shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls advise...refund b/c he defrauded us rings are falling apart?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

not2happy

Rough_Rock
Hi-

I''d love to get advice on my situation? I purchased 2 3-stone diamond engagement rings, one round cut and one princess cut, for myself and my partner from a thought-to-be reputable jeweler (who would not want reputation tarnished).

We''ve had problems with the rings, however, since we received them last June (see my original post below). After my original posted problem, the jeweler agreed to reset my ring with a center stone that was a certified princess cut stone from EGL (but made me pay an extra $376 to replace with the certed stone):

.70ct
H color
VS2 clarity
Depth/Table: 81.7%/78%
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
measurements: 4.57 - 4.64x3.73

My ring also has 6 smaller diamonds, 3 on each side of the larger side stones. My partner''s ring is a 3-stone, not certified, but jeweler told us diamonds were G color, SI2 clarity with total weight approx 1.5ct. Both settings (including prongs) are entirely 14K white gold.

My partner and I recently went to look for wedding bands (eternity)at a different jeweler and when we tried them on, our rings started to look very yellow and dull. We already had suspicions that craftsmanship was poor and diamonds might not be what they said they were, but our suspicions were confirmed by this very reputable and well-known jeweler.

The gemologist at the jeweler said that the round cut was definitely not a G color, SI2 clarity and was at most 1.25 ct but probably closer to 1ct tw. And, the 2 side stones were actually spinning around in the prong settings. He estimated (looking thru loupe) that color was J and clarity I1, possibly even I2. The band on the ring is also wearing down already. All these problems after only *4* months of wear.

Then, he told me my ring was not an H color, but rather an I-J. He thought the clarity might be VS2 in center stone but side stones were probably SI2. Also, the milligrain is dented and one of my smaller side stones was chipped and another was about to fall out of the ring. My band is also wearing thin and you can easily see the line where it was sautered together. Plus, it''s yellowing after 4 mos. of wear. He also told me they do not carry EGL stones for the reason that EGL consistently grades higher than others (and probably than reality).

We are furious! We knew enough when we bought them that we did not want anything below SI2 or H color. We''re now having the rings independently appraised. The appraiser has told us he will note as well all of the problems he sees with both rings. He told us that the craftsmanship was poor and that he wouldn''t sell it in his store. Told us we definitely overpaid. (He has no incentive to say so-- in fact he seemed very reluctant to be bearer of bad news).

We paid $2600 for the 3-stone round cut with plain band. And we paid approx $4250 for the 3-stone princess with smaller side stones and milligrain band. Total ct weight on princess ring is approx 1.30 ct.

We have the original sales documentation for the rings, which states the round stone ring to be G color and SI2 clarity. We also have the appraisals from the jeweler we bought the rings from, in which he appraises the rings at $3100 for the round stone and $5200 for the princess.

If the independent appraisals come in significantly lower and at the quality (and at lower ct wt, clarity and color than original jeweler stipulated), *and* given the significant workmanship problems we''ve had from the beginning, how should we approach the original jeweler for a full refund?

We want nothing to do with him at this point. Can you please advise as to what we should do?

Thanks for help!
not2happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
**MY ORIGINAL POST**
I''m desperate for advice on how to handle a situation with a jeweler from whom I purchased a 3-stone diamond ring. The side stones are .25 carat weight. The center stone was not certified, but was .63 ct and jeweler told me it was an SI2, H color. I looked at the center stone (which was a loose stone) with a loupe and saw some dark spots (not visible to naked eye) but no feather inclusions.

The ring was sent to me upon setting and sizing, and I noticed the center or side stone appeared slightly askew. I went back to the jeweler, who agreed that it was set slightly askew. (I was annoyed at that point that someone as qualified as him would send me a ring when the setting was obviously off-center). Anyway, he sent it back to his jeweler to have it straightened and then mailed it back to me.

