shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help ~~Possible Victorian Agate Hardstone Cameo of my Family Brooch Pendant Set ~~

S L D

Rough_Rock
Hi,

My post is kind of long, but if someone reads this, I'm hoping you will be so kind to help me with any info with my pieces. This brooch/pendant, and its baby brooch's, have been in my family for many years so I know it's really old for sure. Originally had a triple-set.... That was up until my daughter turned old enough to find my jewelry box! Missing one of the small pieces that should be on the left. I didn't start researching these until recently watching a show on vintage brooches, value, and all the new ones out there in the market these days. Since then, I pulled mine out and have been learning as much as I can.

This particular set has passed all my home tests. I have a magnifying glass, passed the hot pin test 100%, Stood cell phone light behind and in front. I posted quite a few pics with light, without light and some zoomed in at least 5x and held the pendant up to my face (felt cold for 10 min at least), tapped on my tooth too (almost broke my tooth).

Oh in the pics, please don't mind my dirty nails magnified 10X :lol-2:. I took them a couple days ago, live in Hawaii and was in the garden most of the day. I also have never cleaned the pieces before and I've had them in my possession at least 20 years. I probably should have done that before I took all the pics. Some of the neck area shows the dusty dirt under the mag glass.
These are just some of the things in my notes t.hat have stood out to me or have puzzled me:

My guess on this is it's an Agate Hardstone Victorian Lady Cameo Possible Pinchback Material ~

• Left facing lady that is mostly matte except for her neck and chest that have a little more shine. Not much, but a slight difference.. She has a headband piece around her head and I believe that's a veil going down her back. Curly hair with flowing dress that has a tiny flower in the middle
  • Both ladies show an off white color - maybe used to be pink, I have no idea but I also didn't see any shell lines and this just feels like a stone. They both also have a few specks of black and the larger pendant has a couple tiny lines on her smoother neck area, not visible to naked eye.
  • She seems to be of that era because of her flat nose. I don't know if that would mean Roman or? Would love to know a better year
  • I think it's agate that the ladies are on. If you look at the whole piece from its side, bottom color goes from shade of brownish-red to lighter amber up towards the lady.
  • Fairly large, ornate pendant with bail that flips back and forth. Smaller one has a deep underside. It only goes down as thick as the bezel that it sits in. Almost think it could have been a secret locket area or something like that.
  • C clasp pin backing but the pin doesn't stick out past the frame. Clasp end's hole is covered with same gold tone fill to prevent it from poking out though. But it isn't long enough, it may be bent a bit or maybe the pin was re-done once?
  • Gold tone frame that reminds me of brass, but just not sure. Maybe pinchback of copper and zinc. The bezel that holds the cameo itself appears to be a different gold. .
  • Don't see any symmetrical lines as if used by an ultrasound, the stone looks a bit more complicated with many different indents and craftsmanship.
  • I did see (mag) what could be possible adhesive leftover material that made two pieces into one. Very faint, but something is between the two colors.
  • The smaller piece does look a little different that the main girl. Nose, Lips, Flower in different spot,
  • 7 total seed pearls should be in place, it looks like a couple have fallen out and maybe replaced w/ silver balls (One pearl on the bail.) Smaller pendant has 3 small silver tone balls on bottom and one on top.
Sorry this post is so lengthy, I just wanted to get it all in. I'm really excited to hear what anyone has to say about these pretty ladies. I really appreciate the feedback. I've hit a standstill with finding more information. I live in the deep jungle of Maui's north shore, I don't get down to a jewelers very often. Then again, vintage research seems to be really fun!! THANKS AGAIN!!

BELOW - LARGE AND SMALL PENDANT FRONT LARGE SMALL BACKSIDE LARGE WITH COIN COMPARISON

LargeSmallFront.JPG LargeSmallBack.jpg CoinComparison.jpeg

10X MAGNIFIED SIDE BY SIDE 10X MAGNIFIED TOP BOTTOM

BothSideBySide.JPG BothTopBottomComparison.PNG

LARGE WITH LIGHT FACING BEHIND PENDANT LARGE WITH LIGHT FACING FRONT

LargeBackLightClose.PNG l LargeFrontLight.jpg

LARGE TAKEN WITH MAGNIFIER 5X TOP AND LEFT SIDE LARGE TAKEN WITH MAGNIFIER 5X RIGHT SIDE

. LargeLeft.JPG View attachment 790613 k

LARGE MAGNIFIED 10X SMALL MAGNIFIED 10X

l LargeMag.JPG Small10x.PNG
j

SMALL TOP MAGNIFIED FOR COLOR FROM DARK TO LIGHT SMALL BOTTOM RIGHT SIDE SMALL DIFFERENT LIGHTING

SmallTop.JPG SmallLeftSide.JPG SmallRightSide.JPG CoinComparison.jpeg

Attachments

• LargeLeft.JPG
    LargeLeft.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 5

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would seek out an independent jewelry appraiser and have an appraisal done. That way you will learn all there is to know about these pieces. It costs around $60.

S L D

Rough_Rock
I would seek out an independent jewelry appraiser and have an appraisal done. That way you will learn all there is to know about these pieces. It costs around $60.

