shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum ring bent AGAIN!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But does your fiancee sleep in her ring? You mention that she is being careful and taking it off for activities, but you didn't say anything about sleeping. Sleeping in a ring puts way, way more stress on it than people think, and it does look like that bending problem could be caused by that. Though I agree that 95 plat/5 irid is the wrong alloy to use if you're having bending problems.

I would also talk to them and get IN WRITING that if they continue trying to fix these problems and they are still not fixed, you could get a refund. Don't just take it on faith.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1341860228|3231109 said:
But does your fiancee sleep in her ring? You mention that she is being careful and taking it off for activities, but you didn't say anything about sleeping. Sleeping in a ring puts way, way more stress on it than people think, and it does look like that bending problem could be caused by that. Though I agree that 95 plat/5 irid is the wrong alloy to use if you're having bending problems.

I would also talk to them and get IN WRITING that if they continue trying to fix these problems and they are still not fixed, you could get a refund. Don't just take it on faith.

And confirm they will actually recast the ring, not simply try to fix this one.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesultan|1341858980|3231102 said:
if it came down to it i could get a full refund, no doubt about it. i'm not worried about the refund. this is a jeweler that is known around the city and has been in business for several generations. they deal with my parents and they've been great to me even throughout these problems so i would like to try and settle this with them. they are working with me and won't give up.

that being said, i would consider a refund but only after i know for sure there isn't anything else they could do.

they're going to try something else, i think maybe make the wall a bit thicker and try not to drill the holes down as much. i can report back if you guys like.

Same story for me! Only as things got further down the line, the years/dates/#'s/setting info, etc., all started to change. Not to put your jeweller in a bad light, but sometimes, they really *WILL* say anything to keep you happy/quiet so as not to ruin their reputation and to keep you from talking. I'm probably just overly suspicious... but as Dreamer said to me (and she said it to you too! ;)) ) "if they could have done it right, they would have done it the first time"... and that is what kept me from trying again.

I'm just a little black cloud about this, only because of my recent experience! You do what you think is best... but I honestly think they are just filling your ring at this point, not actually remaking it. It just seems WAY too quick for you to post they were going to fix it - then POOF! - it was fixed but it bent again. Something seems wrong with that picture, in my mind.

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1341865925|3231163 said:
princesultan|1341858980|3231102 said:
if it came down to it i could get a full refund, no doubt about it. i'm not worried about the refund. this is a jeweler that is known around the city and has been in business for several generations. they deal with my parents and they've been great to me even throughout these problems so i would like to try and settle this with them. they are working with me and won't give up.

that being said, i would consider a refund but only after i know for sure there isn't anything else they could do.

they're going to try something else, i think maybe make the wall a bit thicker and try not to drill the holes down as much. i can report back if you guys like.

Same story for me! Only as things got further down the line, the years/dates/#'s/setting info, etc., all started to change. Not to put your jeweller in a bad light, but sometimes, they really *WILL* say anything to keep you happy/quiet so as not to ruin their reputation and to keep you from talking. I'm probably just overly suspicious... but as Dreamer said to me (and she said it to you too! ;)) ) "if they could have done it right, they would have done it the first time"... and that is what kept me from trying again.

I'm just a little black cloud about this, only because of my recent experience! You do what you think is best... but I honestly think they are just filling your ring at this point, not actually remaking it. It just seems WAY too quick for you to post they were going to fix it - then POOF! - it was fixed but it bent again. Something seems wrong with that picture, in my mind.

you may be right. i will report back.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1341853571|3231056 said:
Is it 95% plat and 5% iridium? Because if so, that is the softest of alloys. Our master ring makers here only use 95plat/5ruthenium or 90plat/10iridium which are harder and more durable and more scratch resistant. I would insist on one of those.

Read this excellent article which describes platinum alloys by Mark Morrell:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm

Did you read this? Because it is important. I wouldn't want a ring if it was remade 10 times in 95plat/5iridium.

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1341929421|3231579 said:
diamondseeker2006|1341853571|3231056 said:
Is it 95% plat and 5% iridium? Because if so, that is the softest of alloys. Our master ring makers here only use 95plat/5ruthenium or 90plat/10iridium which are harder and more durable and more scratch resistant. I would insist on one of those.

