shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

effie

Rough_Rock
The jeweler we have been working with justified his higher prices by saying that he uses "very high quality platinum."

He also says this about the melee diamonds used on the ring, but gave my fiance no stats on them.

but about the metal specifically, i thought that basically there was 900 plat, 950 plat, or that the ring would just be marked "plat." since my ring was marked "plat," and he purports to use such exceptional quality metal does that mean pure platinum or is it just a generic marking that could mean anything?

i may be wrong but it seems like a bit of a crock... i mean, metal is metal right? if the purest form of platinum used in jewelery is 950, what makes his so much better than blue nile''s?

the reason i ask is b/c i want to have my ducks in a row before i meet with this jeweler on tues to get my money back for the custom ring he created for me ( a nightmare some of you have helped out with here

to quickly recap in this thread: brought a design to a custom jeweler, jeweler sketched for us his own drawing, we agreed to drawing, jeweler never showed us wax before casting metal and setting diamonds, fiance brought finished ring home to me, we looked at the sketch and confirmed it looked nothing like drawing, jeweler will give us partial refund, but wants to keep 500 dollars to cover labor costs (despite not telling my fiance beforehand that this was his policy with either a verbal or written contract)

so anyway, if metal is metal, then what distinguishes him from blue nile should be service, quality and craftsmanship, right? (not that theres anything wrong with blue nile...they''re just an example of manufactured jewelry)

so is it true that metal is metal is metal? and how much could 2 of each .03, .02, 015 ct melee diamonds really cost? he told us that was all we could afford for 1500 dollars.

my point is, i''d like to make the arguement that we paid for better quality and service and did not receive that. this all may be irrelevant, since that 500 dollars seems to be some arbitrary after the fact thing...if theres no contract or anything i don''t know how much of a leg he has to stand on. i''ll start a new thread on that question.

thanks for any help. sorry this is a long post again.here

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are different mixes of plat. but the cost of plat. runs the same for the plat. Platinum is more $$ than WG but many times it''s the labor for custom that increases the cost. the tiny melee diamonds are very inexpensive, $20-$30 bucks a piece maybe?

i''m honestly not sure what you can do without anything on paper. I''d hate for you to be out the $500. Hopefully one of the experts will jump in. This place is kinda quiet on the weekends so you may want to bump this thread first thing monday morning
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
All platinum settings are not created equal. When I was having my custom e-ring made, I requested a particular alloy and the jeweler agreed to use it. When the ring came back, it was not what I had requested so I told him to remove my diamond and I went elsewhere. To some people (like me) the alloy is very important. To others, it makes little if any difference. My personal preference is 900 plat and 100 iridium or even better 950 plat and 50 ruthenium. It seems odd that your jeweler says he uses top notch platinum and melee but doesn't disclose the info. After my expirience, I would get EVERYTHING in writing. Here are some helpful links:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/again-iridium-or-ruthenium-with-platinum.7369/

[url=http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm]http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm
[/URL]

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Effie,
I''ve been following your story and I just have to say I really, really hope this works out for you. Under no circumstances should you have to pay that jeweler a dime. My sister & her husband graduated from the UVA law school in Charlotesville and if it comes to that, maybe she could write a letter for you.

Couple new points to your new questions --

1) I believe it is customary (if not required - it may be) for jewelers to stamp platinum with 950 or 900 or whatever the "amount" of actual platinum is used. I don''t think he didn''t stamp because he used 100% platinum. Hopefully some more knowledgable folks will weigh in to give you the info you need to get your $$ back.

2) I looked at the sketch & ring again -- NO WAY. That is in NO WAY a cathedral setting.

3) You should be able to get a very nice setting for $1500 ALMOST ANYWHERE. Your design is very simple and I don''t actually recommend custom for it. That simple, custom will actually cost more than a designer stock piece ... and may not be as well made and you don''t know what you''re getting til the end (even waxes can be deceiving). Maybe a day trip to Wash DC would allow you to see more setting options in person. OR there are lots of internet vendor on here ... Bill Pearlman of Pearlmans Jewelers pops to mind, that have BEEE-U-Tiful settings.

Please let us know what happens. And please name this LOUT on Pricescope so others aren''t taken in by his hoo-ha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results