shape
carat
color
clarity

Plat prongs on WG band? Color difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bew3994

Rough_Rock

I have a white gold 18k ring and will be getting a platinum head. Should I stick with an 18k or 14k white gold head and not a platinum due to the color difference? Can you tell the color difference with a platinum mounting and white gold band? Is it worth doing the platinum head?

Thanks for your opinions

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a general rule, platinum is a better metal for holding a diamond than gold. A die struck head or a hand fabriated head is going to be moredurable than a castr setting regarldess of the metal if the thicknesses of the metals are the same.

The color difference is visible upon close examination, but I doubt any normal observer could see the difference unless the wgite gold is off-white. There are several standard colors of white gold. The lowest level of white gold is pretty yellowish and someone may see it is a different color.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would get whatever color head to match the band. I have the opposite problem...the dumb jeweler that set my current ring put a white gold head on my platinum setting. The prongs now need to be rhodium plated because they are turning yellow. It''s soooo annoying! I''m going to actually have the head changed to platinum eventually because it annoys me that much. Good luck. I hope this helps a bit.

bew3994

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. That was my other question...... with WG prongs you run the risk of them rubbing and putting a yellow tint on the diamond where the diamond actually doesn''t have any...... am I correct? This is one other reason I was thinking of platinum. I just was not sure about the noticeable difference in the color between the head and band.

Band is 18k white gold
Head is platinum
Diamond is pear shape, 1.31, D, SI1

So with it being a D I was concerned about WG prongs tinting the diamond maybe? I could be way off....

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My e-ring band is platinum and my diamond is set in a die cast white gold head. I''ve never had a problem with my prongs looking yellow, and I''ve been wearing my rings daily, as well as sleeping in them, for close to three years now. I can''t tell a difference in color between the head and shank of the ring at all, and I still check it frequently just to make sure. One of my friends had to take her e-ring (made by the same jeweler as mine) in to have her prongs re-rhodiumed shortly after she got engaged. We never have figured out why her prongs turned and mine didn''t.

I don''t know about the gold rubbing off on your diamond and turning it yellow, if that''s what you mean. I would think if the prongs got SO yellow that there was a visible effect, you might see a reflection of that in the diamond, but it wouldn''t be like a STAIN on the diamond. I''m not an expert at all, though, so I can''t say this with 100% conviction.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I have a D color SI2 marquise in my setting and the white gold isn''t turning my stone yellow but I have yellow gold on my setting (husband did that since I was also wearing yellow gold at the time) so that coupled with the yellow on the prongs does make my ring less sparkly IMO. But marquise isn''t the best when it comes to brilliance anyway so who knows what the exact problem is.
I think a platinum head is definitely better than the situation I''m in. But I''m not a fan of rhodium plating either so I''m going to go all platinum when I get my new ring...I know its expensive but in the long run I think its worth it.

bew3994

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to correct myself, I wasn''t meaning the actual gold rubbing off on the stone. I just meant that after a bit if the prongs rubbed a bit with the diamond the white gold prongs might show a bit more of a yellow tint which might put a hue or color reflecting on the diamond making it look yellow.

Might be too picky but I was just not sure what to do since the ring is 18k white gold. Didn''t know if anyone out there has a white gold band with a platinum setting and can see a noticeable color difference between them?

Thanks again

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Nope...it''s not going to make your stone appear yellow. My stone still faces up very white (as it should if its truly a d color). I just think the yellow makes the whole thing dull.
Hopefully someone can chime in that has the exact same thing as you are looking at. But when the white gold is white next to platinum I can honestly say that you won''t see a noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results