shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose paribas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

I have decided to buy a pretty pariba tourmaline (just for fun, probably not to set) but I really want a "neon glowy" one. I have narrowed it down to 2 different ones.

Firstly this one here.

Main thing is I want it to be REAL and UNTREATED! I realise many ebay stones are fake so that why I''m asking for your opinion! Remember this is just for fun to hold and admire it''s glow.
31.gif

I don''t mind if it''s got inclusions, all the better to show it''s genuine.

neon1.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 11:04:47 PM
Author:HotPozzum
Hello all,

I have decided to buy a pretty pariba tourmaline (just for fun, probably not to set) but I really want a ''neon glowy'' one. I have narrowed it down to 2 different ones.

Firstly this one here.

Main thing is I want it to be REAL and UNTREATED! I realise many ebay stones are fake so that why I''m asking for your opinion! Remember this is just for fun to hold and admire it''s glow.
31.gif

I don''t mind if it''s got inclusions, all the better to show it''s genuine.

I believe that is an apatite and not a paraiba tourmaline.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I assume you''re posting another stone. This first stone says it is an apatite. (not a tourmaline) It is "paraiba colored" not a paraiba tourmaline.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second one''s here.

I am totally new to this so not really sure about this type of stone, naming etc...

neon22.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So whats apatite? Difference?
33.gif
Is this a good thing or bad?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 11:12:53 PM
Author: HotPozzum
33.gif
Apatite is a much less expensive stone, which is a good thing if you just want a pretty stone to look at. A pariba tourmaline would set you back so many $$$ that RW Wise says about the 0.88 ct stone on his site (www.rwwise.com ):

"Want to know the price? Take a deep breath and call 800.773.0249. 7.6x5.3mm"

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooohhh I see. Tourmaline = $$$ Apatite = $.

Great, well obviously I will just have to be content with a pretty Apaptite then. Thanks for all your help. Think I''ll get option #1.

\
35.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 11:30:59 PM
Oooohhh I see. Tourmaline = $$$ Apatite = $.

Great, well obviously I will just have to be content with a pretty Apaptite then. Thanks for all your help. Think I''ll get option #1.

35.gif
You are welcome. Sounds like you have a good plan there.
2.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Just know that it''s a pretty soft stone.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 11:25:39 PM
Author: Fly Girl

33.gif
Apatite is a much less expensive stone, which is a good thing if you just want a pretty stone to look at. A pariba tourmaline would set you back so many $$$ that RW Wise says about the 0.88 ct stone on his site (www.rwwise.com ):

''Want to know the price? Take a deep breath and call 800.773.0249. 7.6x5.3mm''
When I was on the phone with Richard, I did ask him about the price of that stone. It''s $16,000!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 11:44:33 PM
Author: Cind11

33.gif

When I was on the phone with Richard, I did ask him about the price of that stone. It''s $16,000!
So, the price of a small car for a stone under 1 ct. Thanks for saving me the call.
9.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 11:47:36 PM

33.gif

So, the price of a small car for a stone under 1 ct. Thanks for saving me the call.
9.gif
Ha Ha. You''re welcome.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apatite is a soft stone. It would be hard to find someone skilled enough to set it, and if you did, you shouldn''t wear it often.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 12:26:25 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Apatite is a soft stone. It would be hard to find someone skilled enough to set it, and if you did, you shouldn''t wear it often.

Soft but sooooo pretty. Reminds me of the mediterranean... If you''re looking for something fun to stare at and you''re not planning on wearing it in a ring, then by all means get yourself a nice apatite! Just be sure that you don''t pay paraiba prices for it!

Now that paraiba tourmaline is back on the scene as a highly collectable and expensive gemstone, I''ve noticed that some vendors will attach "paraiba" to any blue-green gemstone... even some not-so blue-green stones. Not that they''d knowingly try to mislead us or anything....
38.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
HotPozzum- If as you''ve said you probably don''t want to set it then the softeness of Apatite shouldn''t be much of a problem

Hmmmm- I''ll take the 8.14 Purple Cuprian Tourmaline instead thanks
41.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, been on the hunt again and found this one.

Cannot post the pic on this computer but it says it''s actually Paraiba Tourmaline not Apatite. What do you think? Too good too be true or just buy for fun?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is that the latest one you posted doesn’t give the neon glow like a Paraiba tourmaline should. For $10, I doubt it is a copper bearing tourmaline with the neon glow, and more likely to be a regular blue green tourmaline with a very large window which the vendor is trying to hide using angled photography. As mentioned above by the many experienced posters above:
Paraiba with glow = $$$$$
Blue green tourmaline = $$
Apatite = $

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 7:50:17 AM
Author: Chrono
The problem is that the latest one you posted doesn’t give the neon glow like a Paraiba tourmaline should. For $10, I doubt it is a copper bearing tourmaline with the neon glow, and more likely to be a regular blue green tourmaline with a very large window which the vendor is trying to hide using angled photography. As mentioned above by the many experienced posters above:
Apatite = $
I think the $ amounts above need changing to this:

Paraiba with glow = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
Blue green tourmaline = $$$$
Apatite = $

Please don''t buy gemstones from Ebay unless you''re really not bothered if you get a different gemstone, treated in some way etc etc. In your first post you said you wanted untreated/unheated but Ebay really isn''t the place to find such things. Don''t get me wrong, you can make some great finds but they are few and far between.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 1:51:18 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 8/7/2009 7:50:17 AM
Author: Chrono
Apatite = $
I think the $ amounts above need changing to this:

Paraiba with glow = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
Blue green tourmaline = $$$$
Apatite = $

Please don''t buy gemstones from Ebay unless you''re really not bothered if you get a different gemstone, treated in some way etc etc. In your first post you said you wanted untreated/unheated but Ebay really isn''t the place to find such things. Don''t get me wrong, you can make some great finds but they are few and far between.
You can find stuff on ebay if you know what you''re doing. And I daresay, many of the CS folks (including myself) don''t know enough about what we are doing to really get a good CS stone find on ebay.

As the others said, you won''t be finding a real paraiba tourmaline with a neon glow for a cheap price that you can have just for fun. But I do like the colors of the apatite!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, you guys forgot a few more for comparison. Adding other gems and pricepoints I think helps put this into perspective for the OP.

Fancy vivd blue, purplish red, or green diamond above a carat= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (100K/ct or more)
Brazilian Pariaba with top neon glow = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (20K to 50K/ct)
Mozambique Paraiba with top neon glow for that locality=$$$$$$$$$$ (up to 10K/ct)
A one to two carat white diamond = $$$$$$$$ (3K to 10K/ct)
Double open axis Blue green tourmaline = $$$$ (500 to 1000 per carat)
Apatite=$$ (they're starting to get a bit up there in price for large and clean specimens in that turquoise color). ($200/ct)

I'm just taking these prices from my head and what I've heard for these types of gems

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, you ladies got me for accuracy of the $ signs.
3.gif
A true unheated/untreated top Brazilian Paraiba with top neon glow is easily $20,000/ct to $50,000/ct depending on the size and clarity. Somehow, I doubt we’ll be seeing any untreated neon cuprians on eBay. Well….at least for under $10K/ct.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results