Upon receiving the ring, though the stones were straight, the center stone had what looked to me to be a highly visible crack in the corner very close to the prong. I called the jeweler back again and he said he would need to see it to tell. I sent him the ring overnight and asked him to call me once he''d looked at it. I called him 3 times over the course of the week to try to reach him. (He never called). When I finally did reach him, he told me that it wasn''t a "crack" but a feather in the diamond and he''d sent it back to the jeweler to see if he could cover it with a prong. I told him that there was no feather when I bought it, nor was there a feather when he sent it to me the first time (when the diamond were set off kilter). Then he went into this whole thing about having his jeweler pop out the diamond to weigh it to ensure that it was the same diamond. He said "it would be the first time ever" and "he''ll probably tell me where to go when I ask him to pop it out and check". And that if I wasn''t happy with the diamond that I could pay more for a better one. He rushed me off the phone and said he would call me in a couple of days.

How should I handle this? I won''t be happy with a diamond that has a visible feather, and from what I''ve read, the fact that it is close to surface and to edge of diamond is not good! I paid $3600 for the ring. It''s a white gold setting with smaller chips along the band in addition to the 3-stone.

Am I being taken for a ride? What should I do? Please help!

Thanks,
not2happy

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties.

In the end, yes you will need to talk to the jeweler. Hang on to all of the documentation. It’s not the price but the description that is going to be important to you. If the description is substantially different (more than 2 grades in most jurisdictions), you will have grounds to ask for a refund based on a material misrepresentation made in the original sale. Damage that has, or may have, occurred since the purchase doesn’t apply. Their defense will be to attack the credibility of your chosen appraiser. This is a valid criticism and you should discuss it with your appraiser. A stone that was an SI2 8 months ago may be an I1 now because of damage (which may be a covered loss under your insurance by the way). It’s also common to differ by a grade or 2 when the stone is examined in the mounting. Whatever they have to say, get it in writing. A verbal statement from a competing jeweler means nothing.

The jeweler may be willing to replace the suspect stones or even the entire ring with others that meet your agreed G-SI2 requirements if they agree with the appraiser but expect a fight because it’s been 8 months and it sounds like the appraiser is one of their competitors. When the appraisal is done, show it to the jeweler, be nice, and ask them how they would like to make this right. They may offer a satisfactory solution in order to support their reputation.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
asking for a full refund is the first step.
Dont leave anything with him and take copies of all documentation in and keep the originals locked out in the car.

if he refuses then contact the BBB and see if they have anything on him and if he is member.
If he is member have them contact him about the issue.

An attorney would be my next step if that dont work.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
not2happy: How awful for you!!
29.gif

My fiance and I had a similar situation where a local jeweler was supposed to pick out two sidestones 1 ctw to match my grandmother's diamond. The sidestones were EGL certified and my fiance said he'd buy them since they looked ok to the eye (in the store anyway!
29.gif
) and paid the jeweler with an additional $300 for the stones to get graded by the GIA. Jeweler said it would take 4-6 weeks to get the stones graded and back to set. We did this because my fiance knew I wanted a GIA cert but was willing to trust the jeweler that the stones matched (he gave us a long spill on how *hard* it was to find matching sidestones
20.gif
) Being less diamond educated then...my fiance paid and 8 weeks later still no response. The jeweler could NEVER take his call or answer his emails. My fiance finally got in touch with the store manager 12 weeks at this point
29.gif
and it was revealed that the stones came back (they were promised as a G SI1 and an H SI1) they were graded by the GIA as I-J and I1 and I2
29.gif

They told us they were *trying* to find more matching sidestones in our specs which is why they didn't contact us AT ALL. This was a long distance jeweler since my mother wanted us to go with someone she knew. Long story short after MULTIPLE calls and emails and threats (the jeweler was holding 7k of my fiance's money) my fiance finally got all his money back even the $300.
29.gif
At least it was finally settled.

The experience hurt me and my mother so much since this was supposed to be such a sentimental engagement ring with my grandmother's diamond that my grandmother's diamond is still sitting in the bank unset and in a package and even though it was more than 7 months ago we can't bring ourselves to do anything with it.

Bottom line...keep on that jeweler
29.gif
threaten to take him to court if you have to. This was serious misrepresentation.

ETA: Wow I didn't realize I had so many angry faces in there...well at least you know how I really feel about this topic!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results