shape
carat
color
clarity

Plant shelves

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Our house has tons of plant shelves high up and I have no idea what to do with them. I am not a fan of fake plants in general, but it seems like it would be a pain in the rear to water plants up so high. Anyone have some decorating ideas or pics they would like to share?

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I have one plant shelf in my two story foyer. I just do different themes depending on the season. For Christmas I had a santa/mrs claus motionette pair, a christmas tree, and hmmmm something else I''ve forgotten LOL. For thanksgiving/halloween I had some harvest decorations. Right now I have two rose trees that I got at Target, a bird cage, and a basket with roses/daisies in it...all fake ofcourse. I''m not much for watering plants myself LOL. For summer we''ll do a nautical theme.

It was very hard to come up with all of it. It was alot of time searching then finding the right combos. I can probably take a picture of what I have up there later but I don''t have any pictures of my other themes.

Good luck...I hope some others chime in with great suggestions. I''m always looking for good ideas for that area of my house
2.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen them look cool with a collection of large urns/vases. Sometimes with curly or pussy willow in them. Also, if you have an outlet, you can put a light behind the vases/urns go give off a nice glow.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I would put a collection of baskets up there, maybe a big copper pot!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Also, if they''re so high that you can''t reach them, would fake plants be so bad? If you got a good fake fern or something I doubt you would be able to tell that it''s fake.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fake plant fan at all (mental block being a gardener!) but I don't like alot of houseplants either. It looks too junglish.

I love the baskets, urns, etc idea...you can use it to showcase funky vases or plaques or artwork (propped up against the wall). I love how in kitchens people will put baskets or copper pots etc all along the top on the plant shelf and kind of break it up with one or two plants and maybe a few other kitchen accessory type things.

We have some plant shelves, well really just cutouts in the wall up top high in our entryway, but I have not done anything with them yet because they are really high (our entry and living has huge ceilings that span the whole height of the house basically)....and I don't know what I want there yet. But we have some on our stairwell which are staggered cutouts (as you walk upstairs they are cutout staggered) so I put things like collections of pictures on one, a bunch of candlesticks and candles on another, a glass hurricane on another, more picture collections, etc all the way up. Only one plant and it was a gift. It's in a beautiful dark green ceramic urn like pot.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the suggestions for baskets and vases/urns...a good friend has a high plant shelf and it looks so beautiful with them up there.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
What about a wreath of dried flowers? If you had one big, bright one then maybe you could off-set it with baskets/copper pots. Or you could do a small collection of smaller wreaths with a few other things up there too.

ETA: still I would not out rule artificial plants. I too consider myself a gardener (even though I'm quite limited in this small apartment
2.gif
), and though most fake flowers/plants I absolutely do not like, I am amazed at how there are some that look good and quite real. Plus being so high up you won't be able to tell much of the detail. I'd start at Michaels to look for them. Ohhh! and if you're still against fake flowers but are open to dried flowers there are a lot of flowers that dry well and keep color. Maybe do a search on google. You could put a bunch in baskets.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a mind clean thing regarding the fake plants. I have seen some very good fakes, but I would know they are fakes and most people would guess they are bc you would need a ladder to water them. I am leaning towards the seasonal rotation and nautical theme- that would be awesome bc we live in FL. I am going to start collecting cool vases and objects as well.

We have plant shelves in our Living room and also in our bedroom. so many possibilites!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results