shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me about Naperville/Chicago, IL areas....

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
We currently live in Northern VA and DH is most likely getting a job offer this week from a Chicago based company. I've lived in NOVA my entire life and am really struggling with this potential move. I'll be leaving behind family, friends, my job, our home. But my DH really wants this job if the offer comes through and if it's a great offer, he wants to take it. I'll be starting a separate thread on moving with kids, because I have terrible guilt and anxiety about moving my kids.

So, if you could tell me about Naperville, IL or other surrounding areas to Chicago, that would be great! I've been to Chicago twice, but just in the city as my BIL and his family live there. I do not want to live in the city of Chicago. We would like to live in a neighboring suburb.

A must on our list are great schools. The schools my kids attend (highschool and elementary) are fantastic. So suggestions on great schools/school districts would be greatly appreciated!

Any other areas to look at besides Naperville? DH would be working in Schaumburg initially but the company plans to move to Downtown Chicago. Anything to know about the Chicago area?

Thank you so much! :)

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Can I ask why you've targeted Naperville? IMO Naperville is way, way, way too far from downtown Chicago to commute everyday. It is even too far from Schaumburg, in my opinion.

My DH and I moved from Los Angeles to Chicago 3 years ago and I couldn't be happier. We live in Park Ridge http://www.parkridge.us/ and it is awesome! We don't have kids, but the schools here are great (Maine South is the name of the High School). It is one of the first suburbs out of the city and is really central to everything. Best of both worlds (city/suburbs).

I would suggest also looking at the suburbs of Arlington Heights, Glenview, Wilmette, and Highland Park.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

nihilistpancake

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I actually grew up in Naperville. The schools there are top notch (we consistently scored near the top of the school districts on the state tests), and the whole environment is very safe and family friendly. Having said that, it is quite a commute from Naperville to Chicago, especially by car during rush hour. Schaumberg also has a good school system. In fact, most of the suburban public school systems are going to provide a quality education. I've never lived in Chicago proper, so I can't speak to the housing/school situation there. Hope that helps a little bit. I'm currently in the northern suburbs, and would be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in naperville and HIGHLY recommend it! We have tons of park district facilities, top notch schools, a children's museum, top restaurants, a river walk, a carillon, fabulous parades! My husband commutes all the time by train to Chicago and it's a 35 min train trip on the express. Down side: expensive. Upside? Just about everything! Come visit! I would love to give you a tour!

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Naperville is a bit of a commute to downtown Chicago! The best cities article has some great ones. I live in Chicago now, but grew up on the Northshore of Chicago. Buffalo Grove.. Northbrook.. Highland Park have some great schools!! If you're looking to be closer to the city there is Park Ridge as mentioned.. Lincolnwood and Evanston, which would prob be about a 30 minute commute.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. My favorite city is Naperville, In the summer I go to the art shows, riverwalk, and music festivals that take place there. They have lovely homes and an old part of town with the large homes of yesteryear. If your husband takes the train, its not a bad comute, but I think it would be quite a drive to Schumburg.

Wilmette and Glenview are what I call the wealthy suburbs and are nearer to the city. Naperville is less expensive, but I would prefer that City to all the others. It did win "The best city to live in" several yrs back. Lovely town.

Good Luck. Annette

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
I agree with park Ridge being a great place to live!

Depending on your budget, Mt Prospect, Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village, and pretty decent, as well!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nyc2chigal|1399321594|3666737 said:

Depending on your budget, Mt Prospect, Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village, and pretty decent, as well!

