shape
carat
color
clarity

polarized sunglasses - hard decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
I''ve been wearing polarized glasses for several years, most recently Ray Ban and before that Mau Jim. It''s time for a new pair and I''m having quite a bit of trouble making a final decision. First I wanted fashionable sunglasses so I got some Tom Ford but they weren''t polarized so I wasn''t satisfied with them.
I went to the sunglass store and they had Salt Optical, which are polarized and quite fashionable (many with gradient lenses and beautiful handmade plastic frames). I got a pair of those and DH was not impressed with frame color.
I went back and got some Kaenon, which all the sales people (3 of them) thought were excellent product and best frame shape for my face. Now I''m having doubts about them as the frame is not beautiful like Salt frames (plain brown colored). This is getting embarassing and I''m not even sure they will exchange them for me another time. But I figure if I can make a decision and I''m insistent enough they will do for me one more time. (store has a 14 day exchange policy).
Anyone else out there crazy indecisive like me? I fell like I''m making too much of this, but once I spend $200 or more on sunnies I want to be happy with them for a couple of years.
Suggestions? (other brand I was considering was Persol...nice and timeless but shape was not quite as good on me)
Once you''ve determined lens is good, which is next in importance for you?
Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly I usually buy for shape and then have polarized lenses put in when I have my prescription ones put in. You just need to make sure that you buy glasses that can accommodate a lens changes/prescription lenses and then you can always get polarized added.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
another option is to get whatever frames you really like, then take them into an optical shop to see if they can make polarized lenses for that frame. Some frames will not accept a new lens, but many will.
eta- okay, I didn't see neatfreaks post....
37.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own many brands. Polarized cuts glare which matters a lot if you are near snow or on the water a lot. For everyday wear I am not sure how much it really matters. I think Kaenon are cool, I own a few pairs and they are unusual in color which I like. Persols are boring shapes. Maui Jim is starting to get a bit more into fashion as is Serengetti, which has a good lens but can be heavy and not as stylish. Get what YOU like, forget your boyfriend or the SA opinions, get what you like best.

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
I returned the Kaenon glasses and purchased the most expensive pair of Salt Optics. The Kaenons were nice but the Salts are more fashiony and I was feeling that I wanted that this time around. Thanks for all your advice.
emsmile.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I think those are cute SD searcher.

I indulged in a bit of retail therapy after the Chargers lost and ended up inpulsing buying a pair of oversized Prada sunglasses.
38.gif

It''s really not a good thing for the Chargers to lose. I always end up spending too much money.

Oh well, I can always take them back if I wake up tomorrow and realize that I don''t like them.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friend has those and I love them, am seeing them tomorrow. The guys who started SALT worked for Oliver Peoples and the Carly is similar to an OP that I tried on today! I am debating between three styles, one a Chanel with a pearl on the side, the OP''s and the Carly. I want to see which fits my face the best!

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
Diamondfan
I looked at Chanel just for fun and they are really nice. I know they''re very popular. But for me, I''ve gotten used to polarized and can''t do without them now. For $200 plus I wanted one nice pair that I could wear every day for a long time. OP, Chanel and Salt are all very nice frames. Please post when you''ve made your decision.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 10:59:55 PM
Author: san diego searcher
Diamondfan
I looked at Chanel just for fun and they are really nice. I know they''re very popular. But for me, I''ve gotten used to polarized and can''t do without them now. For $200 plus I wanted one nice pair that I could wear every day for a long time. OP, Chanel and Salt are all very nice frames. Please post when you''ve made your decision.
I am not Dfan but I am facing the same dilemma. I wanted some fashionable ones but a lot of them are not polarized. I loved having polarized while driving; the SA at the sunglasses shop said more designers will start to put out polarized ones. I am on a search right . Glad you like yours.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you found what you wanted! I''m a Maui Jim girl myself. I had a pair of their Wavemakers and just ADORED them, so in only 3 years I LOST them! Grrrr! Anyway, long story short, I ended up this time with their Shorelines, only prescription this time because I''ve finally conceded to AGE. Again: Grrrrr!!

Anyway, I know they aren''t as fashion forward, but they should last me a long time (barring stupidity on my part) and they are just so darned GOOD! I got to keep the original polarized GLASS lenses too, after they put in the polycarbonate prescripts. I do love the glass because it''s so nearly indestructible. I have to be more careful with these... oh well..

http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_10101_10001_10236_-1_10102_10102_N__2_2_3

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am another huge fan of Maui Jim! I have had several pair and dropped my most recent pair on a sidewalk and scratched them. I was so aggravated because hubby was hurrying me in a restaurant and I was trying to put them away in the case. The case fell out of my pocketbook, bounced on the sidewalk and out came the glasses. Anyhoo, I sent them back to Maui Jim and had both lenses replaced for about $60. They were super nice to work with - couldn''t have asked for better service. You can have anything on them repaired so that is good to know. My biggest fear is losing them altogether so I am always anal about where I put them.

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
Skippy
Did you look at Persol and Ray Ban? They don''t have gradient lenses, which I pretty much wanted. But Persol is timeless cool and a lot of celebs seem to be wearing the Ray Ban Wayfarers, which are pretty reasonably priced. I''m having a bit of regret at spending as much as I did for mine as it''s making me really really cautious with them. I''m sure in time I''ll relax a bit but right now, I''m carrying them in their big bulky case and really conscious of them when I hang them on my shirt front, etc.
Last pair were Ray Bans and didn''t cost so much so I didn''t worry about them...just took reasonable care.

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks, that''s great that you replaced your lenses for $60. I thought when my Maui Jim lenses got scratched it cost more to replace them. But I had already worn them for maybe 3 or 4 years so I was ready for a change.

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
Ksinger, those MJ shorlines look nice. I did look at MJs this time around but decided I wanted to go a bit more fashiony and didn''t want the mirrored lenses. MJ''s are excellent though and yours look like they''re super lightweight.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 11:38:59 AM
MissGotRocks, that''s great that you replaced your lenses for $60. I thought when my Maui Jim lenses got scratched it cost more to replace them. But I had already worn them for maybe 3 or 4 years so I was ready for a change.

They are pretty reasonable as far as getting lenses replaced. I had mine replaced this summer and I paid $75, but that included shipping through a local dealer.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 11:36:28 AM
Skippy
Did you look at Persol and Ray Ban? They don''t have gradient lenses, which I pretty much wanted. But Persol is timeless cool and a lot of celebs seem to be wearing the Ray Ban Wayfarers, which are pretty reasonably priced. I''m having a bit of regret at spending as much as I did for mine as it''s making me really really cautious with them. I''m sure in time I''ll relax a bit but right now, I''m carrying them in their big bulky case and really conscious of them when I hang them on my shirt front, etc.
Last pair were Ray Bans and didn''t cost so much so I didn''t worry about them...just took reasonable care.
Thanks for the suggestion; I actually own a pair of Persols, those were my first polarized sunglasses. I bought a pair that didn''t fit me and I didn''t realize it until after the fact so I do not wear them that often. I should go look at them again and also Maui Jims.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results