shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me to find a pair of saltwater pearl earrings

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: Hi all, I have been visiting PS for many years but am new to the pearl forum. Naturally this is the place I visit when I need expert help on gem stones.

I have decided to treat myself with a nice pair of earrings using this little award money I got at work. I narrow the list down to white saltwater since I have a pair of Tahiti pearls already (and love it). That translates to Akoya or South Sea.

When it comes to pearl quality, I learned that there is no strict pearl grading system as in the diamond industry. Vendors pretty much come up with their own grading standards that are somewhat comparable (true?) I like the idea of the Hanadama certificate, but wonder if that’s something worth the extra premium?

Then it comes to vendor choices. I found the following vendors recommended on a few forums, but wonder if any one of them stands out as the best source to go, or they are pretty much the same? :?:

• Laguna Pearl & Pearl Source, (I called both and learned Laguna bought PS). Inventory and pricing seems reasonable.
    • American Pearl, nice web page but pictures are too bright to judge true quality
    • Pearl Paradise, price seems the highest among the list.

Please help me to narrow down the vendor and pearl type. Thanks very much!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Please help me to find a pair of saltwater pearl earring

I hope the pearls are at least 9mm, high lustre. And these are the styles I like:

journey.jpg

michelle.jpg

_12865.jpg

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade

If you prefer bright metallic luster and 9-9.5mm size, then Akoya will suit you, but that is about as large as Akoya pearls can grow. If you want larger, say 11-14mm or so, then that is South Sea size, and the pearls will be beautiful, but most likely with softer luster.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

I would definitely say Pearl Paradise and not American Pearl!
PP has fabulous customer service and excellent quality. You really get what you pay for.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

SMC

Ideal_Rock

If you decide to go the Akoya route, I'd think Hanadama will be worth it if you're planning on wearing them frequently. They are guaranteed to have a minimum nacre thickness of at least 0.4mm.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

I purchase most of my pearls from Pearl Paradise so they have my vote too. The middle pair you have shown are the Romantic (14k) or Romance (18k) settings at PP. I almost had my wSS pearls set by PP with the first setting you showed. Those findings can be special ordered for you.

These are the earring setting PP ended up special ordering for me. Pearls are 13mm wSS baroques and the bishop hook findings are 14k with diamonds.
finished_wss_dangles.jpg

I have natural white hanadama studs and they are stunning! Definitely worth the extra $ and the nacre on mine are very thick.

If you do decide to go with PP, with how busy they are right now I would give them a call or use the chat function instead of email. Have fun choosing your new earrings and please let us know what you end up with.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I guess a person could burn up their cc and order the exact grade and size from all the vendors and look at the quality for yourself. You usually get what you pay for. I've seen hanadama pearls from PP and AP. There is a BIG difference in quality between them.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

As Pattye has pointed out..the size of the pearls that you want will determine to some degree which way to go.

I don't think you would go wrong with the PP Freshadamas ... just send them an email and tell them what you want and the type of setting you want and I'm sure they will come back with some pearl photos and a quote.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks everyone for your help!

I have now narrowed down PP to be the place to shop - that really made things much easier!

After a little more learning, I think the Akoya may not work for now - smaller size with higher price =)

The pictures on this forum convinced me to give the Freshadama a try. I ordered a pair of Romantic Collection White Freshadama in 10 - 10.5mm size, and also thrown in a pair of studs in metallic Lavender. They will be delivered on Monday. And I will definitely come back to report.

Thanks again, everyone!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

4Ranch Girl, I found your thread even before I started this one :D You have such a breathtaking collection!

4Ranch Girl|1387585921|3578416 said:
I buy most of my pearls from Pearl Paradise so they have my vote. You can see on my thread pearls over the years I have got from them on this thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thought-i-would-share.154025/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thought-i-would-share.154025/[/URL]

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

LitGeek, thanks for sharing your beautiful pair. Do you have a thread where can I can see more pictures of your collection? I will never be tired of looking at the pictures. ::)

LitGeek|1387628385|3578636 said:
I purchase most of my pearls from Pearl Paradise so they have my vote too. The middle pair you have shown are the Romantic (14k) or Romance (18k) settings at PP. I almost had my wSS pearls set by PP with the first setting you showed. Those findings can be special ordered for you.

These are the earring setting PP ended up special ordering for me. Pearls are 13mm wSS baroques and the bishop hook findings are 14k with diamonds.
finished_wss_dangles.jpg

I have natural white hanadama studs and they are stunning! Definitely worth the extra $ and the nacre on mine are very thick.

If you do decide to go with PP, with how busy they are right now I would give them a call or use the chat function instead of email. Have fun choosing your new earrings and please let us know what you end up with.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

yingh|1387689066|3578963 said:
4Ranch Girl, I found your thread even before I started this one :D You have such a breathtaking collection!

4Ranch Girl|1387585921|3578416 said:
I buy most of my pearls from Pearl Paradise so they have my vote. You can see on my thread pearls over the years I have got from them on this thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thought-i-would-share.154025/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thought-i-would-share.154025/[/URL]
Thank you. I really did not have any intention to amassing such a large collection but it seems to have evolved that way. I just like to wear pearls.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry, but I do not have a thread link 4RG's...there is definitely plenty of eye candy and inspiration to be found on her thread :love:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sure you'll love the romantic earring findings. They're well made and built to last. The diamond is good quality and large enough to be seen. Please give a review when you get them.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

yingh|1387688941|3578961 said:
The pictures on this forum convinced me to give the Freshadama a try. I ordered a pair of Romantic Collection White Freshadama in 10 - 10.5mm size, and also thrown in a pair of studs in metallic Lavender.

Great choices and I am sure you will love both! The freshadama pearls are SO beautiful and paired with the romantic setting they will be gorgeous :love: Please post photos :geek:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results