I would stay away from Mt Prospect, but these other cities are nice. Schaumburg and Buffalo Grove are great too.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mount Prospect is a nice town. It has a great park district with a few pools and a beautiful public golf course. The homes in the golf course area are very pretty. Its high school is excellent with great academics and sports. The train line is quick to the city. It is near O' Hare airport and also has good access to the expressway into the city. Arlington Heights is also nice and the homes are a tad pricier than M.P. and it is just a bit farther from the city. I would stay away from Des Plaines, Elk Grove Village and Schaumburg as the traffic is awful and there are areas that are very commercial. I love Park Ridge for the same reasons I like Mount Prospect plus it is really close to the city. Naperville is very pretty and boasts a top tier school and has a wonderful downtown area. Try Hinsdale as it is in the same general area but it is closer to the city. It is expensive and gorgeous. Western Springs is also lovely. I am partial to the NorthShore. You will pay a lot for a little-the houses are overpriced for what you get. But you are in the coveted New Trier school system which you will pay dearly for in taxes. Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe and Northfield all feed into New Trier. Deerfield, Glenview and Northbrook have good schools and lovely homes with nice downtown areas and are still pretty close to the city.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I've lived in Chicago for almost 18 years now and can honestly say I've never been to Naperville. Not to say it's not a great place, but it just seems SO FAR away and I've never had a reason to go there. If you're looking to be close to the city, but not IN the city, I'd recommend Park Ridge, like LAJen suggested, or Des Plaines, Evanston, Skokie and even Oak Park.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1399232955|3666140 said:
Can I ask why you've targeted Naperville? IMO Naperville is way, way, way too far from downtown Chicago to commute everyday. It is even too far from Schaumburg, in my opinion.

My DH and I moved from Los Angeles to Chicago 3 years ago and I couldn't be happier. We live in Park Ridge http://www.parkridge.us/ and it is awesome! We don't have kids, but the schools here are great (Maine South is the name of the High School). It is one of the first suburbs out of the city and is really central to everything. Best of both worlds (city/suburbs).

I would suggest also looking at the suburbs of Arlington Heights, Glenview, Wilmette, and Highland Park.

Thank you Jennifer! I've been focused on Naperville only because that's what's been recommended by a couple of other people we know who have lived in Chicago. DH can handle a commute that's 60 minutes or less. Ideally closer to 30 minutes but to make me happy, he'll deal with a longer commute, if the schools and home we want are a bit further out. I will look into Park Ridge. Thank you!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
nihilistpancake|1399254012|3666310 said:
Hi!

I actually grew up in Naperville. The schools there are top notch (we consistently scored near the top of the school districts on the state tests), and the whole environment is very safe and family friendly. Having said that, it is quite a commute from Naperville to Chicago, especially by car during rush hour. Schaumberg also has a good school system. In fact, most of the suburban public school systems are going to provide a quality education. I've never lived in Chicago proper, so I can't speak to the housing/school situation there. Hope that helps a little bit. I'm currently in the northern suburbs, and would be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Thank you! If this offer is a good and DH accepts, I'm sure I'll have any more questions. Thank you again!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1399258511|3666338 said:
I live in naperville and HIGHLY recommend it! We have tons of park district facilities, top notch schools, a children's museum, top restaurants, a river walk, a carillon, fabulous parades! My husband commutes all the time by train to Chicago and it's a 35 min train trip on the express. Down side: expensive. Upside? Just about everything! Come visit! I would love to give you a tour!

Thank you April! A 35 minute commute DH can handle. The traffic in NOVA stinks, so 35 minutes to normal to him. Thank you for hte Naperville info!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
joolsiepetunia|1399308210|3666589 said:
Naperville is a bit of a commute to downtown Chicago! The best cities article has some great ones. I live in Chicago now, but grew up on the Northshore of Chicago. Buffalo Grove.. Northbrook.. Highland Park have some great schools!! If you're looking to be closer to the city there is Park Ridge as mentioned.. Lincolnwood and Evanston, which would prob be about a 30 minute commute.

Thank you!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Born & raised in Chicago, northwest side, close to Park Ridge. If your husband will be working in Schaumburg I recommend the following suburbs for the lowest commute times: Itasca, Medinah, Roselle, Elk Grove Village and Schaumburg.

Itasca, Medinah and Roselle are small towns minutes away from Schaumburg. All have homes from the mid $200k up to $1 million.
Medinah Country Club hosted the Ryder Cup this past summer. Very nice area.
My business is in Roselle, Schaumburg is a stones throw away.

