shape
carat
color
clarity

Polish and symmetry EX --> G

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

informer

Rough_Rock
What is the difference in appearance between polish and symmetry when comparing Ex VG Good?

Im looking at some diamonds in my price range and notice I can get less expensive diamonds with sometimes VVS2 clarity at great prices when Polish/sym = VG or G

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is no detectable (to you and me) difference.
2.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2005 10:27:45 AM
Author:informer
What is the difference in appearance between polish and symmetry when comparing Ex VG Good?

Im looking at some diamonds in my price range and notice I can get less expensive diamonds with sometimes VVS2 clarity at great prices when Polish/sym = VG or G
Honestly--I think you will notice polish more than symmetry--i would aim for at least very good polish. Symmetry is not necessarily going to make a huge difference .........symmetry is (in my opinion) more important visually with step cut stones than others but yes you are correct about the values. Clarity guaranteed you nothing though but a clearer crystal..........i wouldnt pay for the super premium of VVS1 or 2.

if you stick with at least good in general you are probbaly alright but a VG Vg stone is a much better value than EX and with little discernible visual difference

an ideal value combo might be something like this: G vs1, VG VG Med fluor. ..................

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
GIA concluded last year that there is negligible visible difference between G, VG and EX in symmetry and polish. However, since that time they've revised that to only VG and EX for their top grades, as they found naked eyed experts who could sometimes detect lower symmetry in diamonds receiving Good or lower.

Bear in mind that this is on GIA grading reports: VG on certain other lab reports may not be as strict as GIA VG.

As for AGS: At one time they were considered including IDEAL and EX in their new AGS0 grades but have since decided against that - for reasons of maintaining a 'standard of excellence.'

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results