shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me Identify...Paraiba Tourmaline?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought this today from a vendor at a local show. She said it was tourmaline....The second I saw it I thought Paraiba Tourmaline and snagged it.
I RI'd it and it is in line with PT....but I want second oppinions sence I am not an expert at all with identifying them. The RI is 1.628.
It doesnt look like a topaz (that is my 2nd thought), as it is more neon greenishblue then sky blue.

It is about .3 cts (I dont have a scale, just an estimate). It is about an SI1-SI2 stone.

What do you think? It has a hint more blue/green IRL then in the picture.

paraibaKS0019.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another pic

PTKSS00099.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I really like it, very cool color, but I don''t know anything about tourmalines.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The RI is correct for Tourmaline but it doesn''t really have the neon quality of a Paraiba Tourmaline (and also, unless you know the chemical makeup of the gemstone then you wouldn''t be able to call it "Paraiba" anyway).

It actually looks like an Apatite to me but that would have an RI of 1.642.

It''s so small that I wouldn''t worry what it was but just enjoy it as it''s very pretty.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It has more neon blue/green look in person. I hate how cameras always leave out the most important parts LOL. I am holding it up to the screen now and it is an obvious difference. Thats what made me spot it. I also got a deeper blue tourmaline (.5ct), a Chrome Diopside (.5ct), and a couple citrines (1-3cts) and paridots (.5-2cts) while there.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My Blue and pink tourmalines I bought today, and my Chrome Diopside.

tourmKS888.JPG

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Can''t help with the Paraiba question, but it sure is pretty!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2009 12:29:03 PM
Author:Tropicgal10
I RI'd it
how do you do that?
did you buy an equipment to do that?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup. Bought a used refractometer for 55$. Makes it a hell of alot easier when you buy a stone and want to know what it is (or if it is what the seller says it is).I bought it to check my tanzanites.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don''t rely on RI alone Tropic. I''m sure you don''t but it''s a very small part in a large equation!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From just the photos, it looks like it may be a nice Nambian tourmaline. They seem to have a nice "glowy" color similar to paraibas but without the electric, radioactive-like intensity. But that''s just based on photos. You can get it checked for chemical composition if you''re really curious though.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont, but it gives me a decent idea. If its blue/purple, RI 1.69 and doubly refractive I have a pretty good idea its tanzanite.

The ones that mess me up are the RI numbers that could be a few different types of stones. Then I gotta dig out the gemology ID book and compare other things to get an idea of what they are, like the BF of the stone, inclusions, colors, ect.. My next purchase will be a chelsea filter so I can use that with the refractometer.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I don't think its original Brazilian Paraiba, but it might be Nigerian or Mozambique "Paraiba type" copper bearing tourmaline. It has the look. I would guess Mozambique over Nigerian from the look of it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Nice, especially the lighter blue one!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty little tourmaline!
36.gif
I like the darker blue one as well.
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice purchases! Enjoy them whatever they turn out to be!!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results