shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with Radiant Cut Diamond Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone I am relatively new to this site, but it really has been a blessing in helping me get ready to purchase a radiant cut diamond for an engagement ring. The question that I need help with is that I have found a diamond that looks pretty good on all of the measurements for a radiant cut. I used the AGA chart to grade it myself and I came up with a 2B. I was originally looking for a 1 carat 1B or 2A but I have found a diamond that is a 1.22 carat and is in my price range. The only problem that I have seen is that on the GIA cert it lists a chip on the bottom of the stone. The chip is the third of four inclusions listed on the cert. Is this something that I should be overly concerned with? I contacted the diamond vendor and they said that it should not be a problem because it is on the bottom of the stone. Even though I plan to send the stone to Dave Atlas for an apprraisal, I would love any thoughts anyone has regarding this stone. I was orirginally considering a stone in the E-G color range but this stone is an H and is almost a quarter of a carat bigger than the other one I had picked out for the same price. What do you guys think? Any advice would be appreciated because I am driving myself crazy trying to decide. Here are the specs for the diamond. Thanks for any help.

Shape: Radiant
Carat weight: 1.22
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 66.8%
Table: 65%
Polish: Excellent - Ideal
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.94*5.45*3.64
Ratio: 1.27

James

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like to me the chip won''t be a problem, but since you''re getting it appraised, make sure you mention it specifically to the appraiser to see what he or she says. I have seen H colored radiants, and I do think they show some color especially when compared to an ideal cut round, but they can still be very nice stones. The numbers look pretty good for this stone, so no worries there. Once you get it appraised, you should be able to make the final decision. Here''s one more diamond to consider:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=435593&aff_id=ps621

I like the numbers on this one, but I''m not sure how much more expensive it is than the one you picked out. And it''s not really much smaller at all.

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
I am not sure about how the chip affects the diamond, but just wanted to let you know that we had a wonderful experience with D. Atlas and his staff when purchasing my Radiant-and I am sure he will tell you what he thinks of the inclusion and cut.

Also, what is your budget (if you don''t mind me asking) and have you looked at other certs then GIA? My stone is actually EGL Certified and at first we were very wary of the fact. But thanks to Whiteflash''s assurance, we went ahead and had the stone shipped to D. Atlas. He and his staff gave us their opinion on the grade according to the GIA scale of reference and it turned out to be off in clarity by only one (VS1 vs. VVS2). I still think we found an amazing diamond for the price (D, 1.20 ct., 1A Cut, VS1, Slight Flourescence).

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input. I too, worry somewhat about the H color I was originally looking in the d-e-f range but I am tempted because this stone is about .20 cts higher than other ones in my price range. Thanks for the link to the diamond on James Allen. I have looked at it and really like the numbers, but what do think about the flouresence? Thanks again for your help and I will definitely let you know how my search is going.

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
My budget is 5000-5500. No I have not looked at any certs other than GIA, but with a 1A grade(wow) you have my interest peaked. It is really great to hear so many things about D. Atlas I really do not think that I could go wrong with using him for my appraisal. If you do not mind me asking how much did you give for 1.20 radiant with the EGL cert? Thanks for your input and I will definitely keep you posted on my search for the right radiant within my budget.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Bottom line is that color is a very personal thing. Some people even like having a yellower diamond and the "warmth" they see in it. For myself, (buying a princess), I basically decided after looking at some loose stones in person that I couldn't go lower than an H--I could see color in anything lower and I really like the "icy" look and don't like any yellow. Add to that that you're buying a fancy as well, where color can't be masked as much by cut, and it's definitely a tough decision.

Wish I could make a more concrete comment for you...

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2006 2:48:15 AM
Author: kevron62002
Thanks for your input. I too, worry somewhat about the H color I was originally looking in the d-e-f range but I am tempted because this stone is about .20 cts higher than other ones in my price range. Thanks for the link to the diamond on James Allen. I have looked at it and really like the numbers, but what do think about the flouresence? Thanks again for your help and I will definitely let you know how my search is going.

