shape
carat
color
clarity

Pittsburgh, PA and the Laurel Highlands - HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I just booked a weekend away in October to celebrate our 1st anniversary in the Laurel Highlands, with Fallingwater being the principal attraction. We''re staying at a B&B nearby for 3 nights and he wants to spend the 1st night, a Friday, in Pittsburgh. I think it sounds fun, but have never been to Pittsburgh so I''m seeking guidance... where should we stay? What should we do? Where should we dine? and drink? and shop?

We''re in our early 30s but pretty laid back people, not into clubbing/dancing, would prefer more of a pub/coffeehouse type vibe for late evening. Budget for hotel is maybe up to $175 or so, and I''ve FINALLY gotten him into B&Bs so long as they aren''t Victorian frou-frou, but he prefers sleek city hotels.

As for the rest of the weekend, we''re going to see Fallingwater at Sunset on Saturday and I''d like to see Kentuck Knob, but we don''t have any other plans and we don''t leave till Tuesday. Where else should we go? dine? shop?

thanks!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock

You could have dinner on Mount Washington with a view of the city. I would suggest Monteray Bay. http://www.montereybayfishgrotto.com/pittsburgh/ (You could ride one of the inclines while you''re in that area, before or after dinner.)

Then follow up with drinks later in the evening at Bossa Nova, a pretty laid back martini bar/lounge.
http://www.bossanovapgh.com/

The Renaissance Hotel, Pittsburgh http://www.marriott.com/renaissance-hotel/travel.mi is walking distance away from Bossa Nova and is a nice place to stay. I''m not sure about prices though.

Other things to do: there is a science museum, art museums, history museums, etc. What other kind of activities interest you and I''ll find something after work today and post after dinner?

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
There''s a zoo, an aviary (separate from the zoo), Phipps Conservatory,

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, you must eat at Primanti Brothers: www.primantibros.com. They have the best ginormous (seriously huge) French fry stuffed sandwiches. It''s a Pittsburgh must-see. If you like clubs at all, the strip district is fun (they have BBQs in between the warehouse clubs for the club-hoppers): http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/neighborhoods/p/strip_district.htm. We stayed at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pitdt-pittsburgh-marriott-city-center/. The Renaissance Pittsburgh: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pitbr-renaissance-pittsburgh-hotel/ has a great view of PNC Park (also a fabulous attraction... what a beautiful stadium).

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
The Laurel Highlands are beautiful in the fall. You''ll be right next to Ohiopyle State Park. There are many trails with hiking, biking, etc. If you aren''t into that, you at least have to drive to some overlooks to see the wonderous fall foliage! There is a waterfall right in the heart of "downtown Ohiopyle". I''d def. drive through there as its miles from Falling Water. If you want more information about this area, just let me know, as I''ve treked just about every part of that area!

As for Pittsburgh, there is a lot to do. I don''t know much about downtown hotels, but anyone you chose will be nice, and right in the downtown area. Southside has a lot of bars, maybe not what you''re looking for...but does have a good sushi place named Nakama if you are into that. If you are into good wine and ceviche, there is a tapas bar called Ceviche that offers small bites, good wine, good dessert. That is downtown Pittsburgh. Mt. Washington is beautiful and has some wonderful (but expensive) restaurants on the hill. Pittsburgh has trolleys you can ride up the hill, and are an interesting experience! Primanti Bros. is a staple in Pittsburgh cuisine, and although I can''t pinpoint a location off hand, that is also an interesting experience!

If you let me know the specifics, i can try to help more!
Good luck and please don''t mind the "pittsburgh accent".
HERE WE GO!!!
9.gif
9.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
This is why PS rocks! thanks ladies! That restaurant overlooking the city looks amazing! And the tapas martini bar? Totally me! And my DH will LOVE the french fry stuffed sandwiches. I can''t imagine what that must be like, but I know he''ll like it!