Read this excellent article which describes platinum alloys by Mark Morrell:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm

Did you read this? Because it is important. I wouldn't want a ring if it was remade 10 times in 95plat/5iridium.

yes i read this. i actually sent the jeweler the link, lol. yes i know it's not my job to do this and he should know but i sent it just so he understands that i know about this and i want the situation rectified.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: princesultan -what's the update? Any news on your ring??

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
hey everyone,

here's the update. been about 2 weeks with the new ring and it has shown no signs of bending. i was told the ring was completely remade with a different alloy (although i need to find out exactly what it was). the ring was also made slightly thicker. the past few rings had a few dents (very minor ones) each time we received it, but this one has shown no signs of any denting whatsoever, which leads me to believe that the platinum is a bit stronger.

so far so good. we'll see if it holds up.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's great to hear, Prince! I'm hoping this will be it, for any further remakes! what a frustrating experience.... fingers crossed no issues arise!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's very good news. I hope it continues to be right this time!

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
well bad news, looks like it's bent again. yup, we're both pretty upset.

so now it's time for me to start looking around to get it made elsewhere.

let me ask you, the ring that i have now has 3 pointers in the halo and the band, could this render the ring structurally unstable? could this be the issue?

the platinum used is 90% platinum, 10% iridium. would white hold solve this problem?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesultan|1348497530|3273637 said:

let me ask you, the ring that i have now has 3 pointers in the halo and the band, could this render the ring structurally unstable? could this be the issue?

the platinum used is 90% platinum, 10% iridium. would white hold solve this problem?

I really think you should return this setting and while you figure out what to do next get a plain band for her to wear and see if it happens with that, then you will know with more certainty if it's her or the actual ring.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, my ring is 90% plat, 10% iridium and I have had no problems whatsoever. I also even have three-sided pave, which is less structurally sound than one-sided pave or a plain shank. The material used is not the problem - the workmanship is. (The other option, which I've already harped on about before, is that your fiancee's wearing habits are doing something to it. But you've never answered any of my questions about them, so we'll ignore that for now.) Given the troubles you've had, I recommend that you have a new setting made by a PS-recommended vendor, instead of trying with another local jeweler.

Also see if you can get your money back. Even though it's outside of the return period, you have had SO much trouble with this ring that you should get a refund!

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
distracts|1348498837|3273652 said:

Well, my ring is 90% plat, 10% iridium and I have had no problems whatsoever. I also even have three-sided pave, which is less structurally sound than one-sided pave or a plain shank. The material used is not the problem - the workmanship is. (The other option, which I've already harped on about before, is that your fiancee's wearing habits are doing something to it. But you've never answered any of my questions about them, so we'll ignore that for now.) Given the troubles you've had, I recommend that you have a new setting made by a PS-recommended vendor, instead of trying with another local jeweler.

Also see if you can get your money back. Even though it's outside of the return period, you have had SO much trouble with this ring that you should get a refund!

yes i'm not saying it's impossible that her wearing habits are an issue, but i highly doubt it.

i was offered my money back. i'm looking into things at the moment.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take the money and run to another vendor!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steve Miller Band said it best in the '70's --- WOO OOOOOO, TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!!!

Go - get your money, look at other options, don't return to this person. There are better rings and vendors out there. You've given them enough good faith, move on.

Trust me, BTDT!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1348501340|3273683 said:
Take the money and run to another vendor!

Yes, go to a good PS vendor. It's just gotta be bad workmanship.

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
this is such a serious PITA.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesultan|1348502740|3273704 said:
this is such a serious PITA.

It doesn't have to be though--if you go with a reliable PS vendor, I bet you will not have these issues anymore. I'm sorry for all the frustration though. :((

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would accept their money back offer and get a new setting done elsewhere. I have two platinum rings with diamonds down the shank and halo without any issues.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1348498334|3273647 said:
I really think you should return this setting and while you figure out what to do next get a plain band for her to wear and see if it happens with that, then you will know with more certainty if it's her or the actual ring.

This is great advice.

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
thanks the the advice guys (even if i haven't listened to what you've all been saying). i actually have a ton of other headaches at the moment so i'll have to look into this in a few days. i'll report back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results