shape
carat
color
clarity

Plastic Surgery Anyone???

spike13

Shiny_Rock
While not literally plastic surgery I had jaw surgery 7 years ago to fix a severe overbite. It was for medical reasons due to wearing of my jaw joint, but it did have an aesthetic benefit of fixing my bite which I was always very self conscious about. That said, having surgery was absolutely terrifying even though I went to one of the best in the field, having my face altered scared me to death. While I do like the fact I don't look like bugs bunny anymore and I can breathe and eat better I still am not used to how it changed my face and never look "right" when I see myself.

Would I do it again?yes because the health benefits were significant. But I can't imagine having another face altering surgery unless it was for health benefits. I've never felt such blinding terror as I did before going into the OR. And the fear of complications outweighs any cosmetic improvements for me.

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
I don't have personal experience, but I do second the urging to take your time finding your surgeon. My mother had breast augmentation in the '70s, paid $2500, and flew to California to get them done and recover. Hers were saline. Ten years later, and then ten years after that, she went back and had scans and examinations, and they've held up so well she's never had to replace them.

However, my best friend got the same surgery but in a local, relatively small town, and despite bad reviews from other patients. Not to be snarky, but the plastic surgeon's office is in the same building as a Jerry's Subs and Pizza. Common sense, right?! Well, she had a terrible experience - the left one swelled, full of scar tissue and blood, to the size of a watermelon - NO exaggeration. All this coincided with her trip to Hawaii as well, completely ruined her trip. I believe what happened is called capsular contraction and is VERY common with this surgery, but hers was definitely a rare, extreme case. She had to have them removed and have extensive, painful repair surgery and new implants put in.

I have always wanted a lift and entertained the thought of augmentation, but her experience and seeing all the fallout has scarred me for life!

ETA - now my friend says she wishes she never got any surgery in the first place.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I had my boobs done in December 2012. After having my son and nursing, I lost EVERYTHING. Literally, I had just nipples and skin, and you could see my ribs. :sick: I had them done and I am sooooo happy with the result! The first few days were pretty painful, I couldn't really move around very well, and I was taking 2 vicoden at a time. After the first week, I was sore, but ok. Just Motrin for the pain. After the second week, I was pretty much back to normal, but wasn't trying to work out or anything... Took a few months for me to feel comfortable with working out because the muscles were still tight and I was afraid of hurting myself. For me, it was totally worth the money and the pain. I didn't feel like a woman anymore, I felt gross and didn't even want my husband to look at me, let alone touch me. Unless I tell someone, nobody knows that I had a boob job. They are not huge, just a normal size for my frame. I don't think that I will be having any more- a lot of people said that it's addictive, but I wasn't really doing it to "look" better (even though of course it is tied to your looks), I was doing it to feel better about my body. I'm sure a lot of people will judge me for this and that's fine. I think everybody has their own thoughts and feelings about themselves, and this decision was what I needed to do for me.

ETA- I did meet with a few different surgeons. Ultimately, I went with the surgeon who was recommended to me by a coworker. She had just had a reduction, and I got to see the end results in person. They looked great, and her personal recommendation help a lot of weight. Another one I met with just seemed like they were looking for your money and didn't care about me as a person, so they were out. Find someone you feel comfortable with!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is amazing to hear so many positive stories! I wish I had the money and the courage for some improvements, but I would be too scared as well.

I had breast cancer and had a mastectomy years ago (as a quick aside, I was very young when I had it, had a bad prognosis but I'm here now, 10+ years later, yay!). When they did the mastectomy, at the same time, they had a plastic surgeon insert an implant that over the next year, she slowly inflated with saline so that the skin/scarred area would stretch/grow back out (I guess in the case of mastectomies, they really want to take EVERYTHING, including skin, so there is no chance of leaving anything bad behind). After a year, when it was the right size, they did another surgery and replaced the temporary implant with a permanent one and, at the same time, did a breast reduction and lift on the other side. In general, breast surgeries are not that painful because there is not a lot of nerve endings in breast tissue (nipples excluded). But in my case (and this may be true of other significant breast implants as well - I really don't know), since they were not leaving any breast tissue, they had to put the implant beneath the muscle sheath/wall, which meant pulling the muscle away from the ribs. Painful? Absolutely. Really. But remember, mine was more extensive and invasive than a normal procedure. That said, if it is like this procedure, I would not recommend it unless you have a high pain threshold.

