shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pic from these diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Matt_B

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am new here but I have been lurking and reading for about a week. I am ready to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend but I have a few questions. I am looking for a stone that is at least .75 to at max 1.0ct. My girlfriend wears a size 5.5 ring and she is very petite so I do not want the stone to be too huge on her finger(would .75 look too small?). The setting is going to be a 2.7mm tiffany style 6 prong platinum setting. I want to get her a hearts and arrows round cut with good color and clarity. I have been searching for the past 3 months online on bluenile and others but I found this site and was able to find a few new vendors to search from. I was looking at whiteflash''s website and I found these 3 diamonds that I am considering purchasing:

AGS-5506505 AGS-5506701 AGS-5506708
Shape A Cut Above H&A A Cut Above H&A A Cut Above H&A
Carat 0.756 0.766 0.802
Color E G H
Clarity SI1 VS2 VS1
Measurements 5.91-5.93X3.60 5.94-5.96X3.62 6.02-6.05X3.67
Table % 56 57 56
Depth % 60.9 60.8 60.8
Polish Ideal Ideal Ideal
Symmetry Ideal Ideal Ideal
Girdle 0.8%-1.6% FACETED 0.7%-1.3%FACETED 1.2%-1.7%FACETED
Culet Pointed Pointed Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible Negligible Negligible
Certificate AGS AGS AGS
Sarin Report View Report View Report
IdealScope Report View Report View Report View Report
Price $3,780.00 $3,625.00 $3,680.00

Score 1.4 1.8 1.7

They are all around the same price and look similar to me in the pictures. The main difference is see is the H color .802 carat looks to be a little yellow but I can''t tell if it is just the light (I don''t want the stone to look yellow in the platnum setting). I am not sure about the SI1 clarity of the .756 carat stone and if it is too low on the clarity scale. I do like the size of the .802 being over 6mm in diameter. I am undecided and would like some advice on my purchase. Please give me your advice/opinions on these diamonds and guide me in my purchase.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Generally, without the crown/pav. angles, it is tough to tell, but since these are ACA diamonds, I will assume they are all top of the line performers.

I bought my g/f the exact same diamond size range and she is a 5.5. You''ll be fine there, especially when she sees how beautiful the stone will be!!!

I personally would go for the .76 G VS2. That seems to be a good middle ground with these particular diamonds. G is an excellent color and ususally represents a good value just out side of the colorless range of D-F. VS2 will pretty much allow you to not worry about noticable inclusions. As far as the carat weight, if you look at the dimensions of the three, there is approx 1/10 of a millimeter difference in diameter between the smallest and the largest. That would be almost impossible to notice, unless you compare very closely. Take a look at a ruler one time to see what a millimeter is, and then imagine dividing that into ten equal portions. It would be imposible to vision!!! Plus, if you compare it to an average cut diamond, your diamond will look bigger next to one of a similar carat weight due to the ideal cut.

Good luck with your decision. I would go with the middle ground of those three diamonds (plus it is the cheapest)!

Matt_B

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply Wonka27! I just borrowed an engineering caliper and looked at the difference in sizes between the stones and you are right, I probably would not be able to tell the difference between them. So size is tossed out of the equation on my decision between these three. I am leaning towards to .766 as well although it does have the highest holloway score score.

Oh the angles of the stones are as follows:

AGS-5506505 AGS-5506701 AGS-5506708
.756 .766 .802
Crown Angle 35 34.9 34.9
Pav angle 40.8 40.9 40.9
holloway score 1.4 1.8 1.7

Please keep the replies coming. I want to make a decision as I have been doing research for so long I am tires of looking...lol

Thanks again,

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Remember the halloway score is a general tool to weed out bad performers or find stones that are excellent performers. The fact that you are looking at Whiteflash ACA diamonds should tell you that no matter what you purchase, you will have an awesome looking diamond!!!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2004 8:18
6.gif
8 AM
Author:Matt_B
My girlfriend wears a size 5.5 ring and she is very petite so I do not want the stone to be too huge on her finger(would .75 look too small?)

Don''t worry about a ring about 1carat being too huge on a size 5.5 finger. It is not.

Matt_B

Rough_Rock
ttt....looks like the .802 is sold....anymore opinions? I will be making a decision today.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
between E/SI1 and G/VS2, I do not think there is enough visual difference between color and clarity to have any visual impact. There is still the question about what exactly are the inclusions in the SI1, but otherwise all that can tell these two apart is how you feel about them, IMO
2.gif

Matt_B

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the replies! I was alos looking online at Niceice and found this diamond:
.85 carat

carat 0.85
clarity VS-1
color G
flour N
sym EX
polish EX
proportions ID
grading GIA
credit card $4,390.00
wire $4,245.00
depth 61.1
table 56
crown angle 34.7
crown % 15.0
pav anlge 40.8
pav % 43.0
girdle N-M-F
Flour N
dimensions 6.12 - 6.16 x 3.75

This one scores a a 1.3 on the holloway scale.

Now would there be a noticable size difference between the .766 carat and the .85 given the dimensions above? Mainly I am worried about how the diamond will look on a tiffany 6 prong setting. Is the price difference from $3452 cash price for the whiteflash and $4245 (~$800) worth it in terms of size and dimensions? This is a big price jump but the dimesions look good. I just don''t want the ring to look to small or too big on the setting but I also do not want to brake the bank. Should I go with the whiteflash .766 over the .85 niceice? Any more opinions? I am really torn and just need some advice on how the different sizes will look in the 6 prong solitare setting. Please help
32.gif

Thanks in advance,

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
ALl of the stones you are looking at are pretty sure to be stunning. WF's ACAs and NiceIce's inventory are known for being beautiful stones. The NiceIce stone would probably be visibly larger side by side. On their own, the difference will be less noticable. I would ask Brian the cutter at WF to look at the two stones and give you his opinion of the overall preformance, the inclusions, etc. to narrow it dow between those two. Then only you can decide if you want to spend the extra money on the larger stone. $800 isn't a lot of $$ in the long run. I believe it trying to get it right the first time, even if it costs a little more. However, %-wise, it is a big difference for these stones, and getting engaged is just the beginning of a lot of expenses to come...

Matt_B

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I went ahead and purchased the .766 carat H&A from whiteflash today in the tiffany 6 prong setting. I can''t wait to see what it looks like. I''ll be sure to update after I receive it.

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results