shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Parmela1

Rough_Rock
Can anyone give me advice on the purchase of a pink sapphire? I''ve decided to commemorate my 30th anniversary with a new ring. Originally, I was going for a bigger diamond. But after looking in countless jewelry stores and web sites, I''ve fallen in love with pink sapphires.

I''ve found a setting I really like and now need to find the perfect sapphire. The setting is a halo that will accommodate a 6.5mm round stone.

Can someone give me some advice on how much a pink sapphire should cost and guidance on how to pick a good quality stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shade of pink are you looking for? Hot pink, a more delicate shade?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Gemrite.com had a nice pink Winza sapphire on his website. It may have been around that size too.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 7:59:42 PM
Author:Parmela1
Can anyone give me advice on the purchase of a pink sapphire? I''ve decided to commemorate my 30th anniversary with a new ring. Originally, I was going for a bigger diamond. But after looking in countless jewelry stores and web sites, I''ve fallen in love with pink sapphires.

I''ve found a setting I really like and now need to find the perfect sapphire. The setting is a halo that will accommodate a 6.5mm round stone.

Can someone give me some advice on how much a pink sapphire should cost and guidance on how to pick a good quality stone?
I recently celebrated my 30th anniversary as well. I received a yellow sapphire that came from http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/
They were great to work with and I love my new ring.
30.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The cost of a sapphire is going to depend on a lot of variables! To mention a few:

1 - Colour - are you looking for a hot pink, pastel pink, orange-pink (aka pad)? The shade and saturation are a huge component of price in any coloured stone
2 - Level of treatment - an untreated stone will generally be significantly more expensive than gentle heat. A diffused gem is heavily treated but will be much cheaper.
3 - Cut - both shape (some shapes have better yield than others, making better use of the rough) and precision vs native
4 - Clarity - do you want loupe clean, eye clean or do you not mind a few inclusions?

Do you have a budget in mind, by the way?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would not buy a pricey sapphire from ANYWHERE unless it came with a reputable lab report like GIA, AGL, GRS, that also included treatement level. I don't think vendor certs hold much water. A reputable vendor should allow you to certify it through their association with any of these labs, and make it contingent on the sale that all the variables add up.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
haahhahahahah..come to the darkside...err....colored side...glad to hear you are doing a colored stone..the varieties are endless and color is king...a pink sapphire should not be hard to find..good luck and let us know what you get

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
What is your budget? Shade? Size? Shape?

Parmela1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the interest!

Here''s more information about what I''m looking for:

Color: Vivid - medium pink (I''m calling it bubblegum pink in my head.)
Clarity: Few to no inclusions
Budget: $1,500-$2,500

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2010 8:43:08 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
How about this one?

link
MTG,
That''s a very hot pink sapphire!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you considered a Mahenge spinel? Many of them fluoresce, which gives them an extra kick in sunlight, and they are also hard enough for everyday wear. Take a look through the Mahenge thread!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Isn''t that pretty! Thats the one Gemrite I was talking about.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
A pink spinel would be nice too. But my experience is that they are hard to find. They can also be moody stones. On the other hand they are less expensive. I don''t know much about pink sapphires. I bet they can do some sort of glowing in the right light though. I mean rubies do and they are almost the same thing.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
PlanetaryGems has some very pretty and affordable pink stones kicking around...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Gemrite sapphire is wonderful. I never knew they came untreated!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 11:11:37 AM
Author: innerkitten
A pink spinel would be nice too. But my experience is that they are hard to find. They can also be moody stones. On the other hand they are less expensive. I don''t know much about pink sapphires. I bet they can do some sort of glowing in the right light though. I mean rubies do and they are almost the same thing.
That is true, and I personally would ask if a stone I was interested in had some UV fluor. It adds that extra punch of color in sunlight, which is rather nice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooops, double post.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the gemrite one. Great color.

Parmela1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions! I''ll look into the Mahnege spinel. I''d like to have a stone that is unusual and I won''t see on everybody elses hand.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results