shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help, round brilliant in a cushion or round halo?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1382904040|3545718 said:
I think your ring looks beautiful and I do not think I would have it remade into the same thing but round halo. I don't think the money lost and respent will be worth it.

OP, I totally agree with diamondseeker... :halo:

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
That's exactly what I think I need to justify in my head, would it be worth it to have to halo redone to round? I mean there is nothing WRONG WITH MY RING, the halo is more square then I would have liked and I am second guessing if it should have been round to begin with. I also know my nature is to second guess all my major life decisions and that half the time I stick with my original plan and half the time I end up having it eat at me to the point where I need to change it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockredo|1382907568|3545759 said:
That's exactly what I think I need to justify in my head, would it be worth it to have to halo redone to round? I mean there is nothing WRONG WITH MY RING, the halo is more square then I would have liked and I am second guessing if it should have been round to begin with. I also know my nature is to second guess all my major life decisions and that half the time I stick with my original plan and half the time I end up having it eat at me to the point where I need to change it.

I feel you on the "squareness" issue. When I first saw mine (it was custom), I was thinking oh sh!t, I've made a big mistake... But the more I wore it, the more I liked it until I loved it. One thing I do that helps me is to view your ring in a mirror -- don't know why, but it helps me appreciate it more (and for some reason it looks bigger :bigsmile: ). Just casually walk by and check out your sparkly periodically! :love:

Maybe if you'd had the round halo made to begin with, you'd be wishing you'd gone with cushion?? :bigsmile: :lol: Just give it a little bit and let it grow on you -- you'll know what you really want when the newness wears off some. :)) ...then, if you still long for a round halo, you'll know that's what you really want. Also, by waiting, you will feel more confident in your decision and less likely to second guess yourself again. :halo:

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
You are all so great! I also had mine made custom, blessing and curse since I could not see it before it was done. I saw a way mold but could not try it on? Anyway, msop04 I love your advice and I already feel better...funny part is when I first saw the ring I loved it then 2 days later I began ripping it apart and dissecting it...buyers remorse? It looks good in the mirror!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful, I think it is a keeper. My 2 cents.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I just wanted to again thank you for helping me in my state if despair! I a still thinking a lot about that round halo....and whether I could justify spending another big chunk of money to sell this new setting just to get something similar but round. I also have been thinking about the fact that every 5-10 years I seem to crave change! I have come to 2 possibilities. First is keep this ring as is, the pros are in is set to wear rings flush and looks awesome with skinny stacked bands and it lets me try out the cushion, well square cushion shape on my hand. Perhaps in 10 years I want to trade the whole thing in and get something different? At least then I would have gotten my wear and money out of the setting etc.

I do keep thinking about the round halo and my question is this, I like the donut look...I would not get pave on the donut though but is that tiny bump really that problematic with a band? My original band is 3 sided pave and I should not being wearing it smack against another ring anyway...So maybe a small donut is fine to give me a tiny distance? The flush fit stems are nice too...thoughts?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockredo|1383417258|3549142 said:
Hi everyone, I just wanted to again thank you for helping me in my state if despair! I a still thinking a lot about that round halo....and whether I could justify spending another big chunk of money to sell this new setting just to get something similar but round. I also have been thinking about the fact that every 5-10 years I seem to crave change! I have come to 2 possibilities. First is keep this ring as is, the pros are in is set to wear rings flush and looks awesome with skinny stacked bands and it lets me try out the cushion, well square cushion shape on my hand. Perhaps in 10 years I want to trade the whole thing in and get something different? At least then I would have gotten my wear and money out of the setting etc.

I do keep thinking about the round halo and my question is this, I like the donut look...I would not get pave on the donut though but is that tiny bump really that problematic with a band? My original band is 3 sided pave and I should not being wearing it smack against another ring anyway...So maybe a small donut is fine to give me a tiny distance? The flush fit stems are nice too...thoughts?

Here 2 examples. The first is SB's first Emilya. The second is Soxfan's recent Emilya. Sox is wearing bands from the store. She will order her own bands later this year. To protect melee you could wear a small spacer.

What I would do is to go with your ring to a jeweller and try some bands. You will find out soon enough what look you prefer.

_11484.jpg

_11485.jpg

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
SO...the ring has been on my hand a bit over a month now and I am still obsessing it should have been round....So last night my husband finally weighs in at my request and says he thinks it should be round too because it no longer looks like the diamond he bought me - it truly looks square like from any distance! I think this is what is bugging me too...I decided to keep the diamond he proposed with long ago and now it looks totally different and feels funny to me.

