shape
carat
color
clarity

Picture vs. no picture

When deciding to purchase a diamond online, how important would a blown up picture of the actual dia

• Very important (absolutely necessary)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Somewhat important (great to have, but not a deal breaker)

• Not important (cool, but I''ll take their word for it)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

callista

Rough_Rock
I thought I'd post this poll to see how important consumers view online vendors who have pictures of the diamonds they have, v.s those who do not.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this about rounds? H&A? All diamonds?

IMO, there is a difference: two ACA are virtual CCs, two emerald cuts may be night and day from each other worth the usually available numbers allot less informative than they are for rounds.

I can''t ''read'' a 3D Sarin file of an EC... and even if I could... the whole set of info could be one picture. Preferably side by side with IS or ASET because those over ride the issues with different lighting and photographic conditions somewhat.

My 2c. This seemed the perfect place to ask about this.

callista

Rough_Rock
Thanks Valerie for clarifying. I was referring to diamonds in general, but I''m very interested in fancy cuts, especially asschers. So diamonds in general, but more importantly fancy cuts.

callista

Rough_Rock
Oops! Sorry, Valeria, not Valerie!
emembarrassed.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2005 4:59:24 AM
Author: callista
Oops! Sorry, Valeria, not Valerie!
Dunno how I ended up with this avatar
2.gif
It is a tumble mix of the real handful of names, so ''Valerie'' does as well.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think the classic picture of the diamond is very meaningfull at all. By itself it does not tell you much about its cut and light return. You cannot judge color unless the diamond is a "fancy" color. You cannot judge clarity unless the diamond is really bad. The diamond could be a real dog and you don''t know it.

On the other hand; An IdealScope or related light return picuture is an absolute necessity.

Perry

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2005 6:18:35 AM
Author: perry

I don''t think the classic picture of the diamond is very meaningful at all. By itself it does not tell you much about its cut and light return. You cannot judge color unless the diamond is a ''fancy'' color. You cannot judge clarity unless the diamond is really bad. The diamond could be a real dog and you don''t know it.

On the other hand; An IdealScope or related light return picture is an absolute necessity.

Perry

Second every bit.

It doesn''t take allot of imagination to show anything in the ''best light'' (pun intended).

Shape shows though, and that means allot for anything not round - IMO.

I am also a fan of the reflector pictures, but no matter how informative they might be, something that looks like a diamond is still lacking there. Especially since having one of those you know a natural light picture had been just a click away at some point. Rather frustrating... If only given a parrot-colored ASET picture, it takes a certain leap of faith to believe that is the diamond in cause. Paired with a ''normal'' looking one, it is easier. Am I the only one to think so?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The lack of uniform lighting from one vendor to another makes photographic comparison impossible unless only one vendor's diamonds are being compared and each was photographed in identical lighting.

One then must rely that digital adjustments and touching up are not done or done in a uniform manner. This is very unlikely to happen.

Images of H&A, especially the hearts, are quite difficult to photograph well. Ideal-Scope images are easy enough, but again, the uniformity of lighting comes into question. People are very tempted to alter Ideal-Scope images or to use incorrect lighting and that will compromise the value of images offered.

I think seeing the Outline of the shape of fancy shaped diamonds IS important and a photo will do the job. For that reason, I'd accept the importance of a basic image. I have a Shape Selector program which runs on my website that allows communication on OUTLINE between buyers and sellers. It is an important aspect of how pretty a diamond will look in a fancy shape.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, the picture is absolutely necessary. While I know that different vendors have different setups, lighting, etc, I'd need and want to see the actual stone I'm considering purchasing, rather than a generic 'photo.' There are several sites that just have a picture of what a pear shaped diamond looks like. I know what it looks like - I want to know what the actual diamond I'm considering spending thousands of dollars on looks like!!!!!! How does the bowtie look? Is the shape outline appealing? What does the l to w ratio look like? These things cannot be conveyed by a prototype.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 2:34:24 PM
Author: FireGoddess
For me, the picture is absolutely necessary. While I know that different vendors have different setups, lighting, etc, I'd need and want to see the actual stone I'm considering purchasing, rather than a generic 'photo.' There are several sites that just have a picture of what a pear shaped diamond looks like. I know what it looks like - I want to know what the actual diamond I'm considering spending thousands of dollars on looks like!!!!!! How does the bowtie look? Is the shape outline appealing? What does the l to w ratio look like? These things cannot be conveyed by a prototype.
DITTO. And yes while a picture doesn't convey everything I need to know in one fell swoop (other things I also require..), it does often help me personally to look at a 40x mag and be able to pick out facets, inclusions, the arrows, etc. It helps me further visualize the stone. And when I'm spending any decent amount of money on something like that, I wanna see a picture!
9.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Agree with FG and Mara I would NEED to see pix, esp with asschers to see the uniformity of facets, symmetry, location of inclusions etc. Although there are certainly some people on PS I would trust to be my eyes.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would not buy without a pic.

unclefunta

Rough_Rock
If you are considering a fancy diamond like an oval or escher then I would say it is VERY important to have a photo. I just went through the entire online purchasing process for an oval diamond. After that experience, I don''t think I will ever buy another fancy shape over the internet without a picture.
I ended up returning my first pick because I didn''t like the excessive bowtie, a characteristic of some fancy shapes that can''t be predicted through measurements.
Most online companies I have found will not pick up the tab for return shipping costs, which quickly add up with insurance. I paid almost $120 to return my first stone.
At the very least, you should have someone at the company look at the stone before they ship it out. Have them make sure that the stone fits all of your requirements ahead of time. This will save you time and money down the road.
If you are looking for a round diamond, then I would say that it is not as important, just as long as you have access to all the necessary cut measurements and angles. With the right information, you will be able to accurately predict how a round stone will perform. Still, as they say... "A picture is worth a thousand words."