Since they could not match the new breast to my old size (not sure why in retrospect), they did a breast reduction, and since I had just recently finished nursing two babies, they did a lift as well. That was the best unintended consequence of the whole thing! But I have weenie skin that seems to like reacting to anything (soaps, lotions, hypoallergenic skin products, wool, blah, blah), so it wasn't long before the skin was infected at the scar site. I think I needed antibiotics (IIRC, I was on them anyway prophylactically) and it was painful to touch for about a week to ten days, but then it was fine. All things considered, the breast reduction/lift was pretty easy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, one more thing to add that is critical: only have procedures done when and if your weight is stable. If you think there is a chance that you might gain or lose, try and see if you can do that first and get your weight regularized. I have had friends have tummy tucks and liposuction and then gain weight and have it look similar to the before. In my case, I have unfortunately put on considerable weight since the breast work and now "perky" is not so much in my breast vocabulary, iykwim! :lol:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Hi Minos thanks for sharing your experience and your story. I can't imagine being a young mom and going through what you did! That is amazing!

My youngest is just over 15 months so I want to wait at least another 6-9 months to continue to loose a bit more weight if possible. I do agree though. I don't think PS should be the fix to everything. At least for the stomach area. I have been dieting and working out pretty regularly. I just want PS to fix what I can't.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621 said:
Hi Minos thanks for sharing your experience and your story. I can't imagine being a young mom and going through what you did! That is amazing!

My youngest is just over 15 months so I want to wait at least another 6-9 months to continue to loose a bit more weight if possible. I do agree though. I don't think PS should be the fix to everything. At least for the stomach area. I have been dieting and working out pretty regularly. I just want PS to fix what I can't.

Agreed! Minous, I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. You are strong!

I also agree that PS is not a magic answer. For me, it's definitely a last resort. My youngest child is seven years old so I have waited for improvement. :) I have worked very hard and at this point, I am near my ideal weight and really quite fit. I work out 5-7 days a week. I will only go through with PS if I get to my goal body fat percentage range (20-22%) and I still have this pouch. It is possible that I will only need a mini tummy tuck, meaning no muscle repair. I might just need skin removal. I have researched the method for determining if I have diastasis. I don't think so. I only feel a small separation. Apparently, many women who have been pregnant get a large separation. I've read cases of 5+ fingers width! If no muscle repair is needed, obviously the recovery will be much less painful and much shorter. We'll see what the doctor says next week!

PS for me will just make up for the skin elasticity with which I wasn't blessed via genetics!

In my opinion, plastic surgery is one situation that you can't possibly know what you would do in someone else's shoes. I thought never. Life has shown me that there are few true nevers. If you haven't experienced c-sections and the damage left behind, you can't imagine how it feels. It's like parenting. Many people have opinions on parenting and how it should or should not be done. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, if you have never parented a child your opinion means very little to me. It's easy to armchair parent. The reality isn't so very easy.

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
I'm more of a lurker, but thought I would share. I will keep it brief but can answer any questions you have. I had a tummy tuck just over a year ago. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made! It isn't cheap, but worth every penny. Painful? Heck yes!!! In fact, I have a high pain tolerance and was surprised at how much it hurt. My kids didn't know I was having surgery while they were at school for the day (youngest is 11) and I had to fess up and tell them because there was no keeping it a secret (I actually thought I was going to fake the flu or a workout injury) The good news is the pain is temporary. I was off pain meds in 2 days and driving in four. It is a LONG recovery and the swelling can be awful! In my case, full recovery took at least 9 months. Totally worth it for a flat, tight stomach though:)

My advice...1) research, research, research. 2) talk to past patients. 3) be healthy and at goal weight. 4) ask lots of questions 5) have realistic expectations. 6) your results will only be as good as your surgeon. Never price shop in cosmetic surgery...a good price isn't worth it if you get bad results.

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
I had my ears pinned back when I was 16; now I am in my 50's. Pain wise it is hard to remember but I do remember having to wear a wrap of gauze around my head for 3 weeks (probably has improved since I had it done). No idea of the cost as I was 16 at the time.