As for what we like to do, I might get one art museum out of him, maybe, so long as it''s not too big. He does like history so if there''s a "history of ____" museum, that might be easier. Is the botanical garden cool? The indoor waterfalls sounds kind of nifty. He does like plants. He won''t go to the zoo, no matter how much I beg. I barely talked him into the San Diego zoo.

For shopping, we''re into neat little artsy boutiques focusing on home decor, gifts, unusual items. Not really into clothes and don''t want a bunch of chains as we have all that stuff at home. We''re driving so the car can get filled!
2.gif
Also thinking of going to a winery or two. Any you''d recommend?

The Marriott City Center is in the price range but the Renaissance is a bit high. Are there any cool boutique hotels?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to Falling Water years ago. Are you near Nemacolin? It is a pretty resort with a spa.

Have fun!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Diamond Fan! We''re staying somewhat near Nemacolin. I looked up the rooms there and 3 nights would cost about $1700, so, alas, we''re not staying there this time, but WOW, gorgeous! I might try to get over there for the spa! That would be a good way to experience it and still be able to afford dinner.
9.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there SB -

Unfortunately, the 'burgh doesn't really have any cool boutique hotels...at least not that I'm aware of.

For food - anything else you like? Pittsburgh is a relatively small city, but there are tons of great restaurants there. There is a WONDERFUL crepe place in Shadyside - which is actually where there are a number of B&Bs as well. Also, the BEST sushi restaurant I've ever been to - including NYC and Chicago is in Shadyside. It's name is Umi...and I'm telling you, it is to DIE FOR! Pretty spendy, but totally worth it. If you are looking for a view, and it is absolutely amazing, I'd also recommend the Tin Angel, Isabelle's and the LaMont. All three are located on mount washington and are very good. Depending on where you stay, I can come up with some other recommendations, if you'd like.

As for shopping - Shadyside has some cool boutique type stores as well. There are two main shopping drags in Shadyside, Ellsworth Avenue and Walnut Street. Both are within walking distance to one another. You'll find your jcrews and gaps...but there are some cool stores sort of scattered throughout. The South Side is similar. There are some really neat stores down there.

I'd also recommend you check out the Carnegie Museum in Oakland. I believe it has the largest collection of Dinosaur bones in the western hemisphere. There is also a really nice art museum attached. It is kind of one stop museum! The Phipps conservatory is also absolutely AMAZING.

Honestly, if you were so inclined, I think you could even head back to Pittsburgh and we could come up with even MORE fun pittsburgh stuffs to do!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I lived in Pittsburgh for 18 years so I was super excited to respond to your post ... until I saw that everyone beat me to it with the good ideas!
3.gif

I would definitely second going to Ohiopyle if you''re at all outdoorsy. There''s plenty of hikes from easy to hard, white water rafting (though it might be a bit cold by then), and a cute little town with waterfalls.

I also second Primanti Brothers. Everytime my FI and I go back there (he''s not from Pittsburgh) he makes me take him to a different Primanti''s so he can gorge on their sandwiches. Definitely a fun place. The original in the Strip District is a bit of a dive, which can be fun, but I prefer the one in Oakland by the Univerity of Pitt campus. It has a college-y bar type feel and is a little less dumpy than the original restaurant. Plus it''s a much nicer area to walk around and sight-see after you''re done eating and need to burn off some of that huge sandwich (which not only has french fries, but coleslaw too! yum!)

The South Side is great if you''re into quirky artsy little shops. It also has some great restaurants and bars.

Since it sounds like you''d love Mt Washington for dinner and drinks, I''d check out Station Square too. It''s at the bottom of the hill and you can park there and get some great views of the city, have a drink at a bar, etc. They also have a fountain at night that lights up and sprays in time with music. Kind of entertaining. Then you can walk to the Incline (the trolleys that take you up Mt Washington) and get a great ride to the top. Or you can always park at the top and take the Incline down and back up to your car again too. The Incline is something you shouldn''t miss (unless you happen to be afraid of heights!)

