shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum or 18k White Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shellibelle

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to decide if it''s worth the extra money for a platinum setting, or to go with a white gold setting instead.

If they were both the exact same price. Would you go with platinum or white gold and why would you go with either?

And since they are obviously not the same price and knowing there is a premium for a platinum setting, which would you choose?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum and Platinum for me.

To me, there is a reason that most rings have platinum prongs, says to me that it must be somewhat better or else why would gold rings have plat prongs? I like that it kind of "takes" the impacts without losing metal, and that when you polish it you don''t lose any metal either. It''s a bit more malleable, so a stone is less likely to get knocked out if I smack the ring against something. Plus, I like the patina that platinum gets.

I also HATE my white gold jewelry when it starts to get a bit yellow. I need to get it rhodiumed wayyyy too often, so I think in the long term, plat is a better option for my body chemistry.

At least that''s what I told myself when rationalizing the price difference!
2.gif

shellibelle

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/11/2007 11:09:12 PM
Author: neatfreak
Plus, I like the patina that platinum gets.

Does the patina that platinum gets come off when it gets polished?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is a personal decision with no right answer. For rings I love PLT. I love the whiteness and the weight. For other jewelry I am satisfied with WG. I do have some rings in WG that I don''t wear everyday (my wedding set is PLT and worn daily) Though maybe if they were always the same price I would choose PLT...
11.gif
27.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup plat. for my wedding set and WG for everything else unless DH has a say so and then it''s plat no matter what, god love him, lol!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Platinum for me only because I am allergic to nickel and have other odd skin issues. I also like the weight too!
2.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Tacori and monarch. Platinum for my wedding set and white gold for everything else.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2007 11:35:13 PM
Author: shellibelle

Date: 6/11/2007 11:09:12 PM
Author: neatfreak
Plus, I like the patina that platinum gets.

Does the patina that platinum gets come off when it gets polished?
Yes it does.
1.gif
Some people like the patina though and never have it polished away.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum and platinum. I don''t like the way wg yellows and has to be rhodium dipped.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A jeweler told me that he prefers white gold for more highly polished pieces because it does not get as scratched up as platinum does. On engraved surfaces, platinum is fine because the surface has already been "scratched" but in a pattern. With pave, you avoid the scratches since there are diamonds on the surface, so platinum is good for that. At the moment I have a temporary wg solitaire that is highly polished and still beautiful after close to a year. It is not yellow, but that may have more to do with body chemisty and quality of rhodium plating (or whether it is being worn away by a ring next to it). But if I get an antique set with diamonds and engraving, then I''ll go with platinum. My other items in white metal are all white gold.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 2:00:42 AM
Author: snlee
I agree with Tacori and monarch. Platinum for my wedding set and white gold for everything else.
That''s kind of how it''s going for me. Plat for rings, wg for everything else. If the price was the same I might do plt for everything, but it''s not.
I don''t love the plat patina on my wide band (which really shows it), but I do love plat''s weight and whiteness!

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Well, there are tons of advantages to having platinum - but I just love the fact that white gold is still "gold". I know that makes no sense - I think that it''s a sentimental thing. My great-grand parents had gold, my grand parents had gold, and my parents. Since I don''t wear yellow gold, white gold still has the senitmental factor with the color I prefer. I have had a white gold ring, that I have worn almost everyday for the past five years and it still looks great (even after showering, swimming, cleaning, etc. with it on!)

Good Luck!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOOOOOOOO Going against the grain..... I have had both and have to say that both have their good and bad points.....However, after much money in Platinum I have become an 18-19Kt fan. It feels better on my finger. I love how shiney it stays... Yes you can re-rhodium it but some love the slight warm color that can occur. Platinum and 18kt feel about the same weight but my platinum was always getting dull and dinged up.... Still beautiful but not sure if it is worth the price.... My only advice would be if I were getting a paved setting or a setting with lots of small diamonds I would probably due platinum because it doesn''t wear away...just moves....

Everyone on Pricescope with Platinum has BEAUTIFUL SETS...... But I am loving the 18kt gold sets just as much :)

Sorry sooooo long.... I am loving my 18kt.... Get a bigger stone with the extra money :) WOOOOO

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I''m not familiar with whether the quality of 18k WG differs from country to country, but I got to see how unplated WG looks like at my custom jeweler in Singapore. It looks like slightly tarnished silver to me.

I went for 18k WG cos it''s what my budget allows and cos I also felt tt even if the ring shank get scratched and some unplated WG shows thru, the colour wun be enough for me to notice.

If platinum were the same price, I''ll prob go for plat cos it stays white forever! Everything scratches, so I don''t think the fact that plat scratches more easily will bother me in the long run.

griffiam

Rough_Rock
As others have mentioned, I think that there are pros and cons to both. My wedding set is 18KT WG, and I wear it every day. I am willing to trade the slight inconvenience of having it re-rhodiumed (I know, I''m making up words now) every once in a while in exchange for the shiny whiteness and color. My jeweler will rhodium dip any white gold jewelry they sell as many times as you want at no cost, so "maintenance" is a question of convenience and not cost. I like the weight of platinum, but (and this is purely a matter of personal taste) I don''t like the color as well and I like it even less as it develops a patina.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have initially preferred platinum for my engagement setting, but because it''s a metal halo, with no pave or side diamonds, I''m really glad he chose white gold. I feel it''s holding up better than my platinum engagement ring, as far as scratches and dings go.

I really like the heft of platinum, but I don''t havethe body chemistry that dislikes white gold, so both work well for me.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum for me, especially if the price was equal. I like the perception that it''s stronger, and I have a platinum wedding band of my great aunt''s that has a beautiful patina. Even though I''m not allergic to nickel, I''m sort of paranoid that I''ll develop an allergy and not be able to wear my jewelry.

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
Personally, I like white gold a lot better. I also find that it depends on the quality of the rhodium plating that helps determin when the wg turns to that yellowish hue. My promise ring turned in a matter of months, but my wedding set has stayed white for almost 2 years (knock on wood). I also like the yellowish hue that develops, and I prefer it much much more to the patina that develops with platinum. To me it makes the platinum too gray for my tastes and too dull. Even though the white gold gets the yellowish hue, it still says nice and shiny. Like most of the ladies have said, it''s really a matter of taste! Goodluck with your search!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results