shape
carat
color
clarity

Please talk me out of this vintage aqua ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 10:25:03 PM
Author:tradergirl
Tell me it''s overpriced, tell me the aqua is badly cut . . . . tell me anything to stop me from pulling the trigger on another ring I don''t need but can''t live without.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230355983305
Something is up with the pictures toward the top of the listing. They''re way too pure of a blue to be an aqua, and the one on her hand in the first picture looks a bit photoshopped. The bottom photos look more representative of the true color that 99% of aquas with any color should be (greyish blue). I would be leary about it. It also has a huge window.

Does that help?

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
yeah, that''s good. I also thought the pics at the top were a crazy color and I do think the ring is overpriced but I just love the whole package with the asscher and the setting. I''ll go to bed now and leave it unsold (for now, heh heh)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first batch of pictures show an unreal blue.
The second batch of pictures show what I expect an aquamarine to look like - less saturated and a little gray.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is such a pretty design though, have one made to look like it and get a nice aqua from our beloved cutter
11.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
It looks more like a blue topaz than an aqua! I wouldn''t pay that much for a topaz.

Pretty, though.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous ring, agree with Richard.
(But I know zippo about Photoshopping
and even less about Aqua''s)
still pretty, ;-)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
dan just cut an asscher sapphire if you like the blue asschers... :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
meh..the design seems a lil "clunky" to me, and I agree the first batch of pics
look photoshopped or the like..which would make me suss..

how''s that ..?
9.gif
2.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its pretty expensive!

Does that help?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure how comfortable it is to wear, with all those pointy side stones; maybe if it were a pendant...

Hope this helps
2.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
What''s up with the corners? They are too blue in comparison to the rest of the stone.

If you get that ring, we will all point at you and laugh? Does that help?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone like Glitterata could also comment on this better than myself, but that setting does not look vintage Art Deco, as it is claimed to be. The gallery has modern touches. True Art Deco period jewelry has a premium due to the popularity of that period for design.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
That window would drive me nuts! The style of it is right up my alley, though.
31.gif

You know, you could probably have this ring repro''ed for half that price. Gary Braun or Peter Torraca could custom cut an aqua for you, and WF, BGD, or even Leon could dream up an "inspired setting" for less money, and you''d have quality you could be confident in.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. I think the intervention worked.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just to drive the point home:

I would never buy an antigue from someone who writes: "CIRCA IS ESTIMATED 1920''s-1930''s!!". That ring is too expensive to buy from someone who doesn''t know what "circa" means.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with you LadyD, your point also makes it suspect as being a more modern piece.

I like these threads where we rip an ebay listing to shreds! LOL!! It''s like "Jenny Craig" for Colored Stone junkies.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 1:59:10 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I agree with you LadyD, your point also makes it suspect as being a more modern piece.
Yeah, I would place it circa 1950.

Which does buttress the assertion that it's not heat treated, by the way. They didn't start heat treating until the late 70's.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 1:56:06 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Just to drive the point home:

I would never buy an antigue from someone who writes: ''CIRCA IS ESTIMATED 1920''s-1930''s!!''. That ring is too expensive to buy from someone who doesn''t know what ''circa'' means.
Nice catch. I didn''t even bother to read the listing once I saw the picture. I knew enough that it''s not as advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results