shape
carat
color
clarity

please help! is this a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gvjt

Rough_Rock

hi, i''ve been searching for the right diamond for my girlfriend for months. i finally found one that i really like that fits my budget, but it was a little lower in terms of general quality than i originally wanted. it is a round brilliant diamond certified by GIA with the following specs:

measurements: 7.37 - 7.43 x 4.61 mm
weight: 1.54 cts
depth: 62.3%
table: 58%
girdle: thin to medium, faceted
culet: none
polish: very good
symmetry: very good
clarity grade: SI2
color grade: F
fluorescence: none

although i did not want to go lower than VS2/SI1, this SI2 diamond was COMPLETELY eye clean (to a few of us with discerning eyes) but when viewed with a loupe (and according to the GIA report), the inclusions (which are all white spots -- no carbon spots) are all around the outside and nearly all of them would be covered by the prongs when set. (actually even with the loupe, it''s difficult to see. i had to really look for it since i knew according to the report where they''d be). there is one small cloud in the center, but i had difficulty locating even with the loupe.

my jeweler has offered this diamond to me for $8750. i have contacted various jewelers and reviewed numerous websites and have not found anything closely similar for less than $9800.

is this worth it? normally i would not be interested in a premium cut diamond, but the table is only 1% off and the other criteria fits within the ideal cut range. in addition, the SI2 is a "very good SI2".

i know some people say that you should do your research and pick the best you can get but that ultimately it comes down to which you like best. my girlfriend and i really liked the 1.54 ct surprisingly b/c prior to that diamond, we were more selectivve with our search.

Please help!! I plan to purchase a diamond this week. I have narrowed my choices down to this other an ideal cut 1.34 ct diamond that was F/VS2/VG/VG with no flourescence, no culet and thin-medium girdle that my jeweler will offer for $9350. Can you tell me which you''d recommend and/or buy for yourself or your fiance?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you have found your diamond! And a great S12 also, these can be incredible deals which come with a big saving. You have just said the most important thing, which is that you and your GF love this diamond, that is all that matters! IMO the slightly bigger table shouldn't be a problem at all, the price looks about right, so if you both love it you should seriously consider purchasing it. As we keep saying numbers are important, but not as important as your eyes and the way that the diamond " speaks" to you. It is hard to say exactly out of the two I would pick without seeing more info on the 1.34, but I would think hands down the 1.54 would be the winner. If this stone is eyeclean and you love it, don't worry about going down a grade in clarity, you have managed to find eyeclean with the S12, so that is great and enjoy the saving! Also it should look very white being an F colour. It would help too if you could post the crown and pavillion angles too to give a complete picture of the diamond.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Have you read the tutorial here?

Realizing the options you've presented don't come with cut information to answer question about that "C," hard to say. Alternately, you might consider comparing the one you've got at an independent appraiser, by agreement with WF, with this one, and picking the one you prefer.

P.S. I just realized we live in the same community; go figure. Wish I could more readily recommend an appraiser in the area. If you consider my suggestion, WF can help direct you to an appraiser that they would accept, suggestions are made here, and also, I and most others in the area used Martin Fuller; unfortunately, I don't think either he or others in the area will be able to supply you with crown & pavilion angles for your GIA option. Though you could send these to an appraiser "away" that is better equipped, going to someone where you and your fiance could together see the options in consideration is really what you probably want to do.

Best wishes,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they are from the same place view them side by side and go with the one you like best.

gvjt

Rough_Rock
i forgot to mention that the 1.34 diamond is an ideal cut. i don''t have the crown and pavilion angle measurements readily availab.e.

we''ve viewed both side by side and we love the 1.54 one.

ira, i looked at the diamond you suggested, but it''s smaller than both of these diamonds. we definitely don''t want to go lower than 1.34 or so.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2005 11:14:04 AM
Author: gvjt

we''ve viewed both side by side and we love the 1.54 one.

Then get that diamond. When you find a diamond that speaks to you, that''s the one to get.
1.gif

Congratulations!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you know the answer then, the 1.54 is either the one, or needs serious consideration. The eyes are the most important thing when choosing a diamond, there is little point buying one with " perfect" numbers if it isn't beautiful to you, or you prefer one where the numbers aren't so good. The main point of cut is to release beauty, if you see beauty in a diamond then that is what matters and it is also a good thing that you and your GF love the same one! It is easy to second guess yourself with these purchases, we all do it and there is nothing wrong with trying to get the best you can for the money, but once you find one you love then that's basically it. That is the main point of studying cut quality is to get the result you have, to find a diamond which speaks to you both - sometimes it can take a long time as you have found. Also an S12 clarity is a very popular choice if it is clean, it sounds like a beautiful diamond - if you get it please post pictures! Good luck and I hope this helps.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
GVJT (and Storm, et al)

It sounds like between the 2 you've seen, you do prefer the larger one. My only comment on the ideal one is the basis upon which your dealer calls the one ideal. I understand many dealers are satisfied -- particularly because those crown & pavilion angles are frequently not readily available -- to call any diamond where both the table and depth fall between certain ranges: ideal, by definition. If you ask him, he may or may not tell you this, asking him why that other one is ideal. And, of course it may be. The only suggestion here is to use this opportunity of your shopping now to be able to compare your choices against what you can, in the best of cases, determine is an alternative that is really well cut. If you're convinced that other "ideal" option is that, you've done your due diligence.

And, in any case, as smarter guys than me frequently know and say, if you know you like it (they said that on Gray's Anatomy last night, too, didn't they?), then you're good to go.

Warmest wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results