shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum band engraving

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

youngnlove

Rough_Rock
here''s my question...is it possible that a jeweler just forget to engrave the "label" of the metal on the inside of the band? i got my fiancee''s engagement ring at the same place, and it is engraved with "PT950". the band, however, is totally smooth inside. i''m just wondering if this is possibly an honest mistake, or if forgetting this is rather unheard of. thanks for your replies....

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring was not initially stamped PLAT. When my jeweler made it, he forgot. When I had it appraised, Martin Fuller acid tested it and confirmed it was indeed PLAT. The jeweler stamped it when I brought it back. So, it does happen, although I don''t know how frequently.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure what you mean by "totally smooth" on the inside. Isn''t that how it''s supposed to be? What kind of engraving were you expecting on the inside?

youngnlove

Rough_Rock
by "totally smooth" i mean it doesn't have the imprint of the kind of metal the band is made of. like i said, the engagement ring has "PT950" on the inside, and i've seen rings with "14K" or "18K" for gold. there is just no indication anywhere of the type of metal. the invoice i got with the ring says it's platinum and that's how it was advertised.

when you said you have it "acid tested," what does that mean, how much does it cost, and where can it be done? thanks.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Younglove,

Is the ring quite weighty?

youngnlove

Rough_Rock
yes, it feels quite weighty. she commented on that when she put it on. why do you ask?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum is a lot heavier then gold.

It will be as suggested - they all forgot to check. It happens. If there was a trace of the hallmark then we''d think it had been sized, altered and not put back. It is pretty unusual to forget to stamp the ring. The polisher, having made it perfectly smooth certainly would have noticed there wasn''t a stamp.

It is not exactly a times taking job. 15 mins should do it.

My advice, take it to them to have them stamp it.

It can be tested pretty easily. Depending on a few things that I won''t go into, most jewellers who work in plat'' will know by one look. It depends on you how much you want to do, as there are appraisers (and jewellers) with equipment they can use to way lay any doubts you may have. There is a very good chance it is platinum, at any rate.

I would get it stamped - just feels incomplete to me, but that''s just me.

After you get it back don''t rush out, check the shape and finish of the band. The stamping will have left a small bruise. They will have had to lightly file it, go through the stages of emery on the bruised (misshapen) area and re-polish it. It is worth checking that they did.

Cheers,

Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results