shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help need to make a color decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Please help, need to make a decision fast. I''m deciding between a G 1.39 carat diamond or an I 1.52 carat diamond. I know that a 1.39 is very close in size to a 1.52 but there is a visible difference. The 1.39 is 7.24 diameter & the 1.52 is 7.50 diameter. Should I go down in color for the larger I stone or would that be a mistake? I know that color is a personal thing but has anyone had to make a decision such as this? Size or color? Help!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Rosy, what kind of cut are these? Not ideal? I know that you didn''t like the silvery color of your Tiffany''s ideal stone.

If they are not ideal, I''d go with the "G." The "I" may show more body color than you like. I have an ideal G and an ideal I and while they are both beautiful, I can see a difference in color. The G NEVER looks tinted at all to me.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
does the "I" have any flourescence? I would consider an "I" if it had good flourescence and many people on here vouch for "I" stones facing up white if ideal cut. Have you seen them both in person or are you making the choice of the internet? that is a tough call, i would have to make the decision by seeing both in person to see if one "called" out to me :)

normally my preference would be the G unless it was a really white looking I.

also can i ask why it seems like such a large diameter increase for a small amount more of weight... i noticed the same thing when i bought my 1.39, i kept thinking the diameter difference would be smaller between that and a 1.5... not sure how noticeable that diameter difference really is in person. Rosy it sounds like you are saying the 1.5 is very visibly larger? does it look a lot larger? does the G look a lot whiter? Maybe it is time for me to trade my 1.39 in! haha

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i vote pick the best cut stone ....

melloyello

Rough_Rock
I had the same problem, a 1.27 F VS1 or a comparably priced 1.5 G SI1. I chose to go with the larger stone simply because I do not believe the difference from F to G outweighs the ct weight difference. As for the clarity I decided as long as the SI1 is eye clean then having a VS1 and a SI1 is one in the same unless you carry around a microscope...

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 10:28:37 PM
Author: Patty
Rosy, what kind of cut are these? Not ideal? I know that you didn''t like the silvery color of your Tiffany''s ideal stone.

If they are not ideal, I''d go with the ''G.'' The ''I'' may show more body color than you like. I have an ideal G and an ideal I and while they are both beautiful, I can see a difference in color. The G NEVER looks tinted at all to me.
They are both ideal. The 1.39 G rates a 1.7 on the HCA & the 1.52 I rates a 1.4 on the HCA.

Regarding my Tiffany ideal stone, it rated a .9 on the HCA & had the dark up close due to shallowness & bright from far away that Gary Holloway talks about in the tutorial. I think that was what I was seeing that made it so dark & unappealing to me. I am only looking at stones that rate around a 1.4-2 on the HCA from now on.

How large is your I stone? Do people comment on the color or the size or neither?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 10:34:31 PM
Author: DiamondsRagirlsbestfriend
Hi, Rosy:

Do you have any other specs, like the clarity?
They are both VS1. I know I should look for an eye clean SI1 for the most bang for the buck but I don''t mind paying a little more for a cleaner stone, that''s just me.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 10:35:36 PM
Author: TL1
does the ''I'' have any flourescence? I would consider an ''I'' if it had good flourescence and many people on here vouch for ''I'' stones facing up white if ideal cut. Have you seen them both in person or are you making the choice of the internet? that is a tough call, i would have to make the decision by seeing both in person to see if one ''called'' out to me :)

normally my preference would be the G unless it was a really white looking I.

