shape
carat
color
clarity

Please explain ''eyeclean'' ratings to me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My new e-ring arrived this morning and it''s gorgeous. The setting is fluid and beautiful. The diamond has amazing sparkle to it, however, it''s an AGSL VS2 and I can see with my loupe a black carbon speck. Also, it''s an ''I'' color and has some warmth to it. I definitely wouldn''t call it yellow, just warmer than my F princess was.

So I''m undecided about this stone. It''s a great size (.91) and it sparkles beautifully (Ideal AGS000 H&A) and the warmth I can see growing to love (it definitely gives the stone a personality along with the fire in it) But the black speck is annoying the hell outta me!
20.gif
To clarify, you canNOT see it top down, and I''ve only caught it with the loupe top down once so far. And you can not see the black speck from the side either, because of the setting. But you CAN see the black speck with a loupe immediately.

What do you think??

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Eye clean is exactly what it is, you cannot see anything with the naked eye. Now you will be able to find it with a loupe on a VS2. A VVS you may have to look hard but you are also going to pay alot more. No one is going to see it or know it is there and sometimes I think people having a loupe can be a bad for their own good. By your explaination it is a beautiful stone and you couldn''t ask for more. Also the fact that you could pick our your stone is a good thing you know you can always make sure you get that stone back if it were to go in for a check up! Birthmarks aren''t always bad. Your supposed to be excited so be excited and lock that loupe up for a long time! Enjoy!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I need to add that I haven''t taken the ring outside yet and my house if full of warm colored walls. In my bathroom, the only cooler toned room (ice blue walls) the diamond looks totally colorless.

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
Color is one thing, it comes down to either you like it or you don't. There's really nothing that can be done about that. With regard to your questions about eye-clean though, as others have stated, it's whether or not you can see any imperfections in the stone with your naked eye. I'm going to see a cushion on Monday that's a SI2, and I probably wouldn't want to know what's lurking if I put it under a loop becasue it would probably turn me off. However, I'm told that the stone is totally eye-clean and needs to be seen. If that's the case, who cares what it looks like under 10x magnification. The same stone would go up by thousands if it was a VS2, and you would never know the difference. Just my .02

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree that it is considered eye clean; meaning can''t see anything with the naked eye. If you want loupe clean, then I''d suggest getting a VVS graded stone, or maybe even VS1 might be all right.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
My advice to you is to go to the grocery store with it and out in the natural light to make sure you cannot see anything. If not then be happy that is great! I have a VS2 and cannot see anything in it any where even inches from my face. Under the loupe is a different story but I am competely ok with that! Just think the quality you have compared to unknowledgable non Pser''s that have been taken but have no idea the difference between a AGS000 and a non AGS000. Show off that bling don''t wonder if you could have done better! Post some pictures also I want to see your masterpiece!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
This chart from FAQs may be helpful...

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all! I just came back from the grocery store and in natural light and the lighting at the grocery store, it looked totally colorless AND eye clean, and the rainbow of colors and sparkle that were coming from my e-ring were stunning! Infact right now, in my kitchen it looks colorless and inclusionless! I think this diamond may be a keeper after all. The more time it spends on my finger, the comfier and prettier it becomes
3.gif

Wen- I know, I totally need to follow my own advice! And since the spot can''t be seen by anyone but me (or just those who loop it),l I should take comfort in knowing that''s how I can easily identify MY stone. I take my rings in every 3 months for polishes and prong checks and have always wondered how I would be able to identify my stone, just for peace of mind. I do intend to get an independent appraisal done.

Thanks again everyone!! I wil take pictures today
1.gif

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I''m so happy for you! Get us those pics!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry about your princess cut. I have loved the quest setting and the WF setting. But just like the other thread have your tastes changed or what would you do if your diamond chipped- I think I''d get a round too. I just love the OECs that have become in vogue or else a small Aca in a semibezel from WF
Can''t wait to see pictures of your new ring! Congratulations on finding something you love.
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond definitely sounds "eye clean"... but no, it''s not "loupe clean". That bothers some people, other people it doesn''t. (I fall proudly into the 2nd camp!
1.gif
) Some people are quite bothered by it at first (likely because it''s rather "unexpected", perhaps?) but then come to be surprisingly comfortable with it.

I am crazy-obsessed with eye-clean (LOVE IT, NEED IT, GOTTA HAVE IT!), but my thinking is this: if I have to use a loupe to find something... then to me, it''s as good as "not there"! That being said, though... the "mind clean" issue is real, and deserves to be respected, for sure.

But my humble 2 cents'' opinion is, I hope you learn to love and ENJOY it as is (even with its teeny tiny little "birthmark")... it sounds like a KILLER diamond in a very desirable and hard-to-find size!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

ETA: BTW, I just read recently somewhere that many people actually prefer a DARK inclusion to a light one, because a dark one blends in better with the contrast of the stone, whereas white ones can "stand out" a little more.
12.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
It sounds beautiful! I can't wait to see pics.

I have a feather in mine, but I've only seen it on the GIA form. I've never louped it, but I know it's there, and as long as I can't see it, I don't care! (How's that for a mind-clean rhyme!)

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
hi february2003bride! I don''t have anything to add other than I''m really happy that you found a beautiful new diamond and I CANNOT WAIT for some pictures!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/21/2007 11:19:56 AM
Author:february2003bride
My new e-ring arrived this morning and it''s gorgeous. The setting is fluid and beautiful. The diamond has amazing sparkle to it, however, it''s an AGSL VS2 and I can see with my loupe a black carbon speck. Also, it''s an ''I'' color and has some warmth to it. I definitely wouldn''t call it yellow, just warmer than my F princess was.

So I''m undecided about this stone. It''s a great size (.91) and it sparkles beautifully (Ideal AGS000 H&A) and the warmth I can see growing to love (it definitely gives the stone a personality along with the fire in it) But the black speck is annoying the hell outta me!
20.gif
To clarify, you canNOT see it top down, and I''ve only caught it with the loupe top down once so far. And you can not see the black speck from the side either, because of the setting. But you CAN see the black speck with a loupe immediately.

What do you think??
Like parenting, there should be a test to prove if we are worthy.
Some people should never be allowed to purchase a gun or a loupe
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

You should have to hand yours in at the police station FebBride
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results