shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help...what color spinel?

What color spinel will look better set in 14k yellow gold?

• the medium purplish pink spinel

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • a deep raspberry spinel

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I have an empty 14k yellow gold ring setting with tiny side diamonds (.15ctw). The diamonds are not super good quality, they are sort of grayish white. Anyway, this setting needs a new stone! I love spinels, so I found two that I really like. I need your help in deciding which shade of spinel would look better with the 14k yellow gold?

The choices are:

A) a paler pinkish violet spinel OR

B) a deeper pinkish purpley spinel?

I am attaching pictures...

OR should I not get either and try to find a deep raspberry pinky reddish spinel?

Thanks for your opinions!
1.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is A:

pinkish violet spinel.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is B:

purplish pink spinel.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m no longer a yellow gold fan--I would much prefer the look of white gold and gemstones. But unfortunately I am stuck with the yellow gold setting, so I want to put it to use.

Also, keep in mind I am not a big fan of green stones, which is what usually is shown with yellow gold.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for the second, darker one. The pink seems pretty strong on my monitor so it could pair better with the yellow gold, I''d think.

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I voted for B as well - I bought a yellow gold setting for the spinel in my avatar and it just got lost in there - I ended up not using it. The stone is in a platinum setting now and it looks great!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for the 2nd one also. And, I think a raspberry color in yg would be great too. AJ''s raspberry colored garnet JM is gorgeous!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#B vote here.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is #B the same as the letter 2? hahaha

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 8:46:57 PM
Author: packrat
Is #B the same as the letter 2? hahaha
lol... I got all mixed up with # and letters at the same time and trying to have a conversation with DH, but the second picture that was posted
3.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooookay I''ll let it slide then! I can''t talk while I''m typing-I either start saying what I''m typing, or I start typing what I''m talking about.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
If you don''t like the yellow, you can have it dipped in rhodium for about 35 dollars. I did that over a year ago for some allergy protection, and the ring still looks great with no sign of wear. I have read that the quality can vary greatly with dipping, so do your homework if you decide to go this route.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks girls! I appreciate all your opinions--looks like B is the winner so far. Sorry I made my poll confusing what with the letters and numbers.

What about a purpley blue one? That might look good too?
33.gif
Argh, too many choices, lol.

lilacyblue.jpg

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for deep raspberry spinel

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for B but I am a sucker for these colors of spinel so I''d take them all.
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Voted deep raspberry for one reason only - that color mixed with YG is one of my favorite combinations. Stones with pastel tones rarely look as good in YG as they do in white, so I''d rule those out. Your second suggestion (deeper pinkish purpley) could be a good choice too, but not as good (at least for me) as deep raspberry. Also keep in mind that the paler stone seems to have a bit of grey to it, and if there are greyish diamonds in the setting already, grey might end up being even more obvious.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with the second choice B for several reasons:
1. Stone A shows a lot of gray.
2. Stone B not only has better colour but will look nice in yellow gold
3. Stone 3 is also rather pale and won’t look as nice in yellow gold.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote B as well :)
I used to dislike YG settings, but now I''m on the hunt for one! I think YG and the right stone can have a rich, romantic, regal look that WG just doesn''t really compare to.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
B here as well! It''s a lovely color!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I went with option B as well. I think the colors will pop nicely against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results