shape
carat
color
clarity

Please explain the various safety settings for diamond studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
Hope you guys can assist me. I have pair of diamond studs, total 1 ct weight, originally set in 4 prong white gold with screw backs. As you wise ones know, they are beginning to strip, and no I don't mean the "dancing" kind
2.gif

I need to have these stones re-set before I lose one and can't seem to grasp how the other "locking" settings work. Any information would be quite helpful. I see the words "push back" and haven't a clue how that will be secure on my ear and I've seen the words "locking back" and really don't know what that means.

Any help would be appreciated!
35.gif

PS. I know this has been covered before and I just can't grasp how the different settings operate.

dtexan

Rough_Rock
I believe the push backs are just your typical butterfly backs(that you see on imitation jewelery) with a stronger tension. I''ve been told they are safe but i''m not too convinced. You already know the screw back. And the "locking" one i think you are referring to are the La Pousette backs. I think they are known by many other names some being, Guardian, Alpha etc. Everyone seems to have their own names for it. It''s a flat disc which has two small buttons that you have to press to release the lock. I just ordered some studs and decided to go with this type of backing. I have no previous experience using this earring backing but after all the good things that i have read about it (plus the jeweler also had recommended it), i decided to try it out. I haven''t receieved them yet so fingers crossed :) Also, if you do a search on "earring backs", there are a few threads related that may help you decide.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
There were a couple of good discussions about backs a while ago. Check out this one: earring backs. The push backs are sometimes called butterfly backs, and can be very secure if they are heavy enough. I have the locking backs. They are a flat disc that you push in the sides to lock and unlock their grasp. THey take a little dexterity and getting used to, but are simple once you get used to them. I know there are some pictures of both of these somewhere, but I didn't find them...

edited: hmmm... Steve found them
9.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are SUPER! I have a better understanding now of the "locking" type. I can''t say I grasp the "butterfly" concept as they look identical to all the earring backs that come with any basic earring I''ve ever purchased. So......I''m a bit confused how they stay on, since those always pop off and I lose an earring.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmmmm........ Ok then I''ll just have to make a trip to the jewelers and see what he has. My feeling is that he only uses the screwbacks as that is what the original setting is, but I hope not. I wear these studs daily and don''t remove them that often, so I''m surprised that the thread has stripped already
40.gif

Thanks again for taking time to educate me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results