Best decision. I could then put my hair in a ponytail, go swimming without trying to pull my hair over my ears to hide them, etc.

Now I am 53 and haven't done anything since, but I have thought about it. Probably won't do any more plastic surgery as every time I think about doing PS, I then think "hmmm, I would rather go on a trip" (and then I go!) :lol:

Do what makes you happy and forget people that are judgemental.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I had breast reduction surgery just over 8 years ago. I'm 5' 11" and a pretty large gal (close to 200 lb.). Had about a pound removed from each breast, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it got rid of the constant burning pain between my shoulder blades. Even though my breasts weren't huge, I had grooves on my shoulders from my bra straps digging in.

I had no pain, only a little discomfort. I think I took one or two pain pills. It was well worth it and it's made things so much better for me.

liz

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1362075617|3392735 said:
It is amazing to hear so many positive stories! I wish I had the money and the courage for some improvements, but I would be too scared as well.

I had breast cancer and had a mastectomy years ago (as a quick aside, I was very young when I had it, had a bad prognosis but I'm here now, 10+ years later, yay!). When they did the mastectomy, at the same time, they had a plastic surgeon insert an implant that over the next year, she slowly inflated with saline so that the skin/scarred area would stretch/grow back out (I guess in the case of mastectomies, they really want to take EVERYTHING, including skin, so there is no chance of leaving anything bad behind). After a year, when it was the right size, they did another surgery and replaced the temporary implant with a permanent one and, at the same time, did a breast reduction and lift on the other side. In general, breast surgeries are not that painful because there is not a lot of nerve endings in breast tissue (nipples excluded). But in my case (and this may be true of other significant breast implants as well - I really don't know), since they were not leaving any breast tissue, they had to put the implant beneath the muscle sheath/wall, which meant pulling the muscle away from the ribs. Painful? Absolutely. Really. But remember, mine was more extensive and invasive than a normal procedure. That said, if it is like this procedure, I would not recommend it unless you have a high pain threshold.

Since they could not match the new breast to my old size (not sure why in retrospect), they did a breast reduction, and since I had just recently finished nursing two babies, they did a lift as well. That was the best unintended consequence of the whole thing! But I have weenie skin that seems to like reacting to anything (soaps, lotions, hypoallergenic skin products, wool, blah, blah), so it wasn't long before the skin was infected at the scar site. I think I needed antibiotics (IIRC, I was on them anyway prophylactically) and it was painful to touch for about a week to ten days, but then it was fine. All things considered, the breast reduction/lift was pretty easy.

My implants are also under the muscle. It did feel very tight, and I still feel pulling when I do certain exercises (like pull ups), but I still think it was worth every penny!!!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
LetItShine said:
I'm more of a lurker, but thought I would share. I will keep it brief but can answer any questions you have. I had a tummy tuck just over a year ago. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made! It isn't cheap, but worth every penny. Painful? Heck yes!!! In fact, I have a high pain tolerance and was surprised at how much it hurt. My kids didn't know I was having surgery while they were at school for the day (youngest is 11) and I had to fess up and tell them because there was no keeping it a secret (I actually thought I was going to fake the flu or a workout injury) The good news is the pain is temporary. I was off pain meds in 2 days and driving in four. It is a LONG recovery and the swelling can be awful! In my case, full recovery took at least 9 months. Totally worth it for a flat, tight stomach though:)

My advice...1) research, research, research. 2) talk to past patients. 3) be healthy and at goal weight. 4) ask lots of questions 5) have realistic expectations. 6) your results will only be as good as your surgeon. Never price shop in cosmetic surgery...a good price isn't worth it if you get bad results.

Thank you, LetItShine!!! I really appreciate the feedback. Can I ask one question that I have not seen referenced specifically? I am curious how long it took before you were back to high intensity exercise. I am a Zumba instructor now and I obviously will be out for many weeks from teaching. Just wondering how many weeks I might expect to be out from even participating in a class. I truly love it and it's my therapy. I always it's my "recess". :)

I wonder how similar it will be to my c-section pain. I have a high pain tolerance and was up and walking on the first day after both. I definitely won't go in for one until I have reached my final goal weight and determined that it just isn't going to cut it for me. Thanks again!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I developed really early and it stemmed like the girls would never stop growing but when they did I was a 34EE. I was always picked on because of them and I'm only 5 foot 3 inches tall so they always entered the room before I did. I had to wear a bra 24/7 so after I had my first son at 25. They were even bigger and lopsided. Finally at the age of 30, I decided enough was enough and researched the surgery and saw three different doctor and finally went with the head of plastic surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. I almost backed out twice but went ahead and I have to say I am very happy with the results.