I didn''t notice the strong fluorescence for the diamond that I gave you the link. That could be a problem, but may not be at all. You would have to have James Allen call it in to look at it and give you their opinion. I have a G colored stone with medium blue fluorescence and I don''t notice any difference at all. It doesn''t look milky or anything like that. But it is possible that stones with fluorescence can look milky, so have the vendor look at it and tell you before sending it to you.

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/31/2006 2:51:51 AM
My budget is 5000-5500. No I have not looked at any certs other than GIA, but with a 1A grade(wow) you have my interest peaked. It is really great to hear so many things about D. Atlas I really do not think that I could go wrong with using him for my appraisal. If you do not mind me asking how much did you give for 1.20 radiant with the EGL cert? Thanks for your input and I will definitely keep you posted on my search for the right radiant within my budget.
We really were not looking for other certs. but didn''t limit it to just GIA. I honestly can''t remember the exact number since I found the stone and then my fiance surprised me with the rest but think it was around $6,000 give or take a little-so pretty similar to your budget!

Oh, and was mistaken, my stone has moderate flur. vs. slight that doesn''t cause it to be milky at all...

Happy hunting and good luck!

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Well I have found a definite contender in my search for a Radiant cut diamond. Here are the pictures, idealscope image and megascope report from James Allen. I had the diamond sent to AGA today for appraisal. I would love to hear any of your thoughts on this diamond. It grades a AGA 1B. I decided to go with a H in color so I could get a little bit larger stone for my money. I think it is a pretty good value but I would love to get some opinions before I purchase it.

Idealscope H VS2 (shrunk).JPG

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Here is the picture of the diamond

GIA H 1.22 ct VS2.JPG

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Here are the stats and the Megascope report from James Allen

James Allen Price $5019

Report: GIA
Shape: Radiant
Carat: 1.22
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 66.8
Table: 65
Girdle: M-STK
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.94-5.45X3.64
Length/Width: 1.27

Megascope report H 1.22 ct VS2.JPG

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a nice diamond, and the crown height is good along with the other numbers. I''m just still worried about the H color. But if it looks fine to you, that''s all that matters.

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Coda,

Thanks for the input. I am terrible at judging colors how does the color of the diamond look in the picture. Do you think it it something that I should be very concerned with. I would love to hear what you or anyone else thinks. You will not hurt my feelings by being brutally honest.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2006 7:28:04 AM
Coda,

Thanks for the input. I am terrible at judging colors how does the color of the diamond look in the picture. Do you think it it something that I should be very concerned with. I would love to hear what you or anyone else thinks. You will not hurt my feelings by being brutally honest.

It is very hard to tell from a picture a diamonds colour, why don''t you ask the vendor how the H is in the Radiant? It looks white to me, but you can''t really tell from the photo, as Coda says a Radiant can show more colour than a round, but with everything else being right with this diamond I would definitely ask how this diamond shows it''s colour. James Allen are a good vendor and will answer your questions honestly. I love warmer colours in a diamond, an H looks very white to me in my 2 ct pear, a small tint is visible in the tip in the right light, but your own eyes are going to be the only way to answer your question. Remember JA have a good return policy if you don''t like the diamond. You might take one look at this lovely rock and say wow - plenty white enough, or maybe you might see a tiny touch of colour which could bother you, trust your eyes.

