do it with other women too. I find it funny and old fashioned, but it's totally not a big deal, and I never feel awkward about it. It's like saying "bless you" after someone sneezes - it's an automatic response that isn't overly meaningful - it's just polite.

There's such a shortness of kindness in the world, I'll happily accept and appreciate these small acts of courtesy.

I ride the bus with a wonderful and sweet guy. He's a bit older than me, maybe 15 years or so. When the bus is crowded he always offers his seat to the ladies. He insists upon it - as soon as the bus starts to get full he gets up and leaves his seat empty for someone to take. He has a "posse" of several other guys he's recruited into this same habit. It's really important to him and he thinks it's wrong for others who don't offer to stand and give their seat up. At first, I declined his offer and let someone else have the seat. Then I accepted a couple of times, but it felt funny to have a seat because I'm a woman - makes no real logical sense. Now I politely decline the seat and let someone else have it - I'm young, healthy and capable of standing for an hour. But despite that, I certainly don't think anything negative about this nice man at all! He's doing what he thinks is right and polite - I appreciate his kindness even if sex-based social courtesies don't really make sense to me.

On a small tangent, I was riding the BART train in SF once many years ago and a young teen boy offered his seat to a lady who was left standing on a crowded bus. She tore him a new one - the poor kid looked like he was going to cry. He didn't even say anything in his defense, just stared at the ground and said sorry. She was a horrible woman!

Another time on BART I gave up my seat to a very grateful, very pregnant woman and was shocked that no one else made the same offer. People just avoided eye contact and stared through her. Most everyone on that train should have offered their seat to her, not just the guys, but no one did and I thought that was awful.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot imagine berating someone over an act of common courtesy, but obviously there are people in the world who feel as though everything is a personal affront. Or, they just weren't brought up to feel comfortable with basic human civility.

More often than not, men hold doors for me. Women rarely do. Not sure why the discrepancy; I am female and was taught to always be aware of my fellow humans and never allow a door to slam in someone's face because it's rude--nothing to do with gender.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes men will hold the door open for me. I'm very flattered when they do. Sorry. I hold open the door for men or women if they're right behind me, and particularly for women, and men I find masculine and attractive. Wow, it's a free-for-all of political correction violation in my world. :o

As for her yelling at him and cursing him, in the name of manners?! I think that shows who was right and wrong in the situation. :sick:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Bizarro. I hold doors open for everybody and thank people when they hold them open for me. Part of life's small pleasures and an opportunity to share smiles.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol Maisie, the men you've encountered in lifts just don't have good manners then!

There is so much gender biased courtesy here, so funny. Men often offer their seats up for me, and pregnant women (correctly so) always get a seat. This one guy that takes the train with me in the morning is an ass though, and goes out of his way to try and get an empty seat ahead of you...to the point where he pushes you to get in front. I don't get that... anyway...interestingly enough my sister was saying that when she was pregnant, both times, not a single soul offered her their seat on the NYC subway. That's so sad...what's wrong with society.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She was rude, pure and simple. There is no reason for cursing someone in public, ever, and especially not when they're trying to be pleasant, even if you don't agree with how it manifests. The world is full of enough anger and hate.

The world is full of places like the Congo, and Sierra Leone, and Afghanistan. I refuse to bitch about man holding the door open for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results