shape
carat
color
clarity

Plz Help..is this a good diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hi, i am a newbie here and was wondering if sumone can help me out with this. I am looking at this diamond and was wondering if you can tell me if it''s good, and what price would you pay for it...here are the specs:

Oval Diamond, 3.17 carat GIA, VS1, K colour, finish: excellent, symmetry: good,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not enough info to say.
Have you seen it?

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hi, thx for the quick response. yes i have seen , looks gorgeos, k colour but looks like a H to me....here are the full specs:

Oval Brilliant, GIA
Meas: 13.51x7.86x4.67mm
Weight: 3.17 carat
Depth: 59.4 %
table: 64%
Girdle: medium to slightly thick
culet: none
polish: excellent
symmetry: good
clarity: VS1
Color: K
flourescencee: strong blue
comments: clouds are not shown

thanks once again

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you like the look of it, go for it
2.gif
your eyes are what matters most.

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
I''m just unsure of the pricing, am i paying too much? what do u guys think its worth?

also, is it true that round diamonds are more expensive oval?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
do a search using the ''pricescope your diamond'' tool at the top of the page. you can get an idea of pricing there.
2.gif

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hi, sorry to keep bothering u guys, but i tried the pricescope thing on the top and it doesnt seem to work for me? can sumone plz help me out? thx....:)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I feel like Mr. Rogers...

it''s a wonderful day in the neighborhood...

try oval, 3 - 3.49, J - M, GIA only, VVS2 to VS2

I see 3 options, all Js, ranging from 20,260 - $22,967, size from 3.21 - 3.44

So, something less that that.

Based on comparables here, on the internet.

Does this help a bit?

Regards,

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hey, thx for the help everyone. they are gonna sell it to me for $20,000 CANADIAN Dollars....is this diamond worth that much?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thats $16,317.20 USD
It doesnt seem way unreasonable assuming its well cut.
There are no direct comps available online.

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hey thankx so much for all the help. so does anyone else think its a good deal, or fair price? its a k color, but looks more like a h, it is GIA and comes with certificate..

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Opps you saw the diamond didn't you.

and are liking the 1.72 ratio and the flouro...

You allready have the best answers we can give you in regard to price. A well cut Oval using Dave's charts in that size and color are well over 20 K US dollars. Most 25-30k.

If you indeed like the look of the stone that seems super duper cheap to me.

You would have to get an appraisor for one more exact.

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hey kim, thx for the reply.

I was wondering how do i know if its well cut? it doesn''t say anything on its GIA Paper..do they use a other word other than "cut"?

and also, I did it, I bought the ring..im gonna post pictures up real soon..once i get a digicam first tho... the ring i chose for it got E/F baguettes and costed me $1500..so altogether for diamond and ring is $22,000CAN

I got it appraised, and its estimated value is $47,500CAN but thats including the ring not just diamond..ill post pics up :)

Eightball

Rough_Rock
What is the date on the GIA report ?

It is a GEM TRADE LABORATORY DIAMOND GRADING REPORT that sort of looks like this
http://www.gia.edu/images/image_library/U_607.gif

Just based on the numbers given $20K CAD is a very good price, however the strong blue fluorescence is not really a desired quality.

Does the price include the excise tax (8%) ?

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hi Eightball, the date of GIA report was May 2002. The price $20,000CAD did include tax. The GIA report that I got looks exactly the one u posted, but I still don''t know where to read the cut? Thanx.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
to get an idea of cut quality, go to dave atlas'' site www.gemappraisers.com and use the diy cut grading link.
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Welcome Titaniumdevil.

I just spent 2 hours looking for 3+ carat RB''s and Ovals--and with the dollar exchange and GST that stone seems to be quite well priced. (I am Canadian, and no I do not work for Molson''s.....). Quite interesting.....

But what do your eyes tell you? Can you see any hiint of color--with fancies they (can) show "more", but then perhaps the flouro helps to mask the same. But please, look on the toolbar (top of any PS page under the thumbnail titled "knowledge") and read the info the well respected appraiser Dave Atlas has written on fancy cuts. Moreover you can compare stones you have found against the AGS cut charts posted, and in addition plug in numbers--from the data you''ve collected from various certs you''ve seen online--into the handy dandy cut calculator which gives a visual perspective of overall "shape''.

BTW, I looked at canadianwholesalediamond.com (Ron Davidson designer in Vancouver, BC) and saw several ovals on their site (he is a diamond broker also).

Good luck and happy searching.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh, one more thing...has this stone been clarity enhanced? (with such a price it is worth asking....)

cheers--Sharon

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hi sharon, thanks for the warm welcome
35.gif
.....what does clarity enhanced mean?

O, so oval is a fancy shape? Well, the setting I bought for $1500CAD its diamond baguettes are of E/F color, and in the centre is the 3.17 ct oval K color diamond....up close yes, the diamond does look a tad yellow but thats because of the little diamond baguettes..but from a little distance its gorgeous and u can never tell its a K color diamond. When people see th ring they think its fake LoL....but when i tell them its a K color...they are surprised cuz they think it looks like a H color..

o, when u say "quite well priced" does that mean it's expensive or cheap or just about the right price for it?...sorry plz forgive me my english is bad :)

titanium_devil888

Rough_Rock
hey can sumone help me with finding what kind of cut i have? i just tried to use the Diy thing, and it says my cut is bad? can sumone help me? thanx

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2005 3:05:24 PM
Author: titanium_devil888
hey can sumone help me with finding what kind of cut i have? i just tried to use the Diy thing, and it says my cut is bad? can sumone help me? thanx
HI:

I am not sure what a "Diy thing" is....Did you have time to read what has been written on fancy shapes, as earlier specified? (top of page, toggle "knowledge", then toggle "fancy shapes" to get to the article by Dave Atlas, and then once again hit the link about "shape" charts and see the parameters for grading ovals).

As for price comparsions, it has already been already suggested that you try searching the database provided here (again, top of page) or the one link I provided earlier. As most stones are priced in $USD, to get a feel for what one would cost in Can$ you''d have to calculate not only the exchange rate, but add in the 8% excise tax and & 7% GST.

Moreover, almost any other subject you might be interested in viewing can be accessed thru the PS archives, by toggling the "search" function and entering in what information you are seeking to find (given that it has been previously discussed on these open forums). Hope this is helpful. Sounds like you love your stone, enjoy it!!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results