shape
carat
color
clarity

[Please Help] Yellow Gold Sapphire E-ring Project

robot39

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody! I am new to this forum and also the whole jewel field. In fact, I have never bought or worn any jewelry in my life, so I think it is a good idea to gather some opinions from the experienced users here.

Stone

Recently, I am working on my engagement ring project. My girlfriend prefers Sapphire to the ordinary diamond, so I browsed quite a lot of stones and finally chose one that I love. It is a natural unheated emerald cut sapphire that can change color from blue to purple. I think it is special and beautiful.

Screenshot_20210706-135612.png
Screenshot_20210706-141118.png

Setting

So next step I am working on the ring setting. After comparing some designs, I would like to use a three stone setting (side stone = emerald cut diamond) like the one below. I think the three emerald cut parallel effect look very nice and beat, and the pave setting is also something my girlfriend loves.

Screenshot_20210706-140710.png Screenshot_20210706-140720.png

When it comes to the metal color. I would like to choose yellow gold but still worry about how it would like. Yellow gold rings are quite rate in my area, and I have never seen such design in yellow gold in real life.

In addition, I am considering to make the prong and basket part in white gold or platinum, as I see some design online doing this. The white seems much well with diamond and sapphire; meanwhile the yellow can go on the shank to give some warmth.

Screenshot_20210703-143910.png

Opinions

What do you guys think? Do you have similar jewelry that you can share to give some insights? Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, firstly is what you love what your fiancé will love?
it matters a lot!
I think the sapphire chosen is very beautiful but is she going to love a blue to purple sapphire?
If she is preferring a pale blue one, or yellow one or pink one, she might be not be as thrilled as she should be.
Secondly metal colour is also a very personal preference.
Personally I think blue/ purple sapphires look best in a white metal, whether white gold or platinum yet others love the warmth of yellow gold.
If most her/your peers are wearing white metals, your fiancé mightnt like being different on the other hand she might love being different.
Because sapphires and settings cost so much money and because it’s important to buy what she will love and adore, her preferences matter a lot.
More than a few fiancé’s have received rings and been “disappointed” and then tried to work out a way to change the ring / gemstone to what they really wanted.
Surprises are lovely but a “surprise engagement ring” with all the aspects you love but she doesn’t is a problem.
Advise making subtle enquires with fiancé family or friends to ascertain her preferences if you don’t want to ask her outright.

robot39

Rough_Rock
Hi, firstly is what you love what your fiancé will love?
it matters a lot!
I think the sapphire chosen is very beautiful but is she going to love a blue to purple sapphire?
If she is preferring a pale blue one, or yellow one or pink one, she might be not be as thrilled as she should be.
Secondly metal colour is also a very personal preference.
Personally I think blue/ purple sapphires look best in a white metal, whether white gold or platinum yet others love the warmth of yellow gold.
If most her/your peers are wearing white metals, your fiancé mightnt like being different on the other hand she might love being different.
Because sapphires and settings cost so much money and because it’s important to buy what she will love and adore, her preferences matter a lot.
More than a few fiancé’s have received rings and been “disappointed” and then tried to work out a way to change the ring / gemstone to what they really wanted.
Surprises are lovely but a “surprise engagement ring” with all the aspects you love but she doesn’t is a problem.
Advise making subtle enquires with fiancé family or friends to ascertain her preferences if you don’t want to ask her outright.

Thank you for your opinions! I will definitely try to see what she like / dislike before finalizing my design.

In addition, I am actually choosing the size of the side stones with my jeweler. He offer the following sizes. Which size / proportion do you think match with the main stone better?

(Below are not the actual diamond. They are just place holder for measuring the size.)

IMG_20210706_181849_481.jpg IMG_20210706_181901_251.jpg IMG_20210706_181905_678.jpg IMG_20210706_181909_427.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C is my favorite size. B would come in second. You didn't give us a pic with A in it.

robot39

Rough_Rock
C is my favorite size. B would come in second. You didn't give us a pic with A in it.

A seems to be too small so I did not uploaded the picture with it.
B looks like in a similar ratio with the main stone, while Cs look slim.
I wonder if I can find something in between XD.

By the way, what do you guys think about the two tone color setting?
I see that some designs use white metal on the prong / basket.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so?
Would the white diamond looks yellow in yellow gold basket?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The saphire is lovely, and I think options B or C for the side diamonds would look great. The two tone setting is nice as well, but as @Bron357 said, just make sure this is a ring your girlfriend would choose.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Two tone is very versatile. She could wear either yellow or white gold in her other Jewrllery or accessories. I ended up having two wedding sets because I couldn’t bear wearing white gold on my finger with a purse with a yellow metal clasp for example! Two tone fixes that.

helpmepickagemstone

Rough_Rock
Honestly, my Suggestion is ask if she wants to be included in the design process! I’m sure your intentions are great but it’s a lot of ‘I like ..I picked’ and not so much what she might love.

i say this as potentially the pickiest person in the entire world though and if she is less picky or prefers the surprise more than the design process that’s okay! Just maybe ask her to be sure. and give her the options you gave us without the specifics aka ‘do you have a preferred colour for sapphire? Do you know what setting you want? Do you have a metal preference?’ either way I’d be pumped to have this ring because it looks gorgeous - you just want to be certain she will be too

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imo, you want the side stones to reach the "cut corner" on the center stone (in the N/S direction). Looks undersized otherwise. Ideally, the proportions of the side stones could match the center stone (e.g., L:W of 1.5:1.0 for all stones). Needn't be that way -- maybe I'm OCD about these things.

robot39

Rough_Rock
Finally, the following side stones are chosen.
(color F, VVS1, L/W ratio 1.42)
I can't wait to put them on the ring!

IMG_20210707_200300_536.jpg

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like two tone but what your fiance will love is most important. Here is my blue sapphire two tone ring for reference. 792462E5-AC19-47B5-9218-E4F5D8232863.jpeg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The balance of (c) is perfect because don’t forget the claws will take the space from side to centre stone where they meet. Any bigger and the claws will be in the wrong place.

I love that you’re thinking of metal colours BUT this is very personal to the wearer and whilst one metal colour may look better than another, if your future wife only likes one colour metal you’re better going with that. It’s easy to tell because just look at her other jewellery.
This is going to be an adorable ring and I can’t wait to see it finished.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results