shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose between two diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
The first is Oval Brilliant
Measurements 9.36 by 6.33 by 3.73
Weight is 1.42

Proportions
Depth 58.9%
Table 55%
Girdle Very thin to medium faceted
Culet None

Finish
Polish Good
Symmetry Good

Clarity Grade VS2
Color F
Flourescence None

The second is oval Brilliant
Measurements 8.65 by 5.07 by 3.69 mm
Weight is 1.35
Color grade F
Clarity grade VS2

Proportions
Depth 64.1 %
table 55%
girdle medium to thick faceted
culet none

Finish
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Flourescence medium blue

The 1.42 carat is 1900 more than the 1.35. What are your opinions? I really appreciate the help. I am going to decide by tommorrow.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
I am putting this on a Michael Beaudry setting. I am just trying to find the right diamond. My Jewler said I should work for the GIA. But anyways I really appreciate your help!

Caratcutter

Rough_Rock
The main thing with ovals and the "face up" look of the stone is: does it show a bowtie effect through the center of the diamond. If you look at the center of the stone does it have a "bow" across the center that looks like a bow tie. If it does it means that the Symmetry of the stone is not good, meaning that the cutting of the diamond is not proportionate to the length, width and depth of the stone.

If you find an oval without a bow tie, you will find a stone that is an ideal cut or near perfect cut and the price will be higher for that stone.

The only way to know if your stone is proportionally cut is to have a certificate of grading either from the GIA or the EGL (the best two in the business, my opinion) This will allow you to see other percentages that are not listed on your post; i.e. crown angle percentage and pavillion angle percentage. These two will tell you more about the cut and if it is Ideal or Excellent Make.

Hope this helps.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
I have the GIA certificates infront of me but I do not see the crown angle percentages on them. My jeweler photocopied the certificates for me. I didnt notice the bow tie that you speak of. But I didnt really look for it either.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Does anyone else have any input on these? I really appreciate it

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I''m assuming you''ve seen both of these in person? Ovals--like most fancies-are hard to judge by numbers alone. You also wouldn''t see the "bowtie" on the certs--just in the stones.

An oval in a beaudry setting sounds YUMMY to me, so I hope the experts weigh in--or you can give us more info from your own visual impression!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take a good look tomorrow and see if you notice a bow tie in either of them. Specs from a cert will not tell you if there is a bow tie or not. For that you need to use your eyes. Also as others have noted with fancies we don't go by numbers alone. Trust your eyes at this point. The Beaudry setting sounds lovely. Please post a pic of it if you can. Good luck tomorrow.
1.gif

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Anything specific I should look for that makes the Bow tie.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
I asked my jeweler for the number that Carrat cutter said I should lookup. But she said the GIA does not put them in for fancy cuts?

Also she said the larger oval looks alot like a Cushion cut which is rare. Has anyone ever seen this?

HAHA, I still havent made up my mind!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
A bowtie is a dark section in the middle of the stone which is shaped like a bowtie, that''s why it''s called that. A GIA report will not have any numbers on it to tell you if the stone has a bowtie or not. Crown angle and pavilion angle aren''t shown on the GIA report for fancy cut diamonds. Your jewler should be able to tel you if there is a visible bowtie on either of these diamonds if you can''t look at them yourself.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
What about the idea of an oval looking like a Cushion cut? What do you think she meant by this?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2006 9:02:54 AM
Author: Mike Camp
What about the idea of an oval looking like a Cushion cut? What do you think she meant by this?

i''d guess she meant some cushions are longer lengh to width so they are more oval shapes rather than a squarish cushions. Here''s one from Goodoldgolds website that might give you the idea..

Rectangular%20Classic%20Cushion.jpg

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Well I ordered the ring with the 1.42 Oval. It should be ready by Vtines day. Though I am not gonna propose for Valentines day. Ill try and post some pictures up here when I get the ring. Thanks again for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results