shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me about twining wisps and feathers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at another pear.

1.22 carats
9.14 x 6.01 x 3.62
depth 60.2
table 56%
girdle very thin to very thick, faceted (how concerned should I be about this?)
culet none
polish/symetry both very good
flourescence faint (color not specified)
length to width 1.52

F color

I1 clarity, mostly twining wisps and small feathers, one indented natural. The online vendor spoke with the supplier and they claim it is an eye clean I1, although with the holidays, it has not yet been shipped to the vendor for them to examine. There is a tiny carbon on the edge of the diamond that cannot be seen face up or face down, apparently, as well. I don''t think this would bother me, but I''d have to see it myself.

Am I in la la land? Can an I1 pear really be eye clean? I have no idea what a twining wisp is although I''ve searched PS and found a few references to it. In looking at the GIA report copy on line, I can''t tell which is a twining wisp and which is a feather. But the plot looks pretty clean as I1''s go.

Please share your thoughts. I''m going crazy with anticipation and trying to analyze this possible trade of my 2 carat IF M pear. The face up dimensions are very close, as my pear is much deeper and loses spread in the very thick to extremely thick girdle. I think this pear I''m considering has a better cut than mine, probably by quite a lot.

I found a local independent appraiser through my insurance company, so I will take this diamond for him to look at, but meanwhile would like any thoughts.

THANKS!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
very thin <--- where is it very thin and how much of it is very thin?

I1 eyeclean pear while not impossible I supose but it would be rare.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry Lumpkin, I don''t know anything about pears. Your existing pear looks yummy, why are you trading it in?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Lumpkin a GIA I1 pear can be eyeclean as I have one! All you can see is a small feather off to the side near the girdle. From my understanding twinning wisps aren't a big deal and can only be seen under mag, John Quixote says in an earlier post that generally, if it says twinning wisps not shown on a cert means they are very minor and they won't be visible to the naked eye. These are caused by crystal structure distortion of the diamond, sounds worse than it is! My cert notes them as twinning wisps not shown. The very thin to very thick girdle describes the variation of girdle thickness around the stone so that should be ok - mine is the same. The length to width ratio is the same as mine and my favourite combo, makes for a lovely pear shape so that is good IMO. The indented natural isn't of concern either. This looks like it could be a good stone, as you know with pears the eyes really do matter, my 2 ct pear is much deeper than this one, which is fine but I do lose size. Possibly get it to the appraiser then see what you think, but I think this is worth a look, especially if you want a whiter stone with a better cut. With the feather on mine, you really have to know it is there to find it and then only up close, hopefully this one might be just as good. GIA I1's can be great bargains! I am no expert on pear shapes, just letting you know my thoughts on mine and opinions. Good luck!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Strmrdr: I''m not sure where on the girdle, it doesn''t say. I will have them look at it before they send it.

Leila: I have been fretting over the setting of this silly stone for two years. Nothing looks right. My husband mentioned to me it may be the diamond rather than the settings. I decided to investigate, thinking there was probably nothing out there, but I found this and it has been in the back of my mind for a few weeks. I''m compelled to see what it looks like. I''m not dead set on trading, but if I find something whiter, i.e. easier to set in a modern setting, I probably will.

Lorelei: I''m really glad to know that eye clean I1 is possible in a pear. Thanks for all the info on the twining wisps! Just looking at the plot it looks promising.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your''e welcome Lumpkin! Best thing to do might be to eyeball this stone and see what an appraiser thinks, you might regret it otherwise. This diamond could be really promising, if I could post a pic so you could see mine you would be surprised at how clean it is, it is possible this one might be too.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
You know, I looked briefly in the "Show Me Your Pear" thread and I was surprised I didn''t find a picture of your pear. If you do get a picture to post, I''d love to see it. That''s part of what I love here, all the pictures!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will do soon, but my camera is broken! I also wanted to say I am very happy with the I1 clarity in this diamond, especially as it is a 2ct and they can show more, I have no regrets about not going up a grade or so. I hope this is the case with yours too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results