shape
carat
color
clarity

Polishing a platinum ring

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Hi, just after some advice. Had my wedding set polished after re sizing and couldn't believe how lovely the platinum looked after.

However they have taken a tiny tiny chip out of my engagement ring, not enough to go back and say anything as I know it will quickly scratch again anyway but my question is will it polish out next time and will it harm my ring to frequently have it polished?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
So the chip is in the platinum and not the stone, right? It is my understanding that when a platinum piece is scratched, nicked, or polished, the platinum is actually moved around and none is lost. Gold will lose a minuscule amount when the above occurs.

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Hi, yes the chip is in the platinum band, not the diamond.

Just worried if I have it polished frequently it will ruin the ring

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Any time metal is polished and/or buffed, it is removing some of the metal (which compromises it). Having a piece of jewelry refurbished every once in a while is fine (especially if they are checking for loose stones, etc.), but I wouldn't have frequent refurbishing that included polishing/buffing.

Sophie

Rough_Rock
That's really helpful thanks!

I'm guessing the one off polish will be ok then and maybe even a yearly one?

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
momhappy|1370910886|3463066 said:
Any time metal is polished and/or buffed, it is removing some of the metal (which compromises it). Having a piece of jewelry refurbished every once in a while is fine (especially if they are checking for loose stones, etc.), but I wouldn't have frequent refurbishing that included polishing/buffing.

Plat. doesn't lose metal when polished - when plat. scratches the metal is just displaced, whereas with gold it is lost. so when polishing plat. the metal is just "put back into place" so to speak!

Sophie

Rough_Rock
I had heard that but wasn't sure if it was true

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results