also can i ask why it seems like such a large diameter increase for a small amount more of weight... i noticed the same thing when i bought my 1.39, i kept thinking the diameter difference would be smaller between that and a 1.5... not sure how noticeable that diameter difference really is in person. Rosy it sounds like you are saying the 1.5 is very visibly larger? does it look a lot larger? does the G look a lot whiter? Maybe it is time for me to trade my 1.39 in! haha
No the I does not have any flourescence. I have not seen the stones & am making my decision basd on the specs.
The difference is noticeable in the two sizes. The 1.52 is wider by .20, enough to have a visible difference. It''s also a little taller. I had a previous diamond before at 1.38 & some people thought it was a 1.25 & other people thought it was a 1.50. It just really depends on each persons perceptions of size.
I''m always pro-trade up!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/29/2004 12:44
6.gif
2 AM
Author: melloyello
I had the same problem, a 1.27 F VS1 or a comparably priced 1.5 G SI1. I chose to go with the larger stone simply because I do not believe the difference from F to G outweighs the ct weight difference. As for the clarity I decided as long as the SI1 is eye clean then having a VS1 and a SI1 is one in the same unless you carry around a microscope...
Doesn''t sound like yours was really a problem. Most people would be happy with an F or a G. Going from G to I is another story. I''m glad you got the 1.50 G, I''m sure its super!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2004 3:17:59 AM
Author: rosy

Doesn''t sound like yours was really a problem. Most people would be happy with an F or a G. Going from G to I is another story. I''m glad you got the 1.50 G, I''m sure its super!
How does the trade off between G-VS1 and G-SI1 sound ? I a not so sure you will find that I grade unpleasant, but there is just one way to know, and that can''t be reading about it but seeing some "I"-s in person. If a so-so cut I does it for you (and a sample like that should be available at some jewelery shop nerby, I hope), than a better cut will look even better.
2.gif

Just IMO, of course.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I noticed that an H color from the side had a tint of warmth. I guess an I color would have even more of a tint. I would like a diamond without a tint but think I could live with it for a larger size. I''m wondering how much of the color is really in my head, psychological? Am I looking for the tint in the diamond since I know it''s there?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Rosy, this is a hard one to decide. I would probably opt for the I color because size is an issue for me. Given that the stones are ideal cut, I would think the I will be lovely. Then again, G is always a reasonably safe bet as far as not noticing color tint from a side view after the stone is set. Okay, I''m waffling, but I would probably vote I in the end.
20.gif

DiamondLil

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone. I''ve decided to have the vendor bring in both stones so I can compare them side by side. If I get lucky & the I is a very white I that''s the one I''ll choose.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2004 5
6.gif
9:29 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I''ve decided to have the vendor bring in both stones so I can compare them side by side. If I get lucky & the I is a very white I that''s the one I''ll choose.
Smart move, Rosie. No one has commented that my I looks more yellow than my G. The I is .95 and the G is 1.35. I noticed more color in the I before it was set. Now that it is set, it''s just "warmer" than the G. Plus, I had my I put in yellow gold while the G is in white gold with sapphires on the side, so it''s very white looking.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It''s really going to depend on the diamonds. Some I/J/K color diamonds seem to show more body color than others.

I traded a 0.75 carat H for a 1.25 carat J. I was a bit uncomfortable with the idea at first, but Brian Gavin at White Flash assured me I wouldn''t see much, if any color difference in the 2. We were chatting on the phone and Brian had both diamonds side by side in front of him while we talked. I had the 1.25 carat J set in Plat and was very pleased with the result. Brian was exactly right. I didn''t see any colot difference between the H and the J, but the size difference was quite obvious.
9.gif

It''s really going to depend on the particular I color diamond being considered and your own personal color sensitivity level.
1.gif

Also, as Patty mentioned, your choice of metal color for the mount could factor in as well. Any way you might be able to see both diamonds side by side, in person to decide?????
20.gif

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I am planning to mount the I stone in a platinum setting, do you think this will be a problem?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2004 4:48:19 AM
I am planning to mount the I stone in a platinum setting, do you think this will be a problem?
Since it doesn''t work to show these color grades online, this is more of a popularity test for I than anything, I think.

I''ve heard both that mounting in white metal makes diamonds look whiter (because the metal color reflects throughout) and that it makes them look more tinted (by contrast). Perhaps both are right depending on stone, mounting and who''se talking...

It seems that either diamond would be quite cherry, not hard to choose between them - you can hardly go wrong.
5.gif

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Oh pooh, I just found out from the vendor that the G diamond has been sold. I''m bummed out. Now I''ll have to look for another stone. The vendor said they would call in two stones for me to look at & that is what I prefer.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
yeah, I like to compare. The more you look at, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results