shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Critique Me!!!! Dress Shopping Trip #1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shimmer, I''m not crazy in love with any of the dresses you''ve so kindly modeled and posted for us. I can tell , though, that you do like the fitted bodice/ball-gown skirt styles and that is great. The thing I would suggest to minimize your shoulders (btw they''re not THAT broad!) is to find a bodice that is not straight across the bust line but maybe a sweetheart neckline or curved. Also, a dropped waist would look beautiful on you. You are definitely a knockout and have gorgeous features and a lovely smile! I know you''re just beginning to look for dresses so this is good, you can start to rule out what does and does not flatter you.

Are you totally set on having a tulle ballgown skirt? I know you mentioned you are unsure as to what type of wedding you''re having, and I like the lightness of tulle but for some reason the dresses you posted remind me more of pageants or ice-skating comps than wedding gowns. Sorry if this sounds harsh or downright mean, I don''t intend to come across that way. I''m thinking that you might look more towards organza, or a silk satin skirt with organza overlay to get that princess effect and ethereal quality that tulle gives. Are you a dancer by any chance? The tulle gowns you''ve posted sort of remind me of tutus as well!
1.gif

The halter is also a good neckline for you, I would suggest keeping the straps slimmer and the rest of the gown simpler, though. I think the halter style draws the eye up vertically and makes your shoulders seem narrower, and of course the eye is drawn up to your beautiful face as well.

HTH, I look forward to further assisting you!
35.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
I like the neckline and straps from the front. I like the beading trickling down. I like the blush pink color detail.

I don't like that it looks large in the hips and from the back the butt looks baggy too... it needs a better cut. I think two upside down pink v's are too much- from the front I like the higher v and the back the lower v.

Overall, it's a no.

I think the smile says a lot. I like the scalloped neckline.

I don't think there is a lot special to this- I think some straps and a drop waist would do a lot for this dress.

Overall, meh.

You don't look too thrilled with it, and really, it doesn't look "bridal." Even if you went with something simple for a beach wedding (if that's what you end up choosing), I think you could do much better than this (though the back is nice).

Overall, huh uh.

The halter style looks very nice on you, but there is too much material at the neck with this particular halter.

I hate the material. Not the type of material but the quality- it does not lay right. This style of dress should flow over your body. From the back it is even more obvious that it's not well made- rumply rather than flowy. This style made better would be stunning on you, imo.

This particular dress... no no no.
This style... oh yeah!

Princess Shimmer is smiling again in the tulle.

I think this one is more flattering than the last- the tulle isn't poofing out at the bottom of the bodice. I think the neckline would be more flattering in either a sweetheart or scalloped.

In the model picture it may be due to the size, but the waist looks more like a dropped waist... slighter lower waist on you would be more flattering.

Just not the one.

#6 (polka dot)
If you're crazy for liking that dress, then I'm joining the club because I love it. I LOVE the bodice, love the horizontal pleated waist, love the material is not poofing out at the hips, love the color. It's soooooo pretty. Definitely try it on and post pics!

#6 seems to be more of the style you want. Try it on and see if it's as flattering as a style like the halter one.

My vote goes for #6 or a style like #4.

punkin

Rough_Rock
I''m with MINIMS and sera, you really look happy in the ballgown style! I like #5 and the polkadot but keep in mind the ball gown style does not have to be tulle. I have a ballgown style but it is all silk. They called it A line but it still has that big skirt look.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2007 4:55:03 PM
Author: shimmer
Thank you so much gypsy, sabine, ebree, indygal & dks! I am getting a better idea of what to look at next time.

I live in a VERY small town and one of the two wedding dress shops burned down! So, there is not a lot to choose from.

Next time I go into Calgary I''ll have to check out the Maggie and Watters dresses (beautiful Ebree!). They don''t carry those ''designer'' lines here (haha, you would think I''m talking about Vera Wang...)

So, in summary, when I go to the city I will look at: halter styles, slimmer silhouettes and skinny straps (but not with a high neckline)....

anything else?
HI:

You are beautiful! And I loved the halter on you as well as the picture of the Maggie. I see you live in my neck of the woods. Have you been to Calgary yet to try dresses? Some nice places........

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results