shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics from Russia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just returned from St. Petersburg Russia with a short stay in Helsinki and a one day trip to Estonia. Didn''t take many pictures this time. The sheer grandeur of St. Petersburg can''t be captured in pictures. Every single Russian we met was friendly beyond belief. Estonia is a republic a short ferry ride across the Bay of Finland. Tallinn is its largest city and within it is preserved the medieval walled & turreted original town.

Church of the Spilled Blood where Emperor Alexander was slain in 1881.

spilledblood.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another aspect of church

spilledblood2.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Summer garden of Peter the Great. His summer palace is quite a modest place.

petesgarden.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
St. Peter''s is called the Venice of the north. It''s built on several islands surrounded by rivers.

canal.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neva River and view of the area where the Hermitage is located.

nevariver.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Hermitage. Incomparable works of art within. And the architecture and majesty of the interior rivals the great works of art. Unbelievable. We didn''t pay the extra fee to take pics of the inside so ya''ll will have to do a Google
1.gif

hermitageoutside.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Walls & turrets surrounding the medieval town of Tallinn

tallinn3.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tallinn view

tallinn.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Church in Tallinn

tallinnchurch.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing! Wow, what they call Venice North does sort of look like Venice.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Incredible pictures, thanks so much for sharing!!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
Your pictures are fantastic. Everything looks so romantic.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Matata, your pictures are always so gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. A friend just returned from a business trip to Finland and Estonia and she was stunned by the beauty of Finland and really enjoyed her time in Estonia, except the language barrier marred the experience a bit. I know this has nothing to do with your pictures, except that you mentioned it in one of your posts.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what amazing photos.

I saw an exhibit that traveled from the Hermitage and was all about the Czar Nicholas and his family and the Bolsheviks and the Russian Revolution and Rasputin. There were jewels and Faberge eggs, it was amazing. It will never likely leave Russia again.

St Petersburg was formerly Leningrad, right? It looks lovely, less dark and forbidding that I would image Moscow to be. Did you feel safe there? I know some Americans who went there in spring and had some issues so I am curious.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Amazing! Thanks so much for posting.
My husband would very much like us to visit Russia... after looking at your photos, I''m interested!!!!
Coming from Australia''s north, I constantly refer back to the state of the weather whenever I think about venturing too far north...
32.gif

crazy I know... my time in the UK was marred by my constant evaluation of how cold I was! However, I will promise to be brave next time!!
Thanks again for the pics, they are fabulous!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures Mat!!! How lucky you were to visit there.

Linda

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Matata, I was in St. Petersburg in June 1991. I was there the day the city voted to change its name back from Leningrad to St. Petersburg. There were people marching in the streets and Eurpean TV and American TV crews were everywhere. Boris Yeltsin marched a few feet away from where I stood. It was an incredible time to be in an incredible, beautiful city. The sun stayed out until 3:00 am every day. It''s one of the best memories of my life. Your pictures brought it all back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results