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Oh,and for bars you might like - well, that'd really depend on where you stay. I'd recommend finding a bar near where you end up, if that makes sense...because cabs in Pittsburgh are sooooo unreliable.

The ONE thing about Pittsburgh that totally sucks - cabs.

They are a joke. They simply won't take short fares. It can be darn near impossible to get a cab if you are going anywhere other than the Airport. And often they'll be in front of the hotels...so you can get one going out...but getting home is a much different story! You may have to wait forever...and sometimes they never come at all!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking about the new Hampton Inn downtown. The AAA rate is great and it says it''s walking distance to everything. any idea if that''s accurate?

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 4:20:39 PM
Author: littlelysser
Oh,and for bars you might like - well, that''d really depend on where you stay. I''d recommend finding a bar near where you end up, if that makes sense...because cabs in Pittsburgh are sooooo unreliable.

The ONE thing about Pittsburgh that totally sucks - cabs.

They are a joke. They simply won''t take short fares. It can be darn near impossible to get a cab if you are going anywhere other than the Airport. And often they''ll be in front of the hotels...so you can get one going out...but getting home is a much different story! You may have to wait forever...and sometimes they never come at all!
I didn''t really have a problem with cabs, granted we would take a cab from the hotel to the strip and later call for one for the way back; the rest of the time we walked or drove our own car. At night, the strip is loaded with cabs from everyone calling for them and cabbies knowing that getting customers there is like shooting fish in a barrel. It''s a total free-for-all at night.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
The Hampton Inn doesn't look too bad. It is actually right on the edge of the Strip. One word of warning, the bars around there are pretty cheesy and clubby. Names like "Sanctuary" and "Area 51." Yuck. BUT I did just remember that there is a pretty great Irish Pub down that'a way. Harp and Fiddle. Good bar. I'm pretty sure it is within walking distance too. Not a quick walk, but a walk. OH OH and the BEST DINER FOOD IN THE ENTIRE WORLD - at this place called JO JOs. They only take cash, and are open crazy hours...but they have the best home fries ever. Ommelettes to dies for. They make their own sausage. I miss JOJOs!!!!

The Strip also has sort of an open-air market feel to it on weekend mornings. Great Delis, coffee shops, and little shops you can walk around. Not a chain in the entire place. Now, you are coming in October, so I'm not sure how many folks will be out, but it is something to do.

On, and Eleven is located in the Strip. Pretty pricey place, but they have GREAT food. Gourmet type stuffs - really good. http://www.bigburrito.com/eleven/index.shtml Might be a nice place to have an anniversary dinner!

And I do agree that there are cabs in the Strip, but I think it is because of the high number of large clubs in the area. Neighborhood to Neighborhood is difficult.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
DH and I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh and I''ve sadly never eaten in most of the places suggested! I think DH and I have a new goal for the next few months, LOL. If it wasn''t your anniversary trip I''d say meeting up with DH and I should be on your agenda :).

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have stayed there three times and liked it a lot.

Falling Water is neat. FLW is interesting, I like some of his stuff...but not all. It is odd to think of people really living in it but worth seeing for sure.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
ok, Jo Jos it is! And the Irish Pub sounds like a good bet too. The only boutique hotel I could find was a Victorian B&B and that so won''t fly with DH.

Robbie, I''d love to do a meetup, but this may be the wrong trip for it. Maybe when we get closer to the date we can decide.... maybe for lunch instead of the romantic dinner?

DF, I admire most of his work, but I doubt I could live in most of it. Especially because the hallways tend to be pretty low and DH is 6''3". When we went to Taliesin he had to duck through the halls and stand in the center of the rooms. Apparently FLW was pretty short and said anything over 5''10" was "a waste of good material". He really enjoyed being considered an eccentric, possibly more than he actually was one. And if you had one of his houses, he not only designed the house and the furniture, he put the furniture where he thought it should go and would visit to make sure you hadn''t moved it. WAY too much pressure for the normal citizen. But still, fascinating, especially considering the times he worked in. And I totally dig the built in storage. I wish I had some of that in my house!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results