shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Prongs & Loose Diamond - How Difficult to Fix?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I did some searching and it answered most of my questions but I was hoping for some more specific advice to my situation. My fiancee''s ring was resized about 3/4 of a size. It is platinum, (5% ruthenium). She has a desk job and is very good with her ring. Today she noticed that is sounded loose when she gave it a slight tap with her finger. As it happens, the diamond will spin about 1/8 of a turn. I only did it a couple times to confirm this.

So, my specific questions are:

1) If they tighten the prongs, what is the likelihood that it will come loose again?

2) Could the loosening be a result of the resizing?

My concern is that this will be a continuing thing.

I am going to take the ring back to the jeweller tomorrow and get them to fix it. Still, I can''t help but be nervous that this will happen again but with a worse result such as a lost diamond.

It is a custom setting (including pears set in side bezels) so it would not be practical to swap the head.

I appreciate your responses.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/8/2005 4:18:53 AM
Author: Feydakin
1. About as good as the odds of it becoming loose the first time..

2. If the diamond is prong set, not really.. But you didn''t speficiy up or down on the sizing.. Channel set maybe, bead set, maybe.. But not too likely since this is one of the things that is / should be checked during any work done to a ring..

3. It really takes less than many people think to loosen a prong.. Caught on a thread on a shirt, jacket, swetaer, a seeminngly minor tap aginst a desk top, as long as it''s caught just right, could bend a prong..

Tightening a prong is a simple matter, take it in and have it done and enjoy the ring..
Sorry, I should of included some additional information. It was tight when she first got it. I suppose with her looking at it and whatnot over the last couple months anything could of happened to cause the prong to loosen its grip. After talking with my jeweller, he agrees it is hit or miss in terms of the stone loosening up again. I checked the prongs under my loupe and they are nice and snug now.

The ring was downsized twice actually and then tapped up once. The prongs were not even noticeably bent. Only with my loupe could I see that one had a little gap between the diamond and where the prong comes over the top and pinches down.

Thanks for your response Feydakin.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I have a platinum e-ring. I recently dropped it in the sink twice while cleaning it (from about a foot distance). The drop in the sink must have caused my center stone to become loose.

So, your fiancee might have dropped her ring in the sink while cleaning it. It happens to me all the time with no problem, but I guess this time it hit it just right to bend a prong.

I have had my ring for over a year and a half with no problem up until now. I have had it resized before, too. I''m sure they check all the diamonds after doing work on a ring. I always ask them to.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Someone on here suggested using Windex on my ring. It makes it super slippery, so beware. That''s how I damaged my ring. It jumped right out of my fingers.

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
My 1.82 diamond solitaire was loose in my platinum tiffany setting. I took it into my jeweler & he had it tightened in no time flat. I wasn''t worried about losing it because the prongs are quite large. I could turn my diamond about 1/4 turn & did it a lot just because I could. My jeweler told me that diamonds can actually cut through a prong & it''s a good thing I stopped playing around & brought it in. They made saw blades out of diamond ya know, dummy. Well, the last part was worded a little differently.
20.gif
Then he talked me into getting a new setting instead of matching flanking bands, then he burned my diamond. Sorry, different thread, post, whatever, just had to vent.......

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
My ring was sized and it was loose three days after he now husband proposed. Had it tightened and have had no problem ever since. I think it''s more common than one would think when resizing. Get it tightened and see what happens. Almost two years now for me w/o any problems...and I''m not exactly what you''d call graceful! klr

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results