I troll realtor.com regularly for homes in these towns. Perhaps you should look thru the homes listed on there.

Naperville is a fantastic town, but the commute to Schaumburg would be a nightmare.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1399312253|3666629 said:
Hi,

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. My favorite city is Naperville, In the summer I go to the art shows, riverwalk, and music festivals that take place there. They have lovely homes and an old part of town with the large homes of yesteryear. If your husband takes the train, its not a bad comute, but I think it would be quite a drive to Schumburg.

Wilmette and Glenview are what I call the wealthy suburbs and are nearer to the city. Naperville is less expensive, but I would prefer that City to all the others. It did win "The best city to live in" several yrs back. Lovely town.

Good Luck. Annette

Thank you, Annette!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1399339162|3666896 said:
Born & raised in Chicago, northwest side, close to Park Ridge. If your husband will be working in Schaumburg I recommend the following suburbs for the lowest commute times: Itasca, Medinah, Roselle, Elk Grove Village and Schaumburg.

Itasca, Medinah and Roselle are small towns minutes away from Schaumburg. All have homes from the mid $200k up to $1 million.
Medinah Country Club hosted the Ryder Cup this past summer. Very nice area.
My business is in Roselle, Schaumburg is a stones throw away.

I troll realtor.com regularly for homes in these towns. Perhaps you should look thru the homes listed on there.

Naperville is a fantastic town, but the commute to Schaumburg would be a nightmare.

Thank you so much!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock

Thanks Nyc2chigal! Our budget would be max $700K, but would prefer $650K or less. I will look into those areas. Thanks!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1399327321|3666790 said:

I would stay away from Mt Prospect, but these other cities are nice. Schaumburg and Buffalo Grove are great too.

Laila- Could you elaborate on why we should stay away from Mt. Prospect? Thanks! :)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
lambskin|1399332169|3666829 said:
Mount Prospect is a nice town. It has a great park district with a few pools and a beautiful public golf course. The homes in the golf course area are very pretty. Its high school is excellent with great academics and sports. The train line is quick to the city. It is near O' Hare airport and also has good access to the expressway into the city. Arlington Heights is also nice and the homes are a tad pricier than M.P. and it is just a bit farther from the city. I would stay away from Des Plaines, Elk Grove Village and Schaumburg as the traffic is awful and there are areas that are very commercial. I love Park Ridge for the same reasons I like Mount Prospect plus it is really close to the city. Naperville is very pretty and boasts a top tier school and has a wonderful downtown area. Try Hinsdale as it is in the same general area but it is closer to the city. It is expensive and gorgeous. Western Springs is also lovely. I am partial to the NorthShore. You will pay a lot for a little-the houses are overpriced for what you get. But you are in the coveted New Trier school system which you will pay dearly for in taxes. Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe and Northfield all feed into New Trier. Deerfield, Glenview and Northbrook have good schools and lovely homes with nice downtown areas and are still pretty close to the city.

Thank you lambskin! Top schools are a priority for us, especially high school. My BFF who as a sibling who lives in Naperville was telling me how taxes are in IL. They are double what we pay in NOVA! :knockout:

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1399336600|3666872 said:
I've lived in Chicago for almost 18 years now and can honestly say I've never been to Naperville. Not to say it's not a great place, but it just seems SO FAR away and I've never had a reason to go there. If you're looking to be close to the city, but not IN the city, I'd recommend Park Ridge, like LAJen suggested, or Des Plaines, Evanston, Skokie and even Oak Park.

Thank you!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
lambskin|1399332169|3666829 said:
I am partial to the NorthShore. You will pay a lot for a little-the houses are overpriced for what you get. But you are in the coveted New Trier school system which you will pay dearly for in taxes. Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe and Northfield all feed into New Trier. Deerfield, Glenview and Northbrook have good schools and lovely homes with nice downtown areas and are still pretty close to the city.