9.gif

Good luck.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2005 2:28:55 PM
Author: oldminer

The lack of uniform lighting from one vendor to another makes photographic comparison impossible unless only one vendor's diamonds are being compared and each was photographed in identical lighting.

[...]

I think seeing the Outline of the shape of fancy shaped diamonds IS important and a photo will do the job. For that reason, I'd accept the importance of a basic image.

There may be something about these pictures beyond comparison... Just a thought:

Good, bad or ugly, IS or not, those pictures are a promise - that the diamond received will look like that. So out of this world lighting, heavy handed Photoshop and what not, are only as good as the object at the end of the line.
As long as there is a return policy. Insofar, almost every seller ever mentioned here has one.

Perhaps the light in my place does not look precisely like the sellers' And it may be that checking IS or ASET is a bit tricky (how many do it anyway), but the more surreal the presentation pictures, the harder they are to reproduce. There may be some wishful thinking, some fashion and some software glitches involved, but common sense should help.

Just thought I'd mention. Because standardizing photographic setups seems a very, very long distance away. Sadly so.
38.gif
And pictures so naturally desirable, it is hard not to find some reason to justify their presence despite the obvious shortcomings.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
the first law of buying asschers online is get good pictures
second law of buying asschers online get good pictures.
third law - see first and second law.

soon to be the new third law: get aset photos
then forth will be see first 3 rules.

id never buy an asscher online without photos.

Rounds there a dime a dozen id rather have a helium scan report and a dmc file based on the helium data.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
With fancy cuts you have to have pics wouldn''t think of buying without them. Especially asschers!!!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Like the consensus, if I were buying anything besides a round, I''d have to have a photo. Especially for shape-sensitive cuts like a pear or a heart, I think the outline of the stone has a lot to do with its aesthetic appeal, whereas a radiant''s measurements will give you a good idea of its shape.

Rounds, I''d be just fine with the inclusion plot, an IS, and an honorable vendor to vouch for eye-cleanliness. Half the time I can''t even see inclusions on a 40X round unless Ana has circled them to point them out,
9.gif
so me looking at it doesn''t do me much good.
2.gif

callista

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for their opinions and valuable insights. The real reason I posted this poll was because I was searching for asschers on an online vendor''s sight and when I inquired about the stone for pictures, they simply responded,

"Unfortunately, photography does not do justice to diamonds and to photograph each stone would be too time-consuming." Really? No justice, hmmm????

When I responded,

"How can your clients be reassured of the quality of the diamond based on numbers and the certificate alone? Do you call in diamonds for a fee for clients to view? And if so, what do you charge?"

They responded,

"We fully guarantee the diamond and all of the information we described, will match the certificate. In addition, we do own or get a hold of all the stones we have listed on our website – if there is a stone you are looking at, we do have a showroom in NYC where you can see any stone." (I live in CA.)

"I am not sure how photographing the diamonds will be any more of a guarantee." ????

What is everyone''s take on their responses?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
my take...
call Tim at www.goodoldgold.com and forget about them.
because they are idiots and gave you bad advice.
www.goodoldgold.com

callista

Rough_Rock
I''m reading over their response again, and I think when they responded anymore than a guarantee, I think they are referring to seeing them in their showroom. Am I correct?

Still, not everyone lives in NY, like me, who can pop in to their showroom and view their diamonds. So how can someone just take their word for it? There always differences in opinons on what is ideal and what is not.

callista

Rough_Rock
Hahaha Strmrdr!

I know, I should just forget about them. Just goes to show you the different spectum of the very good online vendors and not so good online vendors!

I''m definitely planning on getting in touch with goodoldgold.com on purchasing my asscher this coming year! I can''t wait!
emwink.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2005 5:03:30 AM
Hahaha Strmrdr!

I know, I should just forget about them. Just goes to show you the different spectum of the very good online vendors and not so good online vendors!

I'm definitely planning on getting in touch with goodoldgold.com on purchasing my asscher this coming year! I can't wait!
emwink.gif

kewl :}
have them call in a couple and post the info and we will help you pick when the time comes.
Hopefully by then he will have the bugs worked out of ASET photos and the ultimate pattern eval tool will be available for use :}

Asschers are very sensitive to tilt when taking pictures and the desktop ASET the diamond will be sitting on the table so no tilt and the aset does an awesome job of showing the pattern.
I cant wait for them to be available.
check out this thread for a sneak peak :}

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asschers-and-aset-a-sneak-peek.35080/

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2005 4:56:11 AM

They responded,

'I am not sure how photographing the diamonds will be any more of a guarantee.' ????

What is everyone's take on their responses?

I am not sure how photos would be a guarantee either.
34.gif
(Following the post by David Atlas on this thread.)

However, something has to be. The lab report tells you the color and clarity grades, weight and size... that is great, but what tells you what this diamond looks like and whether you would like it over a few others (i.e the next one you may happen to see)?

It may help to send the link to this thread to the seller. Chances are you are a new type of customer to them, and they do not what you expect from the pictures and may try to accommodate your request somehow. At least, I would try.

My 2c.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
even with rounds, a picture will help. It may not show you the diamond you really want, but let us assume that it IS the best possible picture. What happens when it totally sucks? Then you can steer clear of the diamond. Photos may not be the best to ensure you are getting a great diamond, or super helpful in picking between a branded stone vs. H&A, an ACA vs. an EightStar etc. But it can tell you if you are going to hate the diamond. Not to mention, it is a photo of a stone you may some day own, that you probably could never get on your own, especially if it is mounted. That matters for some of us. I love that i have a picture of my diamond and sapphires unmounted, next to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results