shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help -- which is best princess cut diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have more or less narrowed my search for a princess cut diamond to the following four. I would appreciate any thoughts. The seller appears very honest, although I always like to have as many opinions as possible.

Carat Color Clarity Depth Table Polish Symmetry Measurements Ratio Girdle

1.60 F VS1 71.3 73.0 VG G 6.58*6.45*4.6 (1.02) Medium to Thick

1.58 F VS1 72.2 67.0 G VG 6.58*6.50*4.69 (1.01) Medium to Slightly Thick

1.61 D VS1 71.0 72.0 G G 6.74*6.49*4.61 (1.04) Thin to Slightly Thick

1.70 F VS2 70.8 73.0 VG G 6.72-6.58*4.66 (1.02) Slightly Thick to Thick

None of these have cutlet, and only the last one has fluorescence (faint blue). I have asked for Sarin reports to see what else I can find out.

Thanks in advance!

taualum23

Rough_Rock
Based on the VERY limtied information provided, and my own (admittadly layman''s) opinion, stone #2 has the best chance of winning my heart. I have been deep in research onto my own princess for a while. The table below 70 is a good start, with a depth a few percentage points above that, in the low 70''s. There are only about 70,000 other angels, percentages, combinations thereof and relationships between them that can affect the stone. With all of these, I would like to SEE them, to get a feel. I know. I feel your pain.

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response.

I am planning to see them in person this week.

Any suggestions on how to judge them?

The seller has an Ideal Scope I can use to look at them with, although I think that works better for rounds (not so much princess cuts).

Also, the lighting is not like a normal store lighting. It is more of an office with minimal/desk lighting, etc. Should I bring them towards the window for sunlight? Put them under the desk lights? How else can I tell brilliance? Last time I looked at some (the dimensions of which kept me from buying one), they all looked identical in terms of brilliance, leading me to think that 1) they are all equally great 2) they are all equally bad or 3) the lighting is not so good to tell the difference.

Finally, aside from Sarin reports, is there anything else I should insist on seeing before I buy? There is a 14 day return policy, and I could have it looked at professionally during that time, but I don''t want to be the pain in the butt customer that returns a diamond. Any special tests I could have run on them to determine which of the 3-4 are the "best" (even if it costs me some money)??

Thanks again!

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
They all sound nice to me. I have found that with princess cuts you can only tell so much from the numbers. As long as they are in the right range you have to let your eyes judge for themselves. Combine that with the idealscope and you have a good idea of which stone is the best. You might want to check out this website''s tutorial on reading idealscopes before you go in .... www.idealscope.com

Hope this helps.

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Great.. thanks. Any other thoughts from anyone?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
On these numbers alone I''d choose #2 (I don''t love any of the others). However, I would want to see the ideal scope image to test leakage, and would LOVE to know the crown height/angles and pavilion angles. Good luck!

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am adding one more to the mix:

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=4667705&ref=PS622

1.59 F VVS2 71.2 69.0 VG GD 6.55*6.50*4.63

Any thoughts? Better/worse than the rest (and # 2, which seems to be the favorite of others).

This one is prices about 1k less than most of the others I listed before.. not sure why.. I don''t have the girdle info right now.. that might be the reason (if it is really bad).

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results