shape
carat
color
clarity

platium question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi All;
I have a ring that I bought off my mom a few years ago, it is yellow gold and has 4 saphires and 3 diamonds on a shared prong setting. All the stones are not huge but they are a good size, about 1/4 to a 1/3 of a carat each.
The problem is that the woman I am dating like diamonds with platium not yellow gold. While its a pretty piece regardless, I know she would prefer platium.
My question is this, I know my options are having it remounted or having it rodium (sp) plated. I hear that niether option is very good b/c remounting is expensive and the plating does not look very good. What do you all think? Thank you

Phil

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Plating a gold band really is just a stop-gap. It will look pretty nasty when the platinum scrathes off.

IMO You will need to buy a new mount altogether, pay the dough and rest soundly. Hopefully a pre-made ring will surfice as having one handmade can be costly.

The cost can vary depending on who you go to, and how fussy you are about the design. You can mount a platinum head as Steve suggested which is your cheapest option, where the gold band can still be used.

Perhaps you could use the gold scrap to offset a portion of the new ring, or you could take out the three diamonds, settle on a plat design for them and reset the gold ring with rubies or something - they don''t cost much.

White gold is another option. It costs half as much as gold

If you upload a picture we can tell you better what can be done with it :)

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
"thumping you on the head"

Hee Hee
emteeth.gif
, good one Fey!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results