shape
carat
color
clarity

Polish...does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arnel_Regina

Rough_Rock
Can some of you experts shed light on this question? Is there a visible difference between the ideal polish and excellent polish? If there are two diamonds exactly the same except for their polish grades, will one sparkle more? Will one attract more dirt?

How is polish graded? If a diamond is graded as very poor polish, could a cutter just take the stone and polish it until it has a higher polish grade?

Maybe this is a stupid question, for which I do apologize. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
I had the same question myself. I am certainly no expert, but have aborbed a lot just by reading over all the posts and info on this site!

I consulted this in the PScope advanced tutorial: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp. Basically for the top graded RB cut you can do VG and above in polish and symmetry and still have a very nice stone.

A B&M jeweler once told me that polish and symmetry have to do with how each individual facet is polished, and is each facet cut symmetrically...not sure if that makes sense, and not sure if that''s even right
2.gif

I would look further into that tutorial, perhaps you will find more info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results