shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help this newbie buying my first engagement ring

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409150644|3740104 said:
OK.so I've been throwing a lot at you, sorry about that lol.

I would look at blue Nile and James Allen. They have good returns and settings that are more budget friendly.

Go look at aaalllll the settings at both of those websites. See which setting you like best, then we can find a stone for that setting.

One word of warning. Only look at rounds or cushions in blue Nile as other shapes you need to see photos- and you won't get photos of anything besides there BN signature ideals.

But in JA look at all of them. Who knows you might fall in love with an emerald cut!

I like these settings:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/engraved-cathedral-18k-white-gold-5453w18
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_33610?elem=img&track=product
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/tapered-milgrain-14k-white-gold-diamond-engagement-ring_44561?elem=img&track=product
I spent an hour on the james allen site, can't find any i like. Maybe I'm going numb from looking at rings for 2 hours:)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
barginhunter said:

I would look at blue Nile and James Allen. They have good returns and settings that are more budget friendly.

Go look at aaalllll the settings at both of those websites. See which setting you like best, then we can find a stone for that setting.

One word of warning. Only look at rounds or cushions in blue Nile as other shapes you need to see photos- and you won't get photos of anything besides there BN signature ideals.

But in JA look at all of them. Who knows you might fall in love with an emerald cut!

I like these settings:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/engraved-cathedral-18k-white-gold-5453w18
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_33610?elem=img&track=product
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/tapered-milgrain-14k-white-gold-diamond-engagement-ring_44561?elem=img&track=product
I spent an hour on the james allen site, can't find any i like. Maybe I'm going numb from looking at rings for 2 hours:)
Those are all nice. May I ask though, why you like that BN one and not the JA one I originally suggested. The largest difference I see is the millgraining, which can be added for free. The cathedral is filled in on the BN one and open on the JA one, but as she'll be wearing a w band with it, presumably, that difference will be negligible. And this is $160 cheaper.

uploadfromtaptalk1409228608685.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
barginhunter said:

I like these settings:

Those are all nice. May I ask though, why you like that BN one and not the JA one I originally suggested. The largest difference I see is the millgraining, which can be added for free. The cathedral is filled in on the BN one and open on the JA one, but as she'll be wearing a w band with it, presumably, that difference will be negligible. And this is $160 cheaper.

The OP managed to find the same ring, only more expensive! LOL

Actually, it seems the JA ring tapers a little more, which I like... Personally, I'd get the JA setting bc it's less money and buying from JA (from what I've read from others here) is pretty effortless. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
I went shopping with my future wife and she like this Cathy Waterman ring. It is $7220. It has a .89ct black diamond in the center. Are black diamond valuable? Is this ring worth the cost? Any way I can make or find a similar ring for less? Thanks.

18c8e844fc65a9d784ce788510fd009e.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was that ring but instead of what's in it it had a black diamond?

Well Cathy waterman gets a premium $$$ because its a brand name, bit great news is black diamonds are less expensive than white ones, so this can be created for your budget I'm sure let me look around.

black diamonds dont really sparkle, though. Is she happy with a diamond that doesnt sparkle? They will be opaque. Also, that setting is black rhodium plated. Did she want that? keep in mind it wares off easily and she would have to get it replated.

If the answer to the sparkle question is that she would like a diamond to sparkle, consider gray diamonds?
http://www.leibish.com/gray-diamond/075ct-fancy-light-gray-round-si1-111002-17691

if she doesnt care, does she care if the diamond is completely natural, or treated, as often black diamonds are treated. This makes them cheaper of course, BUT i wouldnt buy a treated stone unless shes ok with that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so ive been trying to think of a setting similar to that one, but in budget....

heres what ive come up with. Its a brand called MaeVona
http://www.maevona.com/product/MVA33_EOR_OV
it doesnt tell you the MSRP of the oval one, but the round version shows the MSRP as $1120, so i would expect it to cost a similar amount for 18k white gold
heres the best pick of it i could find. They have more photos of the setting, but they are always with an emerald cut.

not the same but heres what i was talking about with the emerald, just because its a better photo

eorsa-group-558x418.jpg

f5d120bb739f7f1778e0c68980b6414c.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she is set on a black diamond and doesnt mind if its been treated, those diamonds around a ct are usually a few hundred.

If she is ok with that, you could get a custom ring made to look like that Cathy Waterman ring well within your budget.

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409542272|3742739 said:

it doesnt tell you the MSRP of the oval one, but the round version shows the MSRP as $1120, so i would expect it to cost a similar amount for 18k white gold
heres the best pick of it i could find. They have more photos of the setting, but they are always with an emerald cut.

not the same but heres what i was talking about with the emerald, just because its a better photo

Niel, you are amazing and those sites are awesome. I spoke with her in regard to the rhodium plating, and she doesn't like the idea of having to pay a jeweler $100 each year or so to get it replated. So even though she like the blackened look of the platinum, she would be ok with the traditional silver look. She doesn't like the "regular" diamond. She like the blacken, cognac, and the gray as an accent or the main diamond to kind of make it so the ring is too sparkly. She like a lower profile setting as well. I'm glad I talk to her before I buy a ring, because I didn't know all this... Boy, I would've been in trouble...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
barginhunter|1409614547|3743075 said:
Niel|1409542272|3742739 said:

Niel, you are amazing and those sites are awesome. I spoke with her in regard to the rhodium plating, and she doesn't like the idea of having to pay a jeweler $100 each year or so to get it replated. So even though she like the blackened look of the platinum, she would be ok with the traditional silver look. She doesn't like the "regular" diamond. She like the blacken, cognac, and the gray as an accent or the main diamond to kind of make it so the ring is too sparkly. She like a lower profile setting as well. I'm glad I talk to her before I buy a ring, because I didn't know all this... Boy, I would've been in trouble...

