shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you look over there! I thought he said he was starting his diet today. :nono:

img_10946.jpg

img_10947.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need coffee.

img_10948.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are we there yet?

img_10949.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black-capped Chickadee and White-Breasted Nuthatch

img_10950.jpg

img_10951.jpg

img_10952.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowshoe Hares

img_10953.jpg

img_10954.jpg

img_10955.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I have to offer is a piddly double rainbow picture taken with my iPhone on a whim, unlike the gorgeous super close ups with sharp details of beautiful wildlife. It as a full rainbow too, which unfortunately, was too large to fit within the single frameshot.

double_gold.png

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowshoe Hares

We may want to cuddle bunnies but, in the wild, they don't always want to cuddle each other.

img_10956.jpg

img_10957.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1457030501|3999183 said:
All I have to offer is a piddly double rainbow picture taken with my iPhone on a whim, unlike the gorgeous super close ups with sharp details of beautiful wildlife. It as a full rainbow too, which unfortunately, was too large to fit within the single frameshot.

Chrono!

What a beautiful double rainbow! Gorgeous! :love:

I'd love to see a double rainbow and be able to share it with everyone.

I just keep posting the same thing over and over again. :rolleyes:
Birds, rabbits, squirrels, a few deer and porcupine, repeat. :nono:

I told my son I was heading out in search of wildlife.
He grinned and said maybe I'd see a Sasquatch! :appl:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful double rainbow with us! :wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, those two photos above of the White-Breasted Nuthatch.

I swear they're real birds, Two different ones. They just pose like that when they see a camera.

You're probably thinking they're toys that I stick on trees for photo ops.

Gosh, that would mean less time freezing outside. :think:

Off to the toy store! :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what the Blue Jay does when he sees me with my camera.

I think I've become somewhat of a pest.

img_10958.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another beautiful day in Melbourne. And people wonder why I enjoy being on the water so much...

20160304_071413.jpg

20160304_092831.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today at the Philadelphia Flower Show;

_2300.jpeg

_2301.jpeg

_2302.jpeg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jordyonbass|1457066492|3999492 said:
Another beautiful day in Melbourne. And people wonder why I enjoy being on the water so much...

Very awesome Jordy, as a life long hunter and hiker I can identify with your love of the ocean. I just get most of my time in the mountains with occasional trips to the sea.

Keep those pictures coming everyone, this is one of my favorite threads. No fighting, no arguing, just lots of folks sharing their joy.

WOW!

Wink

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Wink!

I get out in the bush here in Australia but the ocean has always been a special place for me. The beauty and majesty of it's life and some locations just blows me away. And then there's how the water itself is ever changing in weather and color.

One of my favorite places is a place called Broughton Island, google some pictures if you can. It's a place we go and anchor and stay overnight if we go chase small Black Marlin over 2 days. I absolutely love the place.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1457130197|3999950 said:
Today at the Philadelphia Flower Show;

Madam Bijoux,

Gorgeous flowers! Love the thought that Spring is on its way!

I had no idea that some flowers bloom to reveal a beautiful diamond ring hidden by the petals. Like an oyster revealing a pearl. :))

Thank you for sharing your lovely photos.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jordy,

What beautiful photos!

The first one (of a sunrise?) is breathtaking! I could stare at that view for hours. :love:

As you pointed out, the ocean is always changing, displaying a vast range of emotions.

Thank you for sharing more of your incredible photos with us!

:wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1457130559|3999958 said:

Very awesome Jordy, as a life long hunter and hiker I can identify with your love of the ocean. I just get most of my time in the mountains with occasional trips to the sea.

Keep those pictures coming everyone, this is one of my favorite threads. No fighting, no arguing, just lots of folks sharing their joy.

WOW!

Wink

Wink,

Be careful what you ask for!

With your encouragement to keep posting pictures, I'm about to post 10 photos.

I realize your statement was directed to everyone, and I promise to respect any request asking me specifically to stop posting so many photos.

Til then ... :twisted:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday, after four weeks out and about with my camera and playing with Aperture Priority, I decided to start using Shutter Priority to become familiar with that feature. I read that shutter speeds of 1/1500 second - 1/2500 second is required to photograph birds; with faster speeds of 1/4000 second for hummingbirds. However, I set my shutter speed at 1/1600 second. Why? Well, I could say I'm a woman of mystery. But the truth is that I have my moments when Logic (which usually rules my life) goes AWOL.

So a bit of blur, but here we go ...

Oh, I don't adjust colours in my photos (just crop), and I have no idea why the second photo has an unusual appearance. Hmmm :read:

img_10973.jpg

img_10974.jpg

img_10975.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rambled enough in the last post; these need no explanation.

img_10976.jpg

img_10977.jpg

img_10978.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last ones for now.

img_10979.jpg

img_10980.jpg

img_10981.jpg

img_10982.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
December-fire - these are amazing! Just out of curiosity, how far away from the beautiful blue birds were you when you took the pics?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
december-fire|1457188769|4000180 said:

WOW!