So it is beautiful, but just not ME. I am going to speak to the jeweler who made it, which I feel terrible about doing, but in the end I want to be 100% happy so a round halo here I COME.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a really tough time deciding between a round and cushion halo too so I sympathize with your dilemma! I still have moments when I think I should have gone with a cushion shape lol- but I finally went with round because I wanted to maintain the round shape of the diamond when viewed from a distance, just as you and dh are now feeling. That was really the only thing that helped me decide. Good luck moving forward and let us know how your talk with the jeweler goes!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Junebug17, thanks for sharing your experience! I never realized before that I was attached to the shape ....and my ring totally looks like s squarish shape now. I guess I just wanted to enhance my old stone, not totally change it...but didn't realize it until I am wearing it. It a beautiful setting and sparkles all the time. I feel bad because it IS what I had ordered, although slightly more cushion, but still what I had made exactly otherwise. My plan is to kindly ask if he would rebuy it for his store inventory....it as a sample....hoping he would at half what I paid. Does that sound reasonable? I have had it a month and it was expensive.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockredo|1385308291|3562051 said:
SO...the ring has been on my hand a bit over a month now and I am still obsessing it should have been round....So last night my husband finally weighs in at my request and says he thinks it should be round too because it no longer looks like the diamond he bought me - it truly looks square like from any distance! I think this is what is bugging me too...I decided to keep the diamond he proposed with long ago and now it looks totally different and feels funny to me.

So it is beautiful, but just not ME. I am going to speak to the jeweler who made it, which I feel terrible about doing, but in the end I want to be 100% happy so a round halo here I COME.

I'm glad you gave yourself time to really think about it, and it sounds like you'd be more content with the round halo. :)) I love rounds, and I think if I'd been used to seeing one on my finger, I'd have trouble with the change as well. Don't feel bad about the jeweler part -- make yourself happy!! =)

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much... I will keep you posted. I plan to email the jeweler tomorrow about my decision. I am sure he will think I am nuts, but I can't be the first I change their mind about a setting, right? I am not expecting he does anything but say OH WELL...so if he is willing to work something out financially, great! I have been stressing over this for to long!

kat08

Rough_Rock
Rockredo|1385314990|3562080 said:
Junebug17, thanks for sharing your experience! I never realized before that I was attached to the shape ....and my ring totally looks like s squarish shape now. I guess I just wanted to enhance my old stone, not totally change it...but didn't realize it until I am wearing it. It a beautiful setting and sparkles all the time. I feel bad because it IS what I had ordered, although slightly more cushion, but still what I had made exactly otherwise. My plan is to kindly ask if he would rebuy it for his store inventory....it as a sample....hoping he would at half what I paid. Does that sound reasonable? I have had it a month and it was expensive.

Isn't it amazing how sensitive we can be to shapes? When I was upgrading a year and a half ago, I was debating between a round and octagonal halo. I ended up going with an octagonal halo, and after about a month of wearing it and feeling ambivalent, I realized that I'd made a mistake! The pointiness of the octagonal shape bothered me. I used to think a cushion shape wouldn't have bothered me as much as octagonal, but your thread has made me realize that a cushion probably would have bothered me, too. I waited a year and half (until finances permitted), and I'm finally changing my setting to a round halo (and upgrading the diamond while I'm at it). I can't wait until my new ring arrives.

Do what makes you happy, after you've made sure you've had time to really think about it and give your setting a chance. A wedding ring set is something special that we wear and look at everyday, and you should love it.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Kat08,

Thanks for your comments, makes me feel a bit more justified....What will your new setting look like? I wore a round diamond for 14 years so I think I was more attached to the shape than I thought. Are you planning to sell the old setting? Good luck!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockredo|1385314990|3562080 said:

I don't have any experience dealing with a jeweler with regard to this, but I think it's a reasonable thing to suggest to him - it can't hurt to ask anyway! Don't feel badly about changing your mind - it happens and sometimes you just don't know how you are going to feel about something until you actually wear it for a bit - I've been on PS a few years now and have seen quite a few people switch or tweak their settings due to not being happy with them, you aren't alone! It's too bad you are losing money on this, but IMO in the long run it's worth it if it means you will be completely satisfied with your ring.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Junebug, my husband said the same...even though I will lose some money I need to love it...I have already reset twice! I want to settle on a forever setting. Funny thing is I still love the cushion halo look, just want the halo to follow my diamond shape. Ok...to email the jeweler and see what he says... Fingers crossed .....

kat08

Rough_Rock
Rockredo|1385320078|3562120 said:
Kat08,

Thanks for your comments, makes me feel a bit more justified....What will your new setting look like? I wore a round diamond for 14 years so I think I was more attached to the shape than I thought. Are you planning to sell the old setting? Good luck!

My new setting will be a bezel halo (the halo part and the ring band's edges have milgrain; the bezel is smooth). I decided to keep my old setting for a right-hand ring. I don't dislike my other setting as a whole; it just didn't look right to me as my engagement ring and continued to bother me. With a diamond as the centerpiece, I found the halo and center diamonds all blurred together (the center diamond is set with prongs), putting too much emphasis on the pointiness of the octagonal metal perimeter. I think the setting will look lovely, though, with a colored gem: the color will stand out as a separate element from the octagonal halo and give the whole ring a softer look (since the center stone will be round). I'm planning to put in a sapphire.

Hope you can get everything sorted out and have a ring that you adore.

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
So I got the courage up to tell the jeweler that I wished I had gone with a round halo. He is taking it to his benchman to see if the cushion shape halo can simply be changed out to a round halo. He did not discuss fees for this yet? So I am waiting to see the decision...there are a few others very minor things that I would change too. But if there is a minimal charge to go with a round halo on the same ring it seems the cheapest and easiest way to make it work. Otherwise I would have to sell this setting and start over. :))

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for keeping us posted! I'm glad you spoke to him about it and I hope it works out - let us know how you make out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results