shape
carat
color
clarity

pie help? please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone here have a foolproof way to get the pie pastry to come out how it looks in the pretty pictures they put in baking books? I''ve tried rolling it out between wax paper, literally freezing the butter and shortening, trying different amount of water, flour, etc---and I have never managed to get a nice round crust rolled out all in one piece and into the pie pan. It''s infuriating!

What generally happens is that the dough is very crumbly and does not roll out smooth, and breaks into several pieces which I then lay in the pan and stick together. The edges are also usually fugly. Tastes OK, though...but I''d rather it look attractive as well!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... the dough is crumbly? Are you adding enough water? Also, don''t work the shortening too much or the crust will be tough, not flaky. When you cut the fat into the flour mixture, work it until the pieces of shortening are pea-sized, and then add your water in 1-Tbs increments until all the flour is moist. Then roll it out on a well floured surface with a well floured rolling pin. How are you transferring the crust from the rolling surface to the pie pan? Try folding the dough onto the rolling pin (hold the rolling pin steady or it will roll the crust off!) and lay it into the pie plate that way. Hope that helps you out!! My first pie crust was gross - hard and tough, because I worked it way too much and added too much water to the dough. Then my grandma and Better Homes and Gardens showed me the light! Good luck!

saturn

Shiny_Rock
Try adding a bit more water before you roll it out, should help with the breakage some.
I usually try to pat it out with my fingers as much as possible before rolling. And be sure to roll it out onto a well-floured surface, otherwise it sticks. It doesn''t really matter what the edges look like, just roll it out to be bigger than you need, and then tear or cut the edge off.

Honestly though, the best looking pie crusts I''ve ever made were just the refrigerated rolled-up kind you buy premade at the supermarket. Remove from package, unroll, and viola... perfect crust.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make your pastry, then put it in a plastic bag and into the fridge for 20 mins or so before rolling it out. I am told this helps the gluten in the flour to relax so the pastry is more malleable and won''t shrink or crack. Works well for me and I always do this. Also you could be adding not enough water or too much, check that but do try the fridge method.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sadly I''ve tried most of them, but the good news is I came closer yesterday. Turns out I had been *too* careful not to overwork the crust..so while it always turned out very flakey, it was terrible to try and patch together. So I worked it longer and added a little more water. Still cracked a touch around the edges, though, and I still have to pick up the trick of tranfering it off the rolling pin into the pan..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do try the fridge trick RT - it has saved me from many failures! Just lay the pastry flat, put the pin near one end and turn the end over the pin, roll it up, lift, then transfer to the pie dish trying to " land " the pastry so the middle of it is central to the dish and unwind it. When you have done that, let the pastry rest again in a cool plave for 10 mins or so, shape edges and press in to side of dish, then prick the base all over lightly with a fork - this helps to stop the pastry bubbling up if you are baking blind. Or if using a filling, you can brush the pastry with beaten egg which helps seal it and bake blind for 10 mins. This helps to stop the filling leaking out or the pastry going soggy
40.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I do the fridge thing and the pricking thing already cause it''s in the recipie I use...the rolling pin thing I need to practice...last time I got it all rolled up and then slipped and the darn thing fell on the &^%* counter instead of the pie plate! Harumph!

The pie tasted different from my usual ultra-flaky crust though, a little softer and more crumbly when cooked. Not bad and certainly easier to work with!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
don''t refrigerate. use more fat. I warm the dough in my hands by working it just a little before rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results