I LOVE the North Shore. When we first moved to Chicagoland, we found a summer sublet in Winnetka. It was a very fun summer. My husbanded commuted to Elk Grove Village and it wasn't the best commute - so we ultimately bought a house in Park Ridge (which is also awesome - no traffic EVER, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Mariano's and Jewel Osco all within 1.5 miles.

I love that I can get back to the North Shore quickly without encountering traffic. I took a drive last week up to Glencoe Beach. Glencoe is probably my dream community. I took this picture last week.

_17769.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03bride, I’m thrilled to hear you might be coming to our fair city! (Well the 'burbs, but close enough!)

Is it possible for you guys to rent for a year to get a better feel for different areas before buying? As a realtor I ALWAYS recommend that to my relocation clients, is it's possible.

Regarding taxes, I spent some time on the MLS and ran a search for various areas mentioned on the thread. Using a listing range of $650 - $700K, I found:

Naperville, 38 houses, taxes generally ranging from $12K to $14K
Park Ridge, 4 houses, $10K to $14K
Buffalo Grove, 2 houses, both in the $16Ks
Northbrook, 5 houses, $8k to $11K
Highland Park, 4 houses, $11K to $19K (that 19K is a high-end anomaly though because I was surprised by that so I looked up to $800K for more reference and the more typical range seems to be $14-16Kish)
Glenview, 9 houses, $8K to $13K (again a high end anomaly with an $18K at the top, but it's not typical)
Wilmette, 6 houses, $12K to $15K
Winnetka, more difficult to search because there was a price gap and also a high end anomaly, but I'm guestimating $13K to $16K based on what I see around those numbers

Obviously this is a small sample of what's available, and every house will be unique in terms of its ultimate tax number, so take this general information for what it's worth.

I assume your husband's company will set him up with a relocation agent but if you have any general questions, like other types of MLS info, let me know and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about Palatine? You can commute into the city via train and it's very close to Schaumburg. Not sure about the schools though, but I think they are good.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will get one heck of a house in naperville for $700,000!!!!

Why is everyone saying the commute to Chicago is bad??? I can get to midway by car in 35 min, ohare in half hour, downtown in less than an hour, by train 35 mins. My husband commuted to Schaumburg for three years. During peak rush, yes it's hard but go right before or after and it's 35-40 min up 355.

I also recommend Wheaton or Glen Ellyn. High rated schools and lovely homes.

School districts: New Trier, Naperville 203 (not 204), Wheaton, Hinsdale, Glenbard North.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I like downtown Naperville but to be honest I really hate Naperville. The traffic is horrible, I am a small town kind of girl.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny, when I moved here it WAS a small town, 48,000 people. It's still the smallest place I have ever lived. I live 1 mile from downtown and try to walk because parking at night in summer is madness! We have tons of shopping; Apple, Clark's, white/black market, J Jill, J Crew opening soon, Gap, Ann Taylor, Talbots, Coldwater Creek, Sephora, Eddie Bauer, Apricot Lane, Barnes and Noble, benefit, Chicos, Claire's, Hot Momma, Joseph A Bank, Loft, Le Chocolate (yummy), Lulumon, Pottery barn, Sur la Tab, and many more. Restaurants galore. North Central college, Dupage children's museum, Naper Settlement ( with civil war re enactments), Centennial Beach ( high school favorite!) , Central Park band shell ( with Thursday night concerts), Wentz concert hall, The Carrilon (bell tower), the miles long Riverwalk, tons of festivals! At night the bars are full of happy and sometimes drunk revelers. I have never lived anywhere with such a vibrant down town, all in about 6-8 blocks. I love it here, can you tell??? Oh, and did I mention the Garden Plots? Grow your own veggies! Several golf courses, a frisbee golf field, at my last count, 31 subdivision pools and 5 HS pools. Swim team rules, big on football, soccer, cross country, lacrosse, volleyball. Most sports have winter club teams. Lots of theatre. Lots of ponds. Lots of playgrounds. Great health system. More Starbucks than you can count. Whole foods, trader joes, walmart, getting a Mariano's , Standard Market. Several health clubs. Lots of trains. Did I say I love it here????

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results