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,

Thanks for your input. I see what you mean about trying to see color in the picture. I asked the associate at James Allen and she said that it faces up completely white and is a gorgeous diamond that looks as good as the diamonds in their signature cuts collection. The diamond should be on its way to Philadelphia to see D. Atlas so I will be sure to ask them what they think about the color. What do you think of the diamond in general. As far as I can tell it looks like a pretty good radiant cut and I feel like I am getting a pretty good bang for my buck. Thanks for your help all along the way you have really made me feel more confident about purchasing a diamond online.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert in Radiants but to me it looks lovely whereas many do not to my eyes
36.gif
You are going about this the right way by getting the appraisal with Dave too, also if James Allen thinks it is a very white looking Radiant I would get some confidence from that, as they are bound to think you will be pleased with it. Bear in mind too that colour differences can be so subtle, not so much yellow unless you are up in the KLM categories which I personally love, but more of a softer white if that makes sense. Also remember that colour grading isn''t an exact art, but with GIA you can be sure it is a true H, and you may have a different vision of how the diamond colour is and you may be pleasantly surprised when you see it, if not return it.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2006 7:28:04 AM
Coda,

James, I don''t know what to tell you about the color of this diamond. It is a personal thing. Some people aren''t bothered or don''t see a bit of color, but I can see color in radiants H and lower. You may love this stone when you see it, and if you don''t, you can always send it back. I know there are people on this site that have bought H colored radiants and been happy with them.

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all of the input. I have been driving myself crazy(LOL) trying to find the best diamond for my budget that will absolutely blow my girlfriend away. I will just have to wait and see how the appraisal goes and then see if the color works for me. One more quick question? If the appraisal comes back good I was planning on having the setting sent to AGA and they are going to have it set for me by a local jeweler in their area. If I get the diamond mounted and decide that I do not like the color can I still return the diamond to James Allen? Thanks again for all of your help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James as Coda says, colour is a very personal thing and Radiants may show more colour to some than a round. It depends how colour sensitive you are, going by the info I have read here, an H in this shape is probably the lowest you should go if you are concerned about seeing any warmth as most in the industry seem to think that an I in a round is where a hint of colour is perceived - but you may see this diamond and think " what was I worried about??!!!" If you don''t like it you can send it back but at least if you look you will know what to avoid next time when looking. Regarding the mounting, you may want to check with James Allen as to if you can return it once it is set, this may void the return if someone else sets the diamond, best to check carefully with them, it might not be a problem but if it is and you don''t like the diamond then you will have to keep it. I wouldn''t like to guess at this but make sure of the facts with JA to be sure
1.gif

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,

Thanks again for all of your input. I will definitely check with JA before having the diamond set. I am hopeful that the H color will work for me, but you never know. I am going to continue to be patient and try to find the best diamond for me within my budget. Thank god I did not take the first diamond that I saw at a Jeweler locally. I would have paid approximately the same price for a pretty ugly stone. Thanks again for all of your help and I will keep you posted. I am currently waiting on the appraisal results and will let you know how that goes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck James, keep us posted and please post pics when you have the ring!
35.gif

ETA - James if you look at this https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/strange-whiteflash-experience.39594/page-2 thread you will see in Aljdewey's post that James Allen won't allow returns if another jeweller has worked on the ring. I don't know if this applies to an alteration made to a ring created by JA or a diamond which has been set elsewhere or both, but check carefully.

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Well I got the appraisal back from AGA and had a chance to discuss the diamond with Chris. He said that everything looked in order so I purchased the diamond and had it set in the mounting that my girlfriend picked out. I think that it turned out quite nice and my girlfriend seemed thrilled with it. She said yes when I proposed. Here are some pictures of the ring(sorry they are not very good)

Engagement Ring 10.JPG

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Another one

Engagement Ring 11.JPG

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
Yep another

Engagement Ring 12.JPG

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
and another

Engagement Ring 13.JPG

kevron62002

Rough_Rock
This is the last one I promise. I did want to thank all of the pricescopers who were kind and patient in answering my neverending questions. All of you taught me so much and really helped put my mind at ease about purchasing a diamond on the internet. Thanks again for helping me.

Engagement Ring 14.JPG

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Looks very nice, congratulations.

Also I would say your pictures were taken very nicely, it is hard to get good pics of diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results