Thank you, I thought about that too. I may have to ship it to someone since my choices are limited here on the island. That was going to be my next step, especially if someone else on here thought It potentially could be valuable also. :) I appreciate your feedback.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Without seeing them in person, I would say these are definitely late Victorian, probably from the 1880s. This would originally have been a set of earrings with a pendant/brooch, but one earring is missing and the other is missing its top part with the ear hook--you can see traces of solder from an old repair that re-broke. The brooch/pendant probably has a replaced clasp. The settings are probably solid gold, though they may be gold filled (brass with gold plating). If they're solid gold, it's possible that they're made of somewhat lower karat gold with higher karat gold plated over them; this could account for the different colors of gold that you're seeing. Or it might just be tarnish, or the parts might be of slightly different gold alloys. I can't tell for sure what material the cameos are carved from without handling them in person, but it's probably agate ("hardstone") because they're thick and not curved as shell probably would be, and because you say they feel and sound hard when you tap them against your tooth. Another possibility is glass, but I don't really think so because the orange part appears to have tool marks from carving, and because the settings appear to be high quality. Look carefully through a loupe for bubbles or swirls, which would suggest glass. If you look at the back of the larger cameo, the brooch, the oval ring might pull off. If so, it probably once held (or could have held) a lock of hair or similar memento under glass. It's a very nice (partial) set. If you use the search terms etruscan revival gold hardstone cameo, you'll find similar sets with a pendant or brooch and a pair of earrings. Hope this helps!

S L D

Rough_Rock
UPDATE----
I CANT BELIEVE t!!! I FOUND THE THIRD PIECE. I have attached pictures of it! It was in my daughters bin of LOL dolls. I 'm so shocked!! The kids made a mess in the playroom and i helped them clean up tonight I found it as soon as "Daisy and Diamonds" above was writing "check the toy box"!! So funny. :lol-2: It's actually a brooch pin. I thought it would be an earring.

IMG_6552 (1).JPG
Bigger picture below.

Glitterata, Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me. I'm so grateful!! I wanted to tell you a little more info; The tone/sound I hear when I go back and forth ( front teeth) presents as a deep, thick and like a solid piece. I'ts not a normal tapping sound that you would hear on glass or ceramic. I can see some carving marks also, no bubbles visible to me. All that makes me really think it's a stone. I also relive it's a low gold karat
.I don't have areal jewelers loop. I have an app on iPhone that goes to 5x and 10x with a light. It works really well, but maybe a jewelers magnifier could be stronger...I'm not sure.
Wow -It could be in the 1880's!! The history on these pieces make me want to know everything, and know all about it. I felt that it it was an old old piece by the way it looks and feels. I did a ton of research on brooches but I have never heard of "Etruscan revival "! I will look that up when i'm done with this post. Thank you so so much for the info! Here's more pics of the runaway brooch ;-)

~Sherri

IMG_6552 (1).JPG IMG_6542 (1).JPG IMG_6546.JPG IMG_6544.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6546.JPG
    IMG_6546.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6542.JPG
    IMG_6542.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6546.JPG
    IMG_6546.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 9

S L D

Rough_Rock
Without seeing them in person, I would say these are definitely late Victorian, probably from the 1880s. This would originally have been a set of earrings with a pendant/brooch, but one earring is missing and the other is missing its top part with the ear hook--you can see traces of solder from an old repair that re-broke. The brooch/pendant probably has a replaced clasp. The settings are probably solid gold, though they may be gold filled (brass with gold plating). If they're solid gold, it's possible that they're made of somewhat lower karat gold with higher karat gold plated over them; this could account for the different colors of gold that you're seeing. Or it might just be tarnish, or the parts might be of slightly different gold alloys. I can't tell for sure what material the cameos are carved from without handling them in person, but it's probably agate ("hardstone") because they're thick and not curved as shell probably would be, and because you say they feel and sound hard when you tap them against your tooth. Another possibility is glass, but I don't really think so because the orange part appears to have tool marks from carving, and because the settings appear to be high quality. Look carefully through a loupe for bubbles or swirls, which would suggest glass. If you look at the back of the larger cameo, the brooch, the oval ring might pull off. If so, it probably once held (or could have held) a lock of hair or similar memento under glass. It's a very nice (partial) set. If you use the search terms etruscan revival gold hardstone cameo, you'll find similar sets with a pendant or brooch and a pair of earrings. Hope this helps!

Hi~ I'm not sure if you get notified when I leave a new post at the bottom, but I did and I found the other brooch last night. CANT BELIEVE I DID!! My Daughters toy box ! It's a pin with same brooch, so I wonder if the other one was the same thing. I wrote you a message in there too. Check it out with pictures.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if you get notified when I post a reply in the forum...but you have to go read it....too funny :lol-2:

Im so excitted for you :appl: :appl: :appl:
the dollies were keeping it safe all along

it really is a lovelly set
if it were mine and there is only ever going to be one earing id get it converted into a pendent
I have a small cameo on a long silver chain and its surprisingly wearable

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on finding the missing piece! The two smaller ones were once a pair of earrings--see how they're facing each other? They would be left and right earrings. The long stickpin was added later. If this set were mine, I would have a jeweler convert them back into earrings and wear them with the bigger one as a brooch or a pendant, the way the set was originally meant to be worn. But only if you have pierced ears! Screw-ons and clip-ons are too easy to lose.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on finding the missing piece! The two smaller ones were once a pair of earrings--see how they're facing each other? They would be left and right earrings. The long stickpin was added later. If this set were mine, I would have a jeweler convert them back into earrings and wear them with the bigger one as a brooch or a pendant, the way the set was originally meant to be worn. But only if you have pierced ears! Screw-ons and clip-ons are too easy to lose.

Good spotting
i generally have no idea what im looking at

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results