Haha yes! We were completely on the wrong track!

But don't worry, well find you something awesome. And frankly this is more fun!

So black, brown, or gray.

And do you think shed like rose or yellow gold? Rose goes great with brown, and the black goes really beautifully with rose and yellow.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Im just trying to think exactly what she might like in my head, and i my head a feel like this might work, the metal being grooved like this sort of gives the white metal a darker color, and would add an interesting textural element regardless of metal choice. Its got accent diamonds, but few, to reduce the feeling of "overly blingy" And its very low profile.

Does she like halos? Would it be too modern?

What do you think?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/cora-sholdt-platinum-5767p

_21885.jpg

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409617033|3743091 said:
And Im just trying to think exactly what she might like in my head, and i my head a feel like this might work, the metal being grooved like this sort of gives the white metal a darker color, and would add an interesting textural element regardless of metal choice. Its got accent diamonds, but few, to reduce the feeling of "overly blingy" And its very low profile.

What do you think?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/cora-sholdt-platinum-5767p

So I took this photo at the store. This is the one except it's $7200, is it reasonable? It's a .87ct rose cut diamond center stone with the rhodium painted platinum ring setting. If anyone can find another ring close to it or exactly that would be great! She loves the pattern of the setting and the overall style of this ring. Thanks!

_21972.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
barginhunter|1409839431|3744675 said:

What do you think?

So I took this photo at the store. This is the one except it's $7200, is it reasonable? It's a .87ct rose cut diamond center stone with the rhodium painted platinum ring setting. If anyone can find another ring close to it or exactly that would be great! She loves the pattern of the setting and the overall style of this ring. Thanks!

no. I dont think its reasonable. I think those rings are overpriced. But that means we should be able to get close to that in your budget. Let me look around a bit, i feel like ive seen a similar setting. Otherwise, you might want to consider going custom

does it need to be a rose cut like that? or would she take a normal faceted stone?

had you planned to increase your budget to pay for that? do you have more to work with now?

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409839693|3744676 said:
barginhunter|1409839431|3744675 said:

What do you think?

no. I dont think its reasonable. I think those rings are overpriced. But that means we should be able to get close to that in your budget. Let me look around a bit, i feel like ive seen a similar setting. Otherwise, you might want to consider going custom

does it need to be a rose cut like that? or would she take a normal faceted stone?

had you planned to increase your budget to pay for that? do you have more to work with now?

Thanks Niel! Yes, she does like it rose cut like that if possible. I don't think she likes it too sparkly just a little, maybe an oval diamond that is not too sparkly might work too or be similar? Does that mean a diamond that has a bad clarity might look like this? I don't know... This is a pretty ring when I saw it in person. The setting and the detail of the ring with the contrast of the shades is what she likes best. The brian gavin ring you suggested has that too, but she likes this one better :confused: I can increase my budget on this, I just don't want to over pay. Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, so after looking I dont think Im going to find anything exactly like what she wants. Instead of overpaying for that design, id have one custom made.

Id contact Caysie. Shes the best. She could absolutely make a similar ring, and much closer to your original budget.

https://www.etsy.com/people/cvbgraphix

As for metal color, you ignored that question so i suspect that means only white metal, but I still wanted to ask, shes not into rose gold?

Im still looking for stones for you, i do think if you got a stone that was a deep enough fancy color you could get a regular faceted stone and be happy with it. it will have a different sparkle than a white diamond.

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409841471|3744688 said:
ok, so after looking I dont think Im going to find anything exactly like what she wants. Instead of overpaying for that design, id have one custom made.

Id contact Caysie. Shes the best. She could absolutely make a similar ring, and much closer to your original budget.

As for metal color, you ignored that question so i suspect that means only white metal, but I still wanted to ask, shes not into rose gold?

Im still looking for stones for you, i do think if you got a stone that was a deep enough fancy color you could get a regular faceted stone and be happy with it. it will have a different sparkle than a white diamond.

I think she does like to have the white and darken look rings better than the rose gold. sorry, I missed that question. I will contact caysie, and see. Thank you!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love Cathy Waterman designs...but yeah, the price tags are a little silly. I actually have this same ring saved in my inspiration folder!

It is a very particular look, and if this is what your GF likes, I wouldn't try to sub in something too different. I would go with a rose cut diamond, and I would go with oxidized white gold (there will be some upkeep involved with this), and I would get a ring custom made to avoid the inflated price tag that comes with the designer name.

