shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help - setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I''ve been reading these forums as of late and am delighted to see how helpful they are. Today I registered and thought I would start out asking for some opinions on a setting. I am very much interested in anyone''s opinion, but I am especially interested in hearing from the ladies on this one ...

My girlfriend has two young children and when I propose to her I want to make it clear that I am asking for the entire package. As such, I''m considering two different settings that signifies her and her children. My first option is a round cut center stone with two tapered side baguettes (one on each side of the center stone). I really like this setting because it looks "classic" and "traditional" and those words accurately describe my girlfriend as well. My second option is a round cut center stone with two small side diamonds. This setting appears more beautiful to me, but I am concerned that it will somehow subtract from the center stone or perhaps that the overall look will be less traditional to the point that people won''t recognize it as an engagement ring. I like option two because the side diamonds do a better job of signifying her two children, yet my concerns make me wonder if option one is better. Right now I am 50/50 and need the thoughts of others please.

So that you will have more information, the center stone will be in the 1.65 - 1.80 range and the side stones or baguettes will have a total combined weight of .35 - .50 range. An example of setting one is http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=E5413 and an example of setting two is http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=88708

Please help!
23.gif
Thank you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2005 7:45:14 AM
Author:CountryBoy

I am concerned that it (three stone) will somehow subtract from the center stone or perhaps that the overall look will be less traditional to the point that people won''t recognize it as an engagement ring.
N''ah... especially if the sidestones are not large, there is no confusion. The baguette sides are too discrete, IMO, to have a meaning aside the center stone.

How about heart shaped sides ? This might be a bit unusual (well cut, matched hearts are already not an everyday encounter) but definitely classic and not a three-stone ring.

The setting might be like this: link

004PO11.jpg

Laralooblue

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the setting with the round side stones for both the symbolic value of the two children and just general all-around preference.
emsmile.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2005 7:45:14 AM
Author:CountryBoy
Hello Everyone,

I''ve been reading these forums as of late and am delighted to see how helpful they are. Today I registered and thought I would start out asking for some opinions on a setting. I am very much interested in anyone''s opinion, but I am especially interested in hearing from the ladies on this one ...

My girlfriend has two young children and when I propose to her I want to make it clear that I am asking for the entire package. As such, I''m considering two different settings that signifies her and her children. My first option is a round cut center stone with two tapered side baguettes (one on each side of the center stone). I really like this setting because it looks ''classic'' and ''traditional'' and those words accurately describe my girlfriend as well. My second option is a round cut center stone with two small side diamonds. This setting appears more beautiful to me, but I am concerned that it will somehow subtract from the center stone or perhaps that the overall look will be less traditional to the point that people won''t recognize it as an engagement ring. I like option two because the side diamonds do a better job of signifying her two children, yet my concerns make me wonder if option one is better. Right now I am 50/50 and need the thoughts of others please.

So that you will have more information, the center stone will be in the 1.65 - 1.80 range and the side stones or baguettes will have a total combined weight of .35 - .50 range. An example of setting one is http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=E5413 and an example of setting two is http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=88708

Please help!
23.gif
Thank you.
First I think you are very smart to want to include the children and very sweet. I like option two it is prettier to me and I think it does a better job of what you are trying to acheive. Next how old are the children, what are their genders? Have you thought of getting them a little present as well? (Like a Child''s ID Bracelet) Good Luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is very sweet that you want to find something to represent her children. I vote for #2. I don''t think the side stones will distract at all from the center.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey countryboy!
35.gif
welcome to ps!!
your ring idea is so very sweet and thoughtful! both designs would work well, and i like them both. i also like ana''s idea of heart shaped sides. i guess i am no help....i like them all! you can''t go wrong with either one...best of luck to you!!

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much to everyone who has made suggestions thus far. This forum is invaluable! Based on the comments here I am leaning towards the side diamonds and away from the baguettes, but I''m still up in the air a bit. I would appreciate any additional thoughts and again, thank those that have responded thus far.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi CountryBoy,
Welcome to PS!!! That is very sweet and thoughtful of you. I like the second one and think it''s very classic and elegant.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi CountryBoy!

What a wonderful and thoughtful person you are to want to also include her children. While I like the look of a round center with side baguettes, I think option #2 is better for what you want to accomplish. I think smaller round side diamonds would be perfect to symbolize her children with "big" mom in the middle. I think that if the side stones are in proportion to the middle stone then they do not detract from the center stone. Of course I like the look of side stones so I might not be the one to ask.

kimmbe

Rough_Rock
Not sure if this helps, but "ditto" to everyone saying the second option. I think symbolically and design-wise it makes sense to do a smaller version of the center stone, which is just what they are! I also think it''s a wonderful idea someone had to get the children presents,too. She sounds like a very lucky lady to have a guy thinking about her children in such a prominent way.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Kimberley

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results