shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Advice needed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jenjay

Rough_Rock
Just purchased this Hearts and Arrows diamond from DCD and want to make sure I am getting a good buy. Any feedback would be appriciated. Thanks.

Cash Price: $4,003
Shape: Signature Round
Laboratory: AGS
Carat Weight: .912
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Measurements: 6.20x6.24x3.85
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Girdle: 1.4-2.3
Fluorescence: None
Culet: Pointed
Crown Angle : 35.0°
Crown %: 15.4
Pavillion Angle : 41.0°
Pavillion %: 43.2
Lab Comments: None
J

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Hi Jenjay, and welcome to pricescope!

Congratulations on your diamond purchase. I remember when I finally pulled the trigger on mine it was a happy day.

1) Are you wanting an assessment of the cut and price or just the price?
2) Are you currently in an inspection period during which time you have the option to return the diamond?

The only reason I ask the second question is because it is important to consider how you feel about your purchase. If you think the diamond performs well in a variety of light conditions and you feel that you got a fair price, then I would say you got a great deal and there is no need to further assess the stone.

If you are within your window of inspection then by all means let it be known so you will get solid critiques of your selection.

Once I made my purchase I found that if I searched long enough I would always find lower priced options. Whether or not they were better options is a rather subjective thing as individuals who post on this board have differing preferences. A beautiful stone cannot be determined by numbers or price alone.

If you would like additional information regarding your stone and its probable performance by numbers you can search "35 crown angle" or "41 pavillion angle" and see a number of ideas regarding what the numbers represent.

This post should bump yours so that others will be more likely to see it.

jenjay

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for responding.

I can still return the diamond. I received it yesterday and am not happy with the setting so I am going to return it for a new setting. I think the diamond is stunning, just not as big as what I thought it would be. After I ordered it I did more research and it recieved a 2.3 rating on the HCA report. I think when AGS changes it grading system it will not be considered a hearts and arrows diamond. My budget is $4000. I am not a diamond expert and do not know if the cut is less than ideal if the diamond will still as pretty. I like the color of this diamond which is an I. Are there diamonds the are a 1 carat plus in this price range that are just as pretty??

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
It could still be considered a H&A if it shows the imagry under the correct scope - the H&A is the internal optical symmetry..

if AGS alters its cut grading it might not be a AGS 0 rating... but thats a different thing.

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/2/2005 9:45:38 AM
Author: jenjay
Thank you so much for responding.

I can still return the diamond. I received it yesterday and am not happy with the setting so I am going to return it for a new setting. I think the diamond is stunning, just not as big as what I thought it would be. After I ordered it I did more research and it recieved a 2.3 rating on the HCA report. I think when AGS changes it grading system it will not be considered a hearts and arrows diamond. My budget is $4000. I am not a diamond expert and do not know if the cut is less than ideal if the diamond will still as pretty. I like the color of this diamond which is an I. Are there diamonds the are a 1 carat plus in this price range that are just as pretty??

Jen,

1) With regard to the diamond not being as big as you would like it to be.....The important thing to note is that the depth of the diamond has a great deal to do with the visible size of the diamond. While I am not sure how much difference you would see, there are diamonds with depth percentages 1.5% less than the diamond you have in the market. While a number of other factors come into play, this could get you a small amount of additional head size without the carat weight associated increase in price.

2) With regard to the 2.3 score on the HCA.....The first thing to remember is that the HCA is a very reliable screening tool. It does not assure the performance of a diamond. The most important thing to note regarding a diamond is what your eyes tell you about the stone in various light conditions. HCA score will not make or break a diamond. If you do a search for "2.3 HCA" or search postings by PS regular Mara, you will find she experienced a diamond with an HCA of above 2 that by all accounts was stunning.

3) Finer points of the 2.3 score.......With the HCA, anything below 2 is considered to be a good score. Some people give preference to lower scores, but it is a matter of opinion and tradoff between desired stone characteristics. The reason you stone scored a 2.3 is due to the fact that at a crown of 35 degrees and a pavillion of 41 degrees, light leakage can become a problem. Light leakage is something you want to keep to a minimum. 35/41 angles however do not mean your diamond will not perform as 2.3 is still a good score. Search PS for "35 crown angle" and "41 pavillion angle" and you can see a great deal of discussion about this. Look for AGS certified diamonds on EBAY, input the angles from the certs and you will sometimes find stones with scores of 8 or above. Even with 35/41 angle measures your stone is likely a better cut than most of the diamonds sold on the market today.

4) With regard to 1 carat plus questions......At one carat and just below it there is a substantial jump in the price of diamonds. If you can obtain a well cut stone at just below one carat you will be in the sweet spot of pricing. Use the search feature on the PS homepage to determine what is available in the market currently.

Good luck, and remember that your diamond is beautiful if you love it. The stone you have is nothing to be ashamed of.

These should help:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/preferences-between-hca-holloway-cut-advisor-scores.10434/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-would-you-choose.15402/

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just got the new AGS cut scales. 56 table, 35/41 crown/pavilion angles will be a 2. However that is with 80% lower girdles and 50% stars.

jenjay

Rough_Rock
Rhino,

I am not sure what "80% lower girdles and 50% stars". Please explain.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Proper etiquette would refer him back to DCD. Jim is a standup guy. If you would like information on lower girdles and stars drop me a pm and I''ll link you to a detailed tutorial on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results