I think I just saw that Grace at Jewels by Grace has some rose cuts in, so I would try reaching out to her for the diamond. You could try Erica at Love Affair Diamonds too. The good news is that rose cuts are very affordable since they face up large for their carat weight due to their lack of depth.

David Klass is one that I would consider reaching out to on this for a quote for the setting as well.

I think you could very easily do a gorgeous version of this ring within your budget. Very exciting project! I can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Also wanted to add that the picture that you posted is not a black diamond. It is probably what CW colourfully terms as either a "rustic diamond" or a "grey moghul diamond", but definitely not a black diamond.

I would absolutely go with a colourless/near colourless VS2 or better clarity rose cut. It still won't be in your face sparkly, but also won't be cloudy or visibly off-colour or included. "Rustic" diamonds are trendy with certain designers right now (I imagine because the margins on such poor quality diamonds must be huge!), but I wonder if for an engagement ring, your GF is still going to feel the same way about a murky, included diamond when the trend has changed in a decade or two? :???: Anyway, my two cents, I would stick with a rose cut, but a nice quality one as far as clarity and colour.

Edited to add: Oops, just noticed above that your GF specifically wants a black, grey or cognac diamond over colourless. Well, you are in luck budget-wise! I would still opt for a good clarity in a grey or cognac. Nothing opaque or included.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1409846291|3744720 said:
Also wanted to add that the picture that you posted is not a black diamond. It is probably what CW colourfully terms as either a "rustic diamond" or a "grey moghul diamond", but definitely not a black diamond.

I would absolutely go with a colourless/near colourless VS2 or better clarity rose cut. It still won't be in your face sparkly, but also won't be cloudy or visibly off-colour or included. "Rustic" diamonds are trendy with certain designers right now (I imagine because the margins on such poor quality diamonds must be huge!), but I wonder if for an engagement ring, your GF is still going to feel the same way about a murky, included diamond when the trend has changed in a decade or two? :???: Anyway, my two cents, I would stick with a rose cut, but a nice quality one as far as clarity and colour.

Edited to add: Oops, just noticed above that your GF specifically wants a black, grey or cognac diamond over colourless. Well, you are in luck budget-wise! I would still opt for a good clarity in a grey or cognac. Nothing opaque or included.

thing is have you ever seen a NICE brown or grey rose cut diamond? Any rose cuts that color look like concrete! And we def dont want that! I agree with you the murky cloudy diamonds are trendy and not the kind of thing you would want for an engagement ring youll wear for the rest of your life.

He also said he didnt want to have to worry about constantly replating the ring, so it will be white metal.

to get a similar look you could go with a black diamond. I would stick with black or grey though because brown and white dont really go all that well together .

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you Niel on the NICE brown or grey rose cut. Nope, not that I've seen. Too bad about not wanting the oxidized metal. I think that would look killer with a nice crisp white rose cut, and you would get that exact look with a better diamond. Maybe black diamond melee stones with a white rose cut centre could achieve the look?

The OP also might want to check out Kate Szabone. She has similar design sensibilities to Cathy Waterman, but her prices are much more reasonable.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nevermind

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i still prefer grey though.

what do you think of this

http://www.leibish.com/gray-diamond/087ct-fancy-grey-cushion-si2-50857-11922

set it sideways so it looks more oval-like. My only concern is if its cloudy or milky-so i would just ask them. It says its eye clean, but id still want to ask a bit more.

Also i was thinking about the blackened gold. She may never want to get it replated- but you might consider doing it at first. That way, if she likes it you can keep it up, if she doesnt want to keep it up you can just let it wear off naturally- no harm done

grey_d.jpg

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Niel, great find! That's a beautiful unique diamond with the character the OP's fiance seems to want. As a member who likes to read and learn I thought I'd add my two cents. :clap:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1409849314|3744758 said:
Also i was thinking about the blackened gold. She may never want to get it replated- but you might consider doing it at first. That way, if she likes it you can keep it up, if she doesnt want to keep it up you can just let it wear off naturally- no harm done

Niel, are there differences in upkeep for a ring with oxidized gold or platinum (like what is used by Singlestone or James Meyer) vs black rhodium plating? I know you can clean the oxidization off if you use chemicals for cleaning, but dawn and a soft brush are supposed to be ok. Would the oxidized metal have a better chance of fading more gracefully over time than full on black plating?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1409853783|3744808 said:
Niel|1409849314|3744758 said:

Niel, are there differences in upkeep for a ring with oxidized gold or platinum (like what is used by Singlestone or James Meyer) vs black rhodium plating? I know you can clean the oxidization off if you use chemicals for cleaning, but dawn and a soft brush are supposed to be ok. Would the oxidized metal have a better chance of fading more gracefully over time than full on black plating?
Good question!

I've never been interested enough in blackened gold to find out. Might be a new thread the opahould start if he wants to go that route. I forget there are two looks you can achieve. Full on black metal look or an oxidized look like you said..... :think:

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409841471|3744688 said:

I messaged Caysie, and she said she can make that setting! So now where can I find rose cut diamonds, are ovals the same? She said it would cost about $2300 so I can up my budget to 5k and get a nice diamond for about $2500, what do you think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results