Wink

Wink,

I realize your statement was directed to everyone, and I promise to respect any request asking me specifically to stop posting so many photos.

Okay, just to be sure, I am specifically asking you to

KEEP POSTING!

Wink

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
december-fire|1457188238|4000174 said:
I had no idea that some flowers bloom to reveal a beautiful diamond ring hidden by the petals. Like an oyster revealing a pearl. :))

This is enough to get me to try gardening. Although, considering my black thumb, I would be happy if I just got some melee.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1457192188|4000198 said:
December-fire - these are amazing! Just out of curiosity, how far away from the beautiful blue birds were you when you took the pics?

Thank you, Dee*Jay!

The photos of the Blue Jays in flight, and others I posted recently which show a white birch bark tree, were taken at a wonderful little open area that is surrounded by woods. Many years ago, a gentleman put up bird feeders and started feeding the birds on a regular basis. After he passed away, others took over feeding the birds, rabbits and deer that came to expect food at that location. Many people, like myself, bring cameras and also start bringing food. The animals are well fed, and some have become quite comfortable around people.

I was about 15-20 feet from the Blue Jays.

I was using my telephoto lens; a 70-300 mm lens which allowed me to zoom in.

The Snowshoe Hares will come within 2-3 feet if a person is quiet and patient.

Some of the Black-capped Chickadees will land on a person's hand if food is held out. Or they'll land on your head!

The Cardinals seem to be more wary of people and keep their distance.

At that location, I'm able to get pretty close to some of the birds.

And I love my 70-300 mm lens, but I confess to already considering a 400 mm lens or better. :angel:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1457217985|4000321 said:
december-fire|1457188769|4000180 said:

WOW!

Wink

Wink,

Okay, just to be sure, I am specifically asking you to

KEEP POSTING!

Wink

Thanks, Wink!

It makes me very happy to think that my photos might bring others some enjoyment.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mallard Ducks

img_10996.jpg

img_10997.jpg

img_10998.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canada Goose ... and a Pigeon who insisted on having his photo taken and posted on PS.

The Canada Goose is standing on one leg; I don't want anyone to worry that he might have been injured.

img_10999.jpg

img_11000.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DF thought you may be interested in this, just had another tagged fish recaptured! I was in Queensland for a holiday back in 2014 and it was a fish that was caught on a friend's boat. Here's some of the details:

Capture:
June 6, 2014
Short length measurement: 230cm/90 inches
Est weight: 120kg/265lb

Recapture:
February 28, 2016
Short length measurement: 240cm/94 inches
Est weight: 130kg/285lb

Days at liberty: 632
Miles travelled: 612 (985 kilometres)

Marine biologists have suggested this fish was a male due to the slow growth rate as males only grow to about 400lb, females up to and possibly even over 2000lb. What was interesting was that the boat that recaptured the fish removed a longline hook from the mouth of the fish, something that wasn't there when we caught the fish. So technically it has been caught 3 times in less than 2 years and is still swimming out there!!
Here's a diagram that fisheries have sent us of the fish's path as the crow flies. Obviously it did many more miles than this as they go up and down the coast with the currents.

blue_trip.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy, that's so exciting!

Recapturing a fish and seeing how its grown and the change in location is like getting a glimpse into its life! I would add its like running into, or hearing an update, on an old friend, but then people will know I've lost my mind.

And learning it had been caught by someone else as well but got away, well, amazing!

Living by rivers, as opposed to the ocean, I associate the term 'fish' with something under two feet in length. I've seen lots of huge fish on TV, but never in real life. Its amazing what lives beneath the water's surface.

Thanks so much for sharing this information. Its wonderful hearing about programs aimed at improving our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. Thanks for your participation and contribution!

No pressure, I know you're very busy, but if you post more photos of life off-shore, that would be lovely. The photo you posted earlier of the sunrise from the boat is breathtaking and so serene.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No I completely understand it, it's like hearing some news about an old friend that makes you glad! I'm glad the guys who recaptured the fish retagged it and sent it on it's merry way again. If it gets re-captured again then the info that will be gathered will be an absolute gold-mine as that's 3 confirmed successful releases on a species of Marlin that is known to have the worst mortality rates. It's amazing how just small observations made by us fishermen at the time of capture can give marine biologists a huge window to look through. We see these fish alive a lot more than they do.

Let me see what I can find in my albums and social media, I'm at work and on a quiet graveyard shift right now so I have a bit of time to search my archives. I'll try to keep the fish pics as non-fishing as I can if you understand what I am saying hahaha :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results