shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with pink stones

precious2010

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m new to colored stones and I was hoping that someone here could help me. After seeing a David Yurman Morganite Noblesse Ring, I desperately want to get a pale baby pink stone ring. From my very limited research into colored stones, I learned that morganites are too soft to be made into rings and that pink tourmalines or pink spinels are a better choice. I would love to get a 8mm to 10mm cushion cut tourmaline or spinel that is similar to a morganite in color. Any suggestions on where I could find my ideal stone. Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2010 9:36:52 PM
Author:precious2010
I'm new to colored stones and I was hoping that someone here could help me. After seeing a David Yurman Morganite Noblesse Ring, I desperately want to get a pale baby pink stone ring. From my very limited research into colored stones, I learned that morganites are too soft to be made into rings and that pink tourmalines or pink spinels are a better choice. I would love to get a 8mm to 10mm cushion cut tourmaline or spinel that is similar to a morganite in color. Any suggestions on where I could find my ideal stone. Thanks!

Getting a pale pink spinel in that size might be more challenging than getting a pale pink tourmaline, especially around 10mm. You might find one more easily in 8mm. Gene has a sale on pink spinels now.

Check with Gene of Precisiongem.com. He cut a pale pink tourmaline that is the highlight of this ring. I also think his prices are very reasonable. See the link on the ring here.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-yummy-new-3-08-pink-tourmaline-and-diamond-ring.121983/

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I agree with TL, Gene does some spectacular work.

The picture attached is a stone that I passed on, it's an 8 x 8 pink tourmaline that was too pale for me from Jerry Newman at Gemart. I think the stone is still available, but he may have passed it on to his jeweler client already. You can check with him at:

http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html

Here's the original thread on the pink tourmaline. It's a stunning cut, but I was looking for a darker stone which he cut and I LOVVVEEEE
30.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-stone-but-too-light.144512/

Most of the cutters have rough available and if you want something specific they can cut to order. If for some reason, you don't like it, you can return it without any hassle and they'll just pass it on to a jeweler or put it on their website.

Here's a thread on the final pink toum, as an FYI

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/profile/myprofile.asp?mode=recentposts&userID=44898

pinktourmpic321.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/19/2010 9:36:52 PM
Author:precious2010
I learned that morganites are too soft to be made into rings and that pink tourmalines or pink spinels are a better choice.

This is definitely not the case. Morganite is just as durable as tourmaline for use a in a ring. While spinel may be a better choice, due to it''s increased hardness, it is much more expensive. An 8mm to 10 mm spinel will cost 2 or 3 times as much as a morganite. You budget and how rough you are on your jewelry should dictate what you buy and beryls, tourmalines, and garnets are all about the same in terms of durability.

digitaldevo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Morganite is durable enough for rings. As for alternatives in light pinks, spinel as mentioned and tourmaline, with tourmaline being far more affordable. But there is also Danburite in light pink and it is an amazing stone! Extremely sparkly and brilliant when cut properly. Another option is a nice light pink sapphire.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on your budget, your option ranges from morganite itself, spinel, tourmaline, garnet and sapphire.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 11:57:08 PM
Author: digitaldevo
Morganite is durable enough for rings. As for alternatives in light pinks, spinel as mentioned and tourmaline, with tourmaline being far more affordable. But there is also Danburite in light pink and it is an amazing stone! Extremely sparkly and brilliant when cut properly. Another option is a nice light pink sapphire.

Danburite would be lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results