shape
carat
color
clarity

Pick my diamond! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoZO

Rough_Rock

I hope you all do not find this redundant.

I really enjoyed reading through the recommendations posted under the original "Pick My Diamond" thread.

So here it is. I apologize if I do not sound knowledgeable. I have learned a lot about cut, clarity, color just this past week.

I am looking for an engagement ring for my GF.

My price range is a bit higher with up to $6000 (Band, Setting, Stone)

If possible I would like to get a white gold setting and matching band along with the stone. Although I am willing to purchase a good priced stone seperatly.

This is a setting I found I really liked.

DM03400200_AB03400200_RD_100_zoom.jpg

I also want the Hearts & Arrows cut Diamond.

I just found this site and look for ward to any Stone and or combo recommendations.

I really would like to purchase from Whiteflash or Good Old Gold since they seems to have nothing but happy customers on this board.

Thanks,

Freddy

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My basic recomendations go along these lines:

1) If you want to buy a fantastic looking diamond "Now" with lots of documentation on why it is fantastic looking without spending lots of time researching the options go directly to NiceIce or Good Old Gold.

2) If you want to buy a fantastic looking diamond "Now" with some or little documentation on why it is fantastic looking without spending lots of time researching the options go directly to Winfields-Infinity line or 8* (Wink Jones), WhiteFlash - A Cut Above Line, Superbcert

3) If you want to buy a fantastic looking diamond, do not care about how much documentation you get, and want the best price and can take some time - their are many vendors who can help you and posting here on Pricescope can help you find them (Prearlman''s, Geoge Allan/Dirt cheap, etc).

4) If you want to buy a fantastic looking diamond at the best possible price and can take weeks to months to learn about diamonds - welcome to pricescope. Hang arround a while, buy an idealscope, and have fun. But, a surprising number of these people end up buying from the vendors listed above.

In your case; why don''t you just call Good Old Gold and Whiteflash and tell them what you want - and see what they can offer. Then you can do a quick comparison and make a choice.

Best of luck.

Perry

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Are you definitely looking for a round? What characteristics are most important to you?

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Redundant? Heck no!
9.gif
I appreciate all the good sports on my thread so I''ll return the favor by jumping in on yours... "Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert and bow to the superior judgment of probably 50% of this board. This is just my opinion."

Okay then!

I like the style you''ve picked, but unless you''re dead set on buying them both from the same place, I''d consider this set from Signed Pieces (although I''m sure your other vendors can produce an identical item, if you asked):

15456.jpg

The set is $2872, which leaves you with $3128 for the center stone.

Might I suggest:

.81 H SI1, $3294 (before PS or bank wire discount)
IS_AGS-6747207.jpg

.77 I VS1, $3073
IS_AGS-6747302.jpg

.76 I VS2, $2873
IS_AGS-6747303.jpg

Those were just a few on a quick search, you may have more or better mileage (or specific guidelines for your stone!).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There's one thing with these channel set bands... they run relatively wide and some find that this makes diamonds look smaller. Ok, I am not sure of that, but the current of opinion runs strong. If having the channel set ring also means getting a smaller diamond - that would be double true. Hopefully there are nicer examples of such settings than the one at BN... I am not crazy about the fact that the ring does not fit the stone with these two-part settings (the head holding the diamond is a separate piece, so the same shanks can fit various orders).

Just a thought...

Date: 12/13/2005 7:58:56 PM
Author:GoZO

I am looking for an engagement ring for my GF

[...]

This is a setting I found I really liked.
Well, it looks like the setting will take a good part of the budget. Are you sure? Especially if you are not sure this is the girl's prefference all the way, betting on the diamond to go right is safer. Rings are more of a matter of taste, and few really HATE a simple well-done solitaire with a large stone taking center stage. It would make your shopping easier too.

I have not went back to the other thread and have not started out with a seller in mind... It so happens that WF has the largest inventory and several 1 carat-ish options turned out on their list.

This one looked relatively large and relatively clean on the list of 1-1.2, G-I, SI1 things the search engine above pulled up.

LINK

The stone could come in a temporary setting ($50 or so).

As you must have seen... there's no budget left untouched on this forum!
31.gif

I wish there was a suitable stone at Wink's because of this setting, but they could probably find one for you anyway. Even in the KISS department, there are more rings (including WG) to choose from - some rather attractively priced. And Wink's shop makes a point of having these otherwise traditional settings perfectly finished. There have been some examples to prove it around here.

Oh well... there's allot more out there. These just came in handy.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there Gozo,

This is my advice to you. For the moment, forget the setting. Concentrate on finding the best spec diamond you can for the budget you are working with.

I''d find the best solitaire i could afford, and mount it in a plain setting (4 or 6 claw) Simple classic design that never dates.

If you girlfriend expresses a preference for something a bit more elaborate, you can always upgrade the setting at a later date. (very easily).

You really should be able to pick up a lovely diamond with your budget. But take your time choosing.

best wishes dyanne
35.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like the set you posted is from Blue Nile. Since it is only $825 for white gold, I could probably go with that one as you can put more money toward the center stone. The diamonds also go only halfway down the band, which also saves money.

Since BN will not sell a setting by itself, I did a search on their database for ideal cut rb''s in the $4000-$5000 range. It came up with 141 matches. I then sorted the list by looking at polish/symmetry. BN doesn''t list the crown and pavillion angles so it would be hard to narrow down that list further; you may want to call them and see if they can provide than information to you. I also don''t know if any of their stones are H&A.

I''m assuming if BN carries that setting in white gold, other companies must. I couldn''t find that exact setting on Stuller; you might want to give Good Old Gold a call and see if they know what stock number it is. Lets assume they have it, then you probably have around $4500 - $5000 for the center. Assuming she wants a round, here''s a few choices for you:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_925ct_g_si2_h%26a.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_91ct_h_vs2_h%26a.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_90ct_i_vs1_h%26a1.htm

Hope that helps! If you plan on getting this ring in time for christmas, I wouldn''t waste any time contacting them. This is their busiest time of year.

Good luck!

GoZO

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the advice and support. I really appreciate your insight and knowledge in this area.

Focusing on the stone is what I am going to do now.

I am going to research the stones you mentioned above.

I want a diamond that just looks like its on Fire. 1ct is my range..

So my efforts now will be focusing on a stone in the $4000 $5000 range

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results