Recovery was awful. I had to buy a recliner and sleep in it because I always had sleep apnea from the weight of them and could never sleep on my back. I saw so many horror stories of gals nipples dying when they were removed so I was insistent about leaving them attached. Surprisingly, I couldn't change my dressings because the stitches were on the inside, I could see down inside which almost made me faint. Idk why that was so my husband had to do it. I have fibromyalgia so recovery took twice as long. Because they were so large breast tissue traveled to my underarm and I had to have surgery to remove that.

When I got pregnant with my second child, ofcourse they grew and tissue traveled back to my underarm, so I have to have that removed again but am putting it off.

I had hernia surgery six months after I had my second child. It developed from my pregnancy from him. That hurt for quite a while and it was hard not being able to pick my baby up for six weeks. It was weird because they completely detach your belly button so it's looks nothing like it did before but not bad just different.

I have a pretty high pain tolerance and I would say that the breast reduction was the worst of the two, but the perky new twins were definitely worth it. I thought afterwards, it could go around with no bra but it just felt weird. I have two friends that had it done and they went with out a bra and their girls aren't so perky anymore. I don't wear underwire bras anymore. Just a nice comfy supportive bra and they are still perky 13 years later.

I would love a tummy tuck, because I had a c-section with my last child. One of my GF had it done where they cut you all the way around and even when she gained weight her tummy stayed flat which was a shock to me. I'm just not sure I could do it because her scar is not attractive at all. My scars from my BR aren't that bad at all and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was so worth it, the back and shoulder pain is so much better now. And now people finally talk to my face and not my boobs!

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
Purplesparklies--Every surgeon is different as to when they will allow you to resume working out. I would ask during consultation. My surgeon gave me clearance at 4 weeks post op (many make you wait longer). I started slow and have to say that running and jumping took time. I resumed BodyPump at 4 weeks and it wasn't until about 8 weeks that I was doing BodyCombat and BodyStep.

I'm pretty sure that a c-section has a longer recovery since they are actually cutting through the muscle. Do you think you will need muscle repair? If not, your recovery will be significantly easier. The muscle repair is what causes the most pain. My incision never gave me any problems. Also, be prepared to wear a binder working out:(

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tuckins1 said:
minousbijoux|1362075617|3392735 said:

My implants are also under the muscle. It did feel very tight, and I still feel pulling when I do certain exercises (like pull ups), but I still think it was worth every penny!!!

This is off-topic, but ... You do pull-ups? You are officially the only other woman I've ever met "well, "met") who does. How on earth did you start? W/me, my dad put a chin-up bar in my room when I was 11, and I never got out of the habit.

Er ... sorry for the detailing, now back other regularly scheduled programming.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
LetItShine said:
Purplesparklies--Every surgeon is different as to when they will allow you to resume working out. I would ask during consultation. My surgeon gave me clearance at 4 weeks post op (many make you wait longer). I started slow and have to say that running and jumping took time. I resumed BodyPump at 4 weeks and it wasn't until about 8 weeks that I was doing BodyCombat and BodyStep.

I'm pretty sure that a c-section has a longer recovery since they are actually cutting through the muscle. Do you think you will need muscle repair? If not, your recovery will be significantly easier. The muscle repair is what causes the most pain. My incision never gave me any problems. Also, be prepared to wear a binder working out:(

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to know!
I will ask. Just wanted to hear about a real life experience. :) I hope not but I'm not sure. They don't feel separated too far to me. I'll ask the surgeon for his opinion next week. Fingers crossed that my abs are good. They feel strong. I'm sure the binder was delightful but whatever it takes, ya know? On another note, our fitness studio is getting ready to start a Body Combat type class. I'm excited to try it! I've done